Thursday, September 27, 2012

Alphabe~Thursday “S” is for….


Welcome back to Alphabe~Thursday the letter “S”.

This week I am sharing several places around Florida that start with an “S” because I’ve had several…well actually two Floridians hinted at their city being featured for this week’s post on “S”.

Enjoy!

 

St. Augustine, Florida ~ for JJ

Castillo de San Marcos  
 Hotel Alcazar/Lightner Museum
      St. Augustine Lighthouse
Ponce de Leon Hotel/Flagler College

 
There are so many wonderful things to see in St. Augustine.  It’s only two hours from my home and it’s one of our favorite places to getaway for a while.
St Petersburg, Florida
Sunshine Skyway Bridge
St. Petersburg Pier                                                      

Don CeSar Hotel –The Pink Lady opened in 1928. The hotel quickly became a favorite romping ground for the rich and famous of the Jazz Age including F. Scott Fitzgerald, Clarence Darrow, Al Capone, Lou Gehrig, and Franklin D. Roosevelt

The Old Salvador Dali Museum  
              The New Salvador Dali Museum 


I have never been to the Salvador Dali museum but it’s on our list of places to see.       
  Sarasota, Florida ~ for Martha  
Ca' d’Zan- John and Mable Ringling’s mansion. Ca’ dZan is Venetian for “House of John”
                                        Lido Beach
Ski-A-Rees - Weekly Water shows
Sanford, Florida
Home to the Central Florida Zoo  
The Stanford Inn, Sanford Florida.
 
 
The movie “My Girl” was filmed on location here. This was actually the funeral home in the film.
 


This old Lake Monroe Bridge was featured in Kenny Chesney’s music video for his song “Young.”


Speaking of country music, "The Barn" is the place to go for a little two steppin’ and line dancin’ in Sanford.
 
Sanibel , Florida
The Sanibel Light House and Keepers houses
 
Sanibel is famous for shelling.

J.N. Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge, Sanibel Island, Florida
This is a Roseate Spoonbill crane. They get their coloring from eating crustaceans.
Sebring, Florida
In 1959 Sebring hosted the Formula One United States Grand Prix, but it is best known for the 12 Hours of Sebring, an annually held American Le Mans series race. Many fans flock to Sebring every year. Sebring has always been in the tourist industry and some of the Hotel accommodations you might find there is pretty amazing.
  Kenilworth Lodge 1916 circa
Harder Hall. Sebring, Florida.
This hotel was built during the Florida land boom in the 1920’s. It has had many famous guest; Paul Newman, Steve McQueen, Ali McGraw and Mario Andretti to name a few.  Harder Hall is said to be haunted. It has changed hands many times and each owner has died under extremely strange circumstances most of the time right in the hotel.
Starke, Florida
Home to Florida State Prison and the “Old Sparky” electrocution chair, Florida’s method of Capital Punishment execution until the year 2000 when the Florida State Legislature signed lethal injection into law.
I have no desire to go there.
Ever.
~The End~
I hope you enjoyed my enchanted State. I'll see you next week for the Letter "T".
Thanks for stopping by!~Ames
To return to Jenny Matlock's Alphabe~Thursday click here:

(Sorry i won't be stopping by or sending replies, still recuperating from hand surgery on my right hand and i am right handed and it didn’t go well.. i'll tell you about it later and I’ll try to catch up with you at a later date.~Ames.)
 

 



 



 

 



 
 

17 comments:

Jo said...

oh Ames .... I am so sorry to hear about it not going well ... sending you prayers and healing meditations ... and S is wonderful ... of all of them I would love to see Sanibel ... and look for shells and stare out to sea.

Della said...

So sorry to hear about the surgery. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

jfb57 said...

Hope you're hand is healed soon because we need more of these great shots!

Judie said...

There are enough S's here for many AT's! What's this about hand surgery?? When you are able, send me an email.

xoxo,
J.

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

"S" is for speedy recovery!!! Visited St. Augustine this summer...I highly recommend!!!

Jamie said...

Great photos, Ames! I think I would especially love to visit the Salvador Dali museums (both old and new). Best of luck with your recovery, and I hope you'll be snapping and typing again soon.

Karen S. said...

Good luck with your hand! How fun this trip was, and you have highlighted such a worthy Florida vacation in my eyes! I know the blogger JJ too, if it's who I think it is, and he rarely even shows his home town of present....great photos, and this could be a real vacation get away plan! :)

JJ said...

I hope your hand heals quickly. Beautiful photos, and I recognize so many of the shots. Of course, Karen is right. I should post more photos of St. Augustine.

Claudia Willison said...

Lovely journey through Florida. Should I ever get a chance to visit I know who to ask ;)
I'd especially love to visit the Dali museum and stay at the Stanford Inn - what a grande house!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I sure hope you feel better soon, too and everything heals properly. I'm keeping you in my prayers. Thanks for the great post. I've been to about half of these and I always learn so much history! Sweet hugs!

Annesphamily said...

I hope you are better soon. Hand surgery is tricky business! I so enjoy your stories. Reminds me of my son-in-law, who is the native from Florida! Thanks for the share and please take care. Hugs Anne

Self Sagacity said...

beautiful flamingo! the color is just so wondrous.

anitamombanita said...

i'm impressed that you posted...and posted prolifically. Hope your hand improves quickly and you can get back to doing what you like best.

storybeader said...

that's quite a few S locations. Have never been to St. Petersburg before. St. Augustine, yes. I'll have to try to get there - looks lovely! {:-Deb

Jane said...

Hi Ames,
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blog posts about Sebring to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you :)
Jane

Jenny said...

I would love to visit those places!

The Sanibel Inn looks incredibly splendid.

I hope you're healing up from your surgery Miss Ames.

Sending a hug and a prayer your way.

A+

waqas farooq said...

Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Lol Videos, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited. Visit the Best Lol Network Ever, where you can every thing is lol and Funny, Troll Images, Funny Vidoes, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Epic Videos, Prank Videos, Fail Videos and Much More Fun and Entertainment
lolsgag.com