Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Alphabe~Thursday The Letter "X"


Hi all!

Welcome to this week’s letter “X” of which I can find no city or town in Florida that starts with an “X”.

But I do have some “Xtra” things to share with you.

Did you know?

Florida is the second largest state (land area) east of the Mississippi River.

The largest state is Georgia! (This is up for debate) :)

 

Actor Ben Vereen was born in Miami Florida.

 





Singer Jim Morrison (The Doors) was born in Melbourne Florida.
Clearwater Florida has the highest rate of lightning strikes per capita in the United States.
The Ripley’s Believe it or Not building  in St. Augustine, Florida was originally the Castle Warden, an 1880′s poured concrete castle.
Originally built by Standard Oil partner William G. Warden, it later became a classy hotel when owned by Pulitzer Prize winning author Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings (“The Yearling”) and her hotelier husband Norton Baskin.
Marjorie Rawlings
The world's longest and deepest known submerged freshwater cave system in the world is Wakulla Springs near Tallahassee, Florida.
Gatorade was named for the University of Florida Gators in Gainesville, Florida, where the drink was first developed.
A crypt in Key West is inscribed "I told you I was sick."
Stephen Foster
Stephen Foster, who wrote "Old Folks at Home," Florida's state song, never even saw the Suwannee River, nor did he ever step foot in Florida.
~~~~~*~~~~~
Well that is just a little something “X”tra to share about Florida.
See you next week for the letter “Y”. 
Thanks for stopping by! ~Ames
To return to Jenny Matlock’s Alphabe~Thursday click here:

 


13 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a fun post! I wondered what it would be and you made it fun! I love Clearwater...I'll have to remember this interesting stat! lol Hope you're having a good week! When this crazy weather and WIND dies down, we're headed back! I can't wait!

Della said...

Very interesting! I learned something new, and have a couple of new places to add to my Must See list. Thanks Ames! I love Clearwater, too!

Sue said...

Some very interesting Xtras you've got there!

=)

Sue McPeak said...

Xtra interesting XFacto's about Florida. Funny thing to put on a tomb stone...I guess he got the last word that way. Hope all's well with you...miss ya!

Boo and Happy Halloween!

Sue said...

PS. My offering today is a Halloween story poem if you'd like to take a look before the 31st passes us by:

Halloween Horror: A Ghostly Tale

Betty (picture circa 1951) said...

I just learned some things about Florida today! Very interesting post.

JJ said...

Ames: I believe Illinois and Michigan are both east of the Mississippi with a greater land area than Florida.

Riet said...

THank you for teaching me a bit more about Florida. It is one of my favorite countries in the world and we have been there more than 10 times . Most times we were in Key Islamorade and we loved it there. It is so beautiful.
Have a nice weekend

tidbitsandtreasures2011 said...

Lots of good factoids about Florida. I knew about lightning (Tampa calls itself the lightning capital of the world!), but I had never heard that Gatorade was named after the Gators.

anitamombanita said...

Hey Ames, I've had a most eXcellent time following your Floridian adventures... but I'll be making a little eXit as you'll see if you visit this week...It's been fun. Will miss you.

cj Schlottman said...

Thanks for enlightening me! I loved your factoids, and it was a treat to be back reading you!

Namaste...................cj

Annesphamily said...

How the heck did I miss the letter
X ? I will double up this week.

Love this post. Always so fun to get some info from you Ames!

Hugs to you!

Anne

Jenny said...

Wakulla springs looks refreshing and lovely.

Is that clear fresh water or that sulphur water?

I wondered what you would come up with for the Letter X!

You're always so xcellent with these challenges!

Thank you for linking.

A+