Thursday, August 16, 2012

Alphabe~Thursday "M" is for Micanopy, Florida


Hi all, This week we visit “M” and my “M” stands for Micanopy Florida, pronounced Mick-can-oh'-pee.

Micanopy is such a quaint little town to visit. It is located just South of Gainesville, Florida off I75. If you are visiting Florida make Micanopy one of your “must see” places!




Seminole Chief Micanopy

You should Google Chief Micanopy. He was a very interesting man in Florida’s history.


Micanopy is Florida’s oldest inland settlement. It is often called the town that time forgot. It is also mentioned in John Anderson’s song Seminole Wind. The town was founded in 1821 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and the movies Cross Creek and Doc Holiday have been filmed there.



Herlong Mansion is a lovely B&B. Here is a link if you are interested in staying there:  http://www.herlong.com/



You may have read in one of my previous post that I am a huge fan of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. Her books speak to my soul. Marjorie’s homestead at Cross Creek is not far from Micanopy so you might as well drive a little further and take in her place while you are visiting Micanopy. A slice of rural Florida at its finest, it too is worth the drive!

 
Marjorie’s home at Cross Creek
I know you may think this was a short visit but I have left you with some wonderful links to check out. I hope you do!
~~~*~~~
Until next time! ~Ames
P.S. To return to Jenny Matlock’s Alphabe~Thursday please click on this link: off on my tangent

12 comments:

VBR said...

I so love to come to visit your blog each week, to take a little trip. I enjoy the photos you include and the tidbits of info! Micanopy looks like a real old fashioned little town. The Spanish moss growing in the trees is gorgeous. And, I can understand your admiration of Marjorie Rawlins. She was really a liberated modern woman, in a time when that was not easily tolerated by society. Her love of nature in the Florida landscape is evident in her writing. Lovely M post.

Sue McPeak said...

Hey Floridian...you are a truly a spokes-woman for the 'Small Town Florida'and it's unique history. Thanks for taking us along. Micanopy would definately be on my list of places to visit. Now I'm off to visit it 'Virtually' via your links. Thank goodness I don't have to tank up with gas...yikes!!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

This is a favorite day trip for us. And we love driving over to Cross Creek, too. You are doing great with these posts! I always learn something new! Thanks...and HUGS!

ArtMuseDog and Carol said...

wonderful post of an intriquing place ~ great photos ~ (A Creative Harbor)

Sue said...

I never realized so many areas of Florida would appeal to me, as I am not very fond of Miami. These small towns really are quaint and interesting, though!

I will have to try reading this favorite author of yours...

=)

Sandy said...

I drove up to Gainsville to visit the Hobby Lobby, might just stop by this town next time! I moved to Clearwater 6 yrs go after a life time of the world and so far this is the first I've heard of your tiny town.. sounds interesting.
thanks for sharing
Sandy

Danielle said...

I absolutely love Micanopy. My friend and I were there a few weeks ago on a what we love to call our 'photo field trips'. Micanopy is one of our all time places to visit.

Della said...

I've been through Micanopy a couple of times, but haven't ever stopped to enjoy it. I have some craft shows to do there this fall, so I'm really excited to explore this cute town.

Tom Petty, from Gainesville, sings about Micanopy in one of his songs...."I've been to Brooker, and I've been to Micanopy, I been to St. Louis too, I been all around the world" It's from the song 'A Mind With A Heart Of It's Own'

Thanks for sharing, and I'll be back :) Take care!

anitamombanita said...

Hi Ames, you're definitely giving me a new perspective on Florida. Maybe I'll have to be a little kinder and gentler to the sunshine state! :)

Jenny said...

Our son's girlfriend was from the Gainesville area.

This actually looks like Georgia to me with those neat old places. The B&B looks magnficent.

I'm going to check that link out.

I enjoyed reading Deall's comment, too. I don't think I've heard that Tom Petty song so I need to check that out as well.

Thanks for a marvelous place to visit!

A+

Jenny said...

I love that garden cottage. And the grounds are gorgeous! It would also be enchanting to stay in the wisteria room!

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

I love this little town! We've camped at Payne's Prairie several times, and rode our bikes into and around town. Fun place to shop for antiques, especially The Garage. O'Brisky Books is a can't miss. And I highly recommend Blue Moon Pizzeria for delicious sandwiches, pizzas, and a cold beer on a hot day.