Friday, July 20, 2012

Alphabe~Thursday "I" is for Inverness, Florida






Inverness, located on the West coast of Florida, was originally named Tompkinsville. A man known as uncle Alf, (I kid you not) A.D. Tompkins, started the settlement, a Post Office and a Saw Mill there. He gave his brother-in-law some land and the brother-in-law opened up a store. His brother-in-law then helped to lay out the town and named it Tompkinsville after uncle Alf. Several years later the town was sold to a firm in Jacksonville and they changed the name to Inverness.




Ever hear of a movie titled Follow that Dream starring Elvis Presley?

In 1961 the 1912 Citrus County Courthouse in Inverness was used to film the courthouse scene in the movie. Yee haw!


The last weekend of October, Inverness holds the Great American Cooter Festival.
Cooter is a turtle. It received its name from African slaves, who called it a kuta.
*Confession: I’ve eaten turtle before.…as a child. Can’t say I’d eat it now though. Bluuueeecckkkk!
But, I don’t think this festival is about eating the Cooter. Here is a link that will tell you about the Great American Cooter Festival if you are interested.  http://www.cooterfestival.com/

Inverness has a nice family park called Whispering Pines Park. You can swim in a Junior Olympic sized pool Monday through Sunday for $3.00. Seniors can swim for $2.00. Here’s the link if you are interested: http://www.inverness-fl.gov/index.aspx?nid=165 you’ll find out all kinds of information about launching your boat, camping, canoe or kayaking, golfing, and biking too.

Inverness has a lovely Bed and Breakfast called the Magnolia Glenn:  http://www.magnoliaglen.com/


and
Inverness has antique shops and auctions on Florida Avenue and Pine Avenue. So get out your walking shoes and make a day of it in Inverness, then hop over to the Whispering Pines Park and take a cool dip in the pool.
....and guess what?
Rutabaga's Deli on S. Croft Avenue is dog friendly and there's also a dog park located at East Turner Camp Road!

 

Maybe we’ll see each other there!

~~~*~~~

Thanks for stopping by! To return to Jenny Matlock’s Alphabe~Thursday click here: off on my tangent


~Ames

10 comments:

Sue said...

Magnolian Glen looks pretty inviting! And so do the antique shops...

=)

Judie said...

Hmmm--I think I'll pass on the cooter as well, Ames! You're such a wonderful travel guide, though.

LYM

lissa said...

I was reading a book in which it took place in inverness but it's not in florida. this inverness sounds like a place to look for turtle sightings.

hope you have a great day.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a wonderful post! We love driving over to Inverness! That's a nice drive for us...just one county over! I'm learning so much, my friend! I can't wait to see this Elvis movie again!

anitamombanita said...

Now that was a big improvement over Homosassa or whatever that was last week, although not sure I'd be tempted to eat any cooter.

Thanks for stopping by ...you asked if we had a guide. Nope, no guide. The statuary is in the Punta Arenas cemetery which is old and huge and filled with history. Very cool place. And the mossy bog is on the road between Punta Arenas and Puerto Natales.

Have a great day!

Andy David said...

My dear friend,
The last photo was just lovely. I am a funny eater, so I will pass (smile). Thanks for sharing.

KDL said...

There is an Inverness in CA, too. I wonder if all places with that name are so lovely. Thanks for adding a destination point to my travel list :-)

Splendid Little Stars said...

I like looking at cooters, but not eating them!
a most interesting place!

Jenny said...

Magnolia Glenn.

Wow.

Love it! It looks exactly like where I need to go spend some time. In the winter. When it's not hot!

I like the name Inverness. It makes me feel all Scottish when I say it! ha!

Thanks for another incredibly fun link to Alphabe-Thursday Miss Ames.

A+

Annesphamily said...

You are my favorite travel guide. I love how you tell the tales of these cities and towns! Love it!