Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Alphabe~Thursday The Letter "H"


“H” is for Old Names

Hortense ~  French given names that comes from Latin meaning gardener.

Hyacinth ~a flower with incredibly fragrant blossoms.

Hannah~ From the Hebrew name Channah meaning "favour" or "grace"


Hazel~ English for a tree or light brown color. My grandmother’s name.

Helen ~English form of the Greek Helene, "torch" or "corposant", or possibly related to Selene the Greek goddess of the moon.

Harvey ~English From the Breton given name Haerviu, which meant "battle worthy", from haer "battle" and viu "worthy.” This was the name of a 6th-century Breton hermit who is the patron saint of the blind.

Hirum ~meaning "exalted brother.” I actually know a Hiram.

Old names.

Just to name a few.

Do you have an old name?

Do you know the meaning behind your name?

 

Thanks for stopping by. ~Ames

 

To return to Jenny Matlock’s Alphabe~Thursday click here:


6 comments:

Jo said...

well, I don't have an old name ... but I am old .... and I have a name ... does that work for ya!!! hugs to you!

BECKY said...

I'm named after my paternal grandma. Her middle name was spelled Rebekah, which is pretty and "old"! Although, I do like mine better because it's "younger"! LOL (Rebecca)

Sue said...

I think Susan has become an "old" name. It means lily.

=)

Jenny said...

I love the name Hazel... It is so pretty!

I have never heard the meaning of Jenny before...

But I am strongly considering changing it to Helen because, to me, "torch" means a warm heart and a fire-filled spirit... ((winkwink))

Thanks for linking to the letter "H"!

A+

Natsu Uaganda said...

Get Hourly profit for 200 hours on every hour without any risk and without any work, best business plans ever
AllTimeProfit.com

deborah harvey said...

helen is greek and means 'from lower greece [hellas]. it is where the word cellar originated.just means a greek woman.
susan is hebrew 'shoshanna' meaning rose, according to my sources.