Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Alphabe~Thursday "Q" is for Quincy, Florida


Quincy is in Gadsden County and is 20 miles northwest of Tallahassee, Florida.

History

In an era where the price of cotton was at an all-time low, Quincy prospered from growing Tobacco. A special tobacco plant grown from a blend of seeds from Virginia and Cuba created a tobacco known as the “Florida Wrapper.”


Leaf dealers and cigar manufacturers from New York flocked to Gadsden County to check out this special tobacco and the rest is history.

Quincy was also home to several  Coca~Cola millionaires.

We went to Quincy once, after reading about it in a Southern Living Magazine. At the time we were on our way to New Orleans to meet up with friends. The magazine touted it’s abundance of charming Victorian B &B’s and I thought it would be nice to check out the town.

Once went exited interstate I-10 into Quincy we were immediately in the most undesirable section of town. I blame my husband for that. Every time we go somewhere and he is driving, we always end up lost and in the wrong part of town.


Yes there were drug deals going down on the street curb.
You know what they say about first impressions.

Even though Quincy has 145 buildings on the National Register of Historical Places located within their historic district,
and beautiful old B & B’s ……


For me first impressions are the best impressions and I always heed my little internal voice.

So…….

We decided to get back on interstate 10 and continue on towards our final destination, New Orleans. We ended up staying in a chain Hotel a couple of exits further west. The front desk clerk told us about a local Seafood restaurant and we weren’t disappointed.

Maybe we will give Quincy another shot someday down the road. But next time I think I will do more research before going there.

~~~*~~~

That’s it for this week. See you next week for the letter “R.”

~Ames

To return to Jenny Matlock’s Alphabe~Thursday click here:

16 comments:

Gail said...

I love history. I have never been to either place but maybe one day...

anitamombanita said...

That B&B was pretty sweet, but I could do without the drug dealing...:(

You asked about that old house in my last Saturday Centus post...Woodruff UT...pretty much in the middle of nowhere near the Idaho border on the way to Jackson Hole. Lots of old pioneer homes in the area, just like that one. I love them too.

Thanks for stopping by, Ames. Hope you have a great week...and keep that Florida tour going! It's fun!

anitamombanita said...

That B&B was pretty sweet, but I could do without the drug dealing...:(

You asked about that old house in my last Saturday Centus post...Woodruff UT...pretty much in the middle of nowhere near the Idaho border on the way to Jackson Hole. Lots of old pioneer homes in the area, just like that one. I love them too.

Thanks for stopping by, Ames. Hope you have a great week...and keep that Florida tour going! It's fun!

Della said...

It would probably be fun to explore the nice side of Quincy where all the old historic buildings are!

Sarah~Magnolia Surprise said...

I remember Quincy from my childhood - perhaps from traveling from Bascom where my grandparents lived, to Tallahassee where friends of my parents lived. Anyway, the name is familiar!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Thanks for the little history lesson! As a former Floridian, I find anything about my old stomping grounds interesting...

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That's so interesting...sounds familiar! We had that happen in GA one time and it was a bit scary! But this sounds like a lovely old town to visit. I haven't been in that part of the state very much! Enjoy your day...isn't this cooler weather fabulous? Hugs!

Sue said...

The B&B looks cool, but I can see where the initial experience turned you off.

"/

Judie said...

I have been to Quincy! When I was a little girl, my father had an assignment in Quincy, and we stayed there before going to St. Pete for a family vacation! Great "Q", Ames!!

w said...

on our way to new orleans once, my hubby turned off an exit to get gas - in the middle of the night - and it was way scary. i wonder if that was quincy. lol.

Emille said...

Wow, quite a history in successful business! Only have been in New Orleans, Pensacola area.

Annesphamily said...

Aw..I thought you were writing about Quincy, the corner! Ha Ha! Remember when Jack Klugman portrayed Quincy on T.V.?
I knew you were writing about your state! You do a great job!
My SIL's grandmother was Dorothy Lowe and her home is in downtown Key West! His grandfather was Hamilton Lowe, the shrimp boat captain!
I was mortified that the news stations did nothing to honor the 9-11 anniversary!
If my aunti Jo were alive she would have written a letter to the network! That's what we should all do! As for those skanky Kardashians, UGH! It is the nicest thing I can think of to say! Double UGH to that creeper Bruce Jenner with his overabundance of cosmetic surgery! But as long as people watch the garbage they will show it on T.V. Meanwhile our country is in the sewer and sinking fast! Politics is starting to make WW Wrestling look like the real thing!
Hugs Anne

Andy David said...

Dear Ames,
I am utterly rubbish at directions so my wife had to get me a GPS...sounds like your hubby could do with one too! (hint, hint - lol) The B&B does look nice, but if I saw the drug dealing, I wouldn't want to go back. Thanks for sharing.

Quench My Fire

Jo said...

Well this sounds like an adventure that I am glad you didn't take ... thank goodness you got outta dodge ... or in this case, Quincy!

Cheryl D. said...

Too bad you didn't explore around a little more! I bet a historic B&B would have been more memorable than the chain motel!

Jenny said...

Wow. That B&B is gorgeous!

For some reason you guys getting off on the wrong exit reminded me of that show, 'Secret Millionaire'. Sometimes it's depressing to see such have and have not in such a small area.

Thanks for quite a lovely visit to Quincy, Miss Ames!

I'll take the next exit with you! ha!

Husbands!

Can't live with them, can't kill them all.

Sigh.

A+