Friday, October 12, 2012

Alphabe~Thursday the letter "U" is for.....


Umatilla, Florida

Motto: "Gateway to the Ocala National Forrest"

And


It is home to the Harry-Anna Crippled Children’s Home.

Harry Miller, and his wife Anna, donated their three story hotel in Umatilla to the Elks Club project for crippled children. It was renamed the Harry-Anna Crippled Children’s Home. That was very generous.


Downtown Umatilla
Not really much to tell about Umatilla other than it has a colorful past that relates back to a seven term Lake County Sheriff by the name of Willis Virgil McCall.
*Just for the record, I don’t think any Sheriff should be allowed to sit in office for seven terms.
Several incidents regarding Civil Rights Violations, beatings and murder occurred during Sheriff Willis’ 28 year tenure; The Groveland Four, The Harry T. Moore bombing, The Platt Children, and The Vickers incident.
*Once again, Florida’s ugly past rears its head in my blog. The past plays a role in shaping Florida’s future so I couldn’t leave it out.
McCall published a memoir about his experiences, The Wisdom of Willis McCall, in which he defends his long career as sheriff and responds to his critics. He died on April 28, 1994 at the age of 84. His reputation was so damning even the Lake County Commissioner’s voted unanimously to remove his name from a county road.
Another book relating to this violent Sherriff is The Devil in the Grove by Gilbert King.
If you are interested in reading more about this notorious Sheriff you can Google Willis Virgil McCall and learn more about the incidents cited above.
Now for something really ugly….
I got all my stitches out and boy is it sore!
~~~*~~~
Well that’s my contribution for this week’s Alphabe~Thursday.
“Umatilla“ and “Ugly”
Thanks for Stopping by! ~Ames
To return to Jenny Matlock’s Alphabe~Thursday click here:
 October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.


15 comments:

Jen said...

Oh my....your hand...I hope you feel better soon. Not ugly...just painful looking.

lissa said...

umatilla - what a name, I keep pronouncing it wrong each I read it in my head. great U post.

have a sweet day.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How interesting! I did not know much about this town. I am hoping for your speedy healing my friend! Take care of yourself! Sweet hugs!

Della said...

I know where Umatilla is. My dads old address was Umatilla, even though he actually lived in Marion County, not Lake. His place must have been real close to the county line I guess.

That is really cool about the children's home. What sweet people they must be.

Oh your hand looks painful still, but better than it looked before. Hope it gets better soon!
Have a great week Ames!

Jo said...

okay, your hand ... not so ugly and it looks like it is healing up rather nicely ... sending you some more healing thoughts and prayers ...
Umatilla looks a little too quiet for me ... and the sheriff ... i will be googling it later, but how sad to have hate run through the justice system.

anitamombanita said...

owie...that hand of yours still looks pretty tender. Hope it's 100% again soon!

Judie said...

Yikes, Ames! That hand looks scary! How long has it been, now?

That guy sounds like Joe Arpaio of Phoenix! Interesting "U", Smes.

JJ said...

Wow! Sorry about the hand. Get healed soon. I don't know that town, and maybe I am lucky.

Sue said...

Ouch, Ames. That DOES look sore.

"/

Jenny said...

Oh Ames.

Ames!

Ames!

That looks so sore.

Oh.

Man.

And isn't that place a country song?

Umitilla by morning?

Or something like that.

Sending you a healing hug!

A+

Annmarie Pipa said...

never heard of Umatilla...always like to learn somethi g new..thanks!!
your hand is getting better...hang in there!

Jim said...

Nice write-up on Umatilla. I've been to Florida quite often but never there.
I hope your hand is healed by now. It sure did look bad, like one that has broken a fall?
..

Unknown said...

I live in umatilla... small town only one red light

Emtnkc4u said...

Interesting piece, strong work, only one small error. The Devil in the Grove is by author Gilbert King, and is about Thurgood Marshall and the Civil Rights cases he fought. One of many cases was the Groveland Four cases.

Ames said...

Thanks for catching that!:)