Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Alphabe~Thursday "P" is for Palatka, Florida

Welcome all to Alphabe~Thursday the letter "P". This week I am going a little further North to Palatka, Florida.
 
Palatka (pronounced puh-lat-kuh ) is located in Putnam County, Florida and south of the Jacksonville area along the St. Johns River.

The Timucuan peoples, two tribes of which existed in the Palatka region under chiefs Saturiwa and Uinta occupied the area first. Contact with Europeans (infectious diseases) devastated the tribes, and they were extinct by the mid-18th century.

Later the Seminole Indians called it Pilo-taikita, meaning “crossing over”, or “cows’ crossing.”  
    
 
 
Downtown 1880/Downtown Second Street today.

Clysdale Horses parading down Second St.





Hey you beer lovers! There is an Anheuser-Busch Brewery in Jacksonville, not far from Palatka. Sounds like a mans paradise, beer and fishing.
Palatka  is nicknamed  the "Bass Capital of the World."
Looking East
 
Palatka Memorial Bridge over the St. Johns River.
There are 4 bronze military service men standing proudly at both sides of this bridge. The one above is a World War II memorial.

 The St. Johns River Walk.






Palatka is also home to Angel’s Diner!
Angel’s was established in 1932 from an old train car and is about two blocks from the river, where you can get a Pounder and a Pusalow.
 
(((What's a Pounder and a Pusalow?)))



A Pounder is a 1 pound hamburger (according to the menu it’s for real men!) Humm I guess real men eat pounders and not quiche?
A Pusalow is a chocolate milk, vanilla syrup, and crushed ice drink. Blah! Yech!! Must have been a popular drink back in the 1930’s.
I have eaten at Angel’s many times, although I have never had a Pounder or a Pusalow, I hear they are really good.

My husband once bought an old jukebox from the owners of Angel's. He used it for spare parts on our old jukebox.
Palatka has been a jumping off place for me throughout the years. We have many friends in the surrounding areas, some still owning and living on the land that was obtained through Spanish Land grants and passed down to them from generation to generation.

There are several Historic Districts within Palatka. Let’s take a look around.
The North Historical District:
This is the Historic Palatka Union Depot, or Palatka-Amtrak Railroad Depot, also known as the Palatka Railroad Preservation Society and the Browning Railroad Museum.
I’ve used this depot many times stopping there to visit friends in the  surrounding area, and also as I was traveling North to Virginia to visit my daughter and grandchildren. I don't travel by train so much anymore, all my grands live here now.

There’s something romantic about traveling by train. I so enjoyed the luxury of a sleeping berth, eating dinner in the dining car, and later playing cards and having cocktails in the lounge, verses driving. Just one itty bitty complaint would be that I think they go too fast sticking to their schedules.
Have you ever traveled overnight by train?
This is the Judge Issac Bronson~Mulholland House called Sunny Point. Couldn’t you just see yourself sitting out on the veranda enjoying a glass of sweet tea? It’s the house wine of the south ya’ll!


This is St. Mark’s Episcopal Church established in 1853.

 
The South District: Contains 243 historical buildings.
Connant House 1886
Palatka Heights:
To the South and South West is a district that contains a posh upscale neighborhood built in the 1880’s called Palatka Heights. The above is a private residence.
and...
Ravine Gardens State Park
 
The West District:
Newtown is located to the West of Downtown Palatka; the area was originally established as the African American District in the mid 1800’s.
Newtown is home to the Old Central Academy High School which became the first accredited African American High School in the State of Florida in 1924. It was destroyed by fire in 1936 and replaced by the building above, although fallen into disrepair; it is also on the U.S. National Register of Historical Places.
Palatka is also known as “The City of Murals” and they are everywhere.
Here is a really nice link to a map showing the exact places of these beautiful murals. You may have to copy and paste to open this link, but if you are ever coming to Palatka these are worth seeing too!
http://www.conleemurals.org/Mural_Map_and_legend1.pdf
~~~~*~~~~
Well that’s it for this week’s letter “P”. I wanted to share some interior locations of Florida because most people already know about the coastal areas. I love my State. It is steeped in history, romantically Southern, and yes it is touristy.
Thanks for stopping by!~Ames
*******
To return to Jenny Matlock’s Alphabe~Thursday please click here:



 

26 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Another wonderful post about a town that could be a day trip for us! It's nice to know some of the spots to visit and places to eat! We've been through there recently but not for a visit! Thanks, girlfriend!

Jo said...

Now this sounds like a place to visit! I love the fact that there are so many historical buildings and so many murals ... Florida is so on my bucket list!!! and you are one heck of a blogging guide!!!

Annesphamily said...

Hi Ames! I need to get my P post up! LOL! I am behind a bit!
But I came to tell you I found two Janet Evanovich books at my Dollar Tree Store so I am going to start reading!
I like this post. I have learned a lot about Florida!
Have a great week!
Hugs Anne

Della said...

I've been to Palatka once, and it was for a memorial service. I'd love to go back and explore this lovely town. I love the old homes all done up gingerbread style, and the old plantation style homes, too. They are so pretty!

Bass capital, huh? Going to have to tell hubby we need to fish in Palatka!

Haven't been on a train since Six Gun, and I've only been on a real train once when I was 2 going to Virginia.

I really enjoy these little tours to Florida towns. Thanks Ames!

Danielle said...

I love Palatka! My friend lived there for a year and we would visit her from Ocala. I hated the drive though because one night we got caught in a bad thunder storm (me and my 4 year old daughter) and it was very scary driving home on those back country roads. Thanks for the memories..how fun.

Sue said...

I think I'd like to take the St. John's River Walk walk.

;)

Esther Joy said...

When my husband was in the State Senate, we did a little train traveling, but never overnight.

I can tell you love your State, ...and I guess since you didn't mention Hurricane Isaac, he didn't bother you too badly!

Ames said...

Esther Joy: Isaac just left us with some much needed rain.

Karen S. said...

What a lovely tour, thanks for sharing it. Your photos are wonderful.

anitamombanita said...

Even the name Pusalow sounds somewhat horrible! Another great stop on your tour, Ames!

Sandy said...

Being a big city girl wandering a small town always puts my heart at ease.. love the photos!
Sandy

Naperville Now said...

a very appealing place. thanks for the tour.

Taylor Kong Boomer said...

these buildings or interest s of points are lovely.

enjoyed the sunshine and nature.

Monica said...

I love all the pictures - Especially the old homes and church. It sounds like a beautiful place...too bad I can't stand heat and humidity!

Judie said...

I am planning on researching some of the coastal Indian tribes around here, and you have given me a perfect place to start, Ames.

Great post, sister!!!!

JJ said...

I love overnight trains, and I love Corkey Bells. Let me know the next time you're in Palatka, and I'll treat you to a Pounder!

Ames said...

JJ: Funny you would mention Corky Bells. My husband and I were racking our brains trying to remember the name Corky Bells. Our good friends in Interlachen called us last night and we asked them the name of the restaurant we always ate dinner at with them and it was Corky Bells! We have one here too and it's my favorite seafood restaurant! If anyone else is interested here's the link: http://www.floridasecrets.com/proddetail.php?prod=corky

Andy David said...

Love the shot of St Johns River Walk. Thanks for sharing.

Splendid Little Stars said...

a post full of fascinating information!
I've traveled by train twice in my life, both long ago. When I was a teenager, my cousin and I rode a train to visit another cousin a few hours away. The other time I was in my early 20s and rode a train for about 24 hours to a convention. So that would have involved overnight, but no sleeper car, just a seat.

Gattina said...

Very interesting post. I learn so much through blogging !

Jenny said...

Ooooh...old buildings and history!

Ewwww...chocolate milk and ice! ha!

This was a particularly perfect link for the letter 'P'.

I'm enjoying my tour of Florida Miss Ames!

Thank you for sharing it!

A+

waqas farooq said...

You See Current Affairs in Google, Yahoo or Bing..??? Here is a Best Network of Latest all Hot Current Affairs and News updates. All Hot Current Affairs about Entertainment, Classifieds, Mp3, Funny, Wallpapers, Pictures, Videos, Online Jobs, Online Marketing, Hot News, Hot Updates, Article and Latest News, Latest Mp3 Tunes, Internet Online Jobs, Facebook and Marketing Jobs, Online Marketing, Facebook Marketing, SEO Marketing, Latest Funny Entertainment Hot and Lol pictures and Much More Current Affairs Fun
hotcurrentaffairs.com

waqas farooq said...

You See Current Affairs in Google, Yahoo or Bing..??? Here is a Best Network of Latest all Hot Current Affairs and News updates. All Hot Current Affairs about Entertainment, Classifieds, Mp3, Funny, Wallpapers, Pictures, Videos, Online Jobs, Online Marketing, Hot News, Hot Updates, Article and Latest News, Latest Mp3 Tunes, Internet Online Jobs, Facebook and Marketing Jobs, Online Marketing, Facebook Marketing, SEO Marketing, Latest Funny Entertainment Hot and Lol pictures and Much More Current Affairs Fun
hotcurrentaffairs.com

waqas farooq said...

Free Promotion of your Website, Facebook Page, Twitter, Google Plus, StumbleUpon, Youtube Views Likes and Subscribes, Pinterest, MySpace, SoundCloud, Instagram and Much More Social Media Promotions. Just add your Promotion Link to this Website and Get Increase your Visitors, Page Likes, photo likes, photo shares Twitter Follow Tweets and Favorites, Youtube Views Likes and Subscribes and Much More.
GetLikeFast.com

saleem mohd. said...

Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited. Visit the Best Lol Network Ever, where you can every thing is lol and Funny, Troll Images, Funny Vidoes, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures and Much More Fun and Entertainment
lolsgag.com

hamad uzair said...

World Most popular Upcoming Latest cars and vehicles, Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
WorldLatestVehicles.com