Friday, October 5, 2012

Alphabe~Thursday The Letter “T”


From the great State of Florida

I give you…..

Tallahassee

The Capital of Florida.
 
The Old Capital building stands in front of the New Capital building
If you would like to visit the old Capital building , which is on the National Register of Historical Places, here is link to check out: http://www.flhistoriccapitol.gov/

Tallahassee is located 158 miles West of Jacksonville and 100 miles East of Panama City, which is in the panhandle of Florida. Interstate 10 runs East /West through Tallahassee.

Some people think the shape of Florida, a peninsula but called worse, is indicative of the type of people that make up our great State.
I know it just sort of hangs there off the Southern end of the United States….
And we have had some issues regarding Politics…..
Remember the hanging chad fiasco?
Ummm…..How could I forget.
that and our fair share of negative historical events.
Regardless…
Florida is a beautiful State,
A geological wonder,
A cultural and diverse State,
And yes it is a touristy State.
I mean just think…
We are surrounded by water but suffer through droughts.
We live in a tropical climate but have had snow.
Just something to ponder. :)
Since most people can Google anything they want to know about Florida ....



I leave you with this….just for FUN!
 

 

You know you're a Floridian if....

Socks are only for bowling.

You never use an umbrella because the rain will be over in five minutes.

A good parking place has nothing to do with distance from the store, but everything to do with shade.

Your winter coat is made of denim.

You can tell the difference between fire ant bites and mosquito bites.

You're younger than thirty but some of your friends are over 65.
Anything under 70 degrees is chilly.

You've driven through Yeehaw Junction.

You know that no other grocery store can compare to Publix.

You know that anything under a Category 3 just isn't worth waking up for.

You dread love bug season.

You are on a first name basis with the hurricane list. They aren't Hurricane Charley or Hurricane Frances. You know them as Andrew, Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne, Wilma, Irene, Cheryl, Rita, Mary, Alison

You know what a snowbird is and when they all leave.

You think a six-foot alligator is actually pretty average.

'Down South' means Key West .

Flip-flops are everyday wear. Shoes are for business meetings and church, but you HAVE worn flip flops to church before.

You have a drawer full of bathing suits, and one sweatshirt..


A mountain is any hill 100 feet above sea level.

You know the four seasons really are: hurricane season, love bug season, tourist season and summer.

You've hosted a hurricane party.

You can pronounce Okeechobee, Kissimmee , Withlacoochee , Thonotosassa and Micanopy.

You understand why it's better to have a friend with a boat, than have a boat yourself.

You've worn shorts and used the A/C on Christmas and New Years.


**~** 
Thanks for stopping by!~Ames
To return to Jenny Matlock’s Alphabe~Thursday click here:
 
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month!

14 comments:

Della said...

I have been by Tallahassee several times on the interstate, but haven't made the time to stop and explore our capitol. Some day I will!

I have heard what some people call Florida. My son in law included!

Love the map, and the You know you are from Florida when.... so true!

JJ said...

Like Della, I have been there many times, but never got to explore it. My wife has been asking to do that, so maybe I'll head out there soon.

Sue McPeak said...

Holy Everglades...I'm stayin' outta there...I don't like BigAssSnakes! Ya know Ames, Texas and Florida have lots of InCommon 'You Know You Are's' cept in my part of Texas we have 6ft. average sized rattlesnakes instead of alligators. Yikes!!!

Great Letter T Post...Tallahasse Lassie!!!

Judie said...

Hahaha! Ames, I love that map!! And I have been through Tallahassee THREE TIMES this year!

Annesphamily said...

Great post! A lady from Kissimmee bought a set of my red Fantasia plates on ebay! She just got them yesterday! Small world we live in!

I always enjoy your stories! Thank you!

anitamombanita said...

Ames, you are hilarious!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love every one of your posts on Florida cities...and towns! The map you showed is something I'll save! And I chuckled at many of the 'truisms'! Enjoy your week my friend! I hope your hand is healing and you will be all better soon! Hugs!

Lisa said...

I too must save it. Nice post.

Cathy Kennedy said...

What a terrific post on Florida! I loved the You know you're Floridan... Great to link up with you on Alphabe-Thursday. Sorry for visiting a few days late.

Jim said...

I like this a lot, Ames!!!
I REALLY liked it!!!

We like Florida although it has been a while since we've been there. Guess the last two times were to catch a cruise ship. But we have them out of Galveston too.

You list:
A good parking place, I found six in the shade this afternoon.

We have alligators, snow, drought, the instigator of all your political problems (names start with "B"), snow birds, and flip flops. Claudette put 33 inches of water in our house. Etc, etc. LOL

I also am liking your map, especially the 'Red Neck' areas. We don't have those in Texas. I think yours came from Alabama and Georgia.
..

EG CameraGirl said...

Thank you for making me laugh, Ames! The map is a hoot!

Gattina said...

I have been in Florida but not in Thalahassee ! I only remember that it was very cold and I had to buy pullover (it was in July 1995!!)

raisingahappyfamily-momof8 said...

haha i love the Flordian descriptions...too funny!!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
my brothers sister lives in Florida.

Jenny said...

Some of your Floridian list sounds like ours! ha!

I have trouble spelling Tallahhasee...ummm...Talahassee...ummm...

Gosh.

I'm not a terrific speller but YOU are a terrific tour guide!

Hope you are feeling a little bit better!

Hugs and A+