Thursday, July 12, 2012

Alphabe~Thursday "H" is for Homosassa, Florida



Homosassa is located in Citrus County on the West Coast of Florida.

I don’t have fond memories of this place. When I was a young bride (first husband), I was dumped off at my in-law’s in Homosassa while my husband went on to the Presidio of Monterey, in Monterey California, and got settled in.

My in-laws owned a nursery in Homosassa and took advantage of the free labor, that being Me!

I potted so many plants from sun up to sun down than I care to remember. I was never so happy when my husband sent for me. I never went back to Homosassa again!

Homosassa, I can tell you I have misspelled that name so often that the Post office got tired of correcting the spelling and just sent it on. And what an address for someone to have:  Chassahowitzka Rd., Homosassa, Florida.

Homosassa, it supposedly means place where peppers grow. I can tell you a lot of other crap grows there, because I planted it!

Geez…who thinks up these names anyway!

Homosassa - How things got started there.

Because of the Armed Occupation Act of 1842, any man over the age of 18 who was able to bear arms would be given  160 acres, if he  were to prove up the land by building a house and cultivating 5 acres while living there for 5 years.

William Cooley did just that. He was a merchant, a shipper and later became the Justice of Peace in Homosassa.  

In 1846 Cooley sold his land to David Levy Yulee.



David Levy Yulee established a 5,000 acre sugar cane plantation on the Homosassa River, working his plantation with the labor of 1,000 slaves. He grew cotton and citrus in addition to the sugar cane.

His home and plantation was burned to the ground during the Civil War and these are the remains of his plantation and sugar mill. You can see them at the Yulee Sugar Mill Ruins Historic State Park located in Homosassa.
*Note...I don't have a thing for Sugar Mill ruins although you might think I do....but I do have a thing for Plantations.

Moving along....






Later, a man named John Dunn bought Yulee’s land and built an Inn.

This is the remains of Dunn’s Homosassa Inn and it is now a private residence.

There are just not a lot of things to do in Homosassa. Oh you can fish, and kayak or venture out to other places around Homosassa, like the Ellie Schiller Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park or Ozello for instance.
Ozello is located between Homosassa and Crystal River. I wouldn’t want to live there during Hurricane season!

~~~~*~~~~

Well that's it for this week. You can return to Jenny Matlock's Alphabe~Thursday by clicking here:

Thanks for stopping by!~Ames

21 comments:

VBR said...

though i love plants i don't think i could transplant from sun up to sun down, in a place named homosassa or even in a place called paradise. this was really an interesting post. there are so many places to see and explore. thanks for sharing.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

Your address would have been impossible for me to spell!

JJ said...

I don't believe I would be happy in that town. Do they have high-speed internet access?

Theresa said...

Very interesting! Is this manatee country too?

anitamombanita said...

Oh, Ames, I think I'd take Monterey too. But then, there was a Schiller who lived in Homasssasssa (how did you spell that?) once...and that's my maiden name, so it can't be all bad, right?!

Sue said...

Sounds like Homosassa was not too much fun for you back in the day....

What a funny name for a town!

=)

Gattina said...

Looks like Homosassa was rather a horrible place for you !
What a name, a tongue twister !

Ames said...

JJ, they must have internet service now. I heard my ex met his fifth wife over the internet, while staying there with his 91 year old mother. Too bad his parents couldn't have put him to work potting peppers! Ha!

Theresa there are Manatees and Gators every where in Florida.

Anita, Monterey was a giant step up from Homasssasssa. Sorry to hear your relative lived there. I wouldn't wish Homosassa on anyone. Well maybe my ex. Ha!

JJ said...

That poor guy! Imagine having such bad luck that so far five of his wives didn't understand him. Someday, his princess will come - and I hope she can pull a plow.

edenhills said...

I don't blame you for never going back~sounds like it would not be fun at all for a new bride. The town itself sounds interesting. I loved the history lesson.

Judie said...

Isn't Homosassa where the glass bottom boats are? I've been there, but it was a Loooong time ago.

Great post, Ames.

Lola said...

What a greeaaat poooosst!!

Visiting from A-Thursday.

lissa said...

it's an interesting name. never heard of it but it sounds very country. I keep picturing people planting trees and plants.

thanks for your visit to my alphabe-thursday.

have a sweet day.

Cathy Kennedy said...

What a wonderful introduction to an unusual sounding city! It's beautiful in Homosassa, but like you I wouldn't want to be anywhere near there during Hurricane season. Now that I think about it, I don't think I would want to be in any coastal community in the south when those horrible acts of nature strike!

Thanks for hooking up with me. It was great to meet you! I'm now following your blog. ^.^

Cheryl D. said...

Does not sound like fun times for you! I do love the West coast of Florida though! The water is so beautiful there.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I like the house. I'd love to sit on the porch and watch the water.

Andy David said...

Dear friend,
Love the history. Great house also. Thanks for sharing.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Whew! Yes, that would have me checking and rechecking my spelling of your address! (I think of that when we look at homes and wonder about the names of street addresses...why of why? lol

Blessings & Aloha!
(still catching up on H posts :o) Hope you get a chance to stop by).

Cathy said...

I had no idea what Homosassa meant but "place where peppers grow" was the last thing on my mind. :D

Jenny said...

I am laughing so hard at you, Ames!

Gosh. It sounds like your ex-in-laws had a gem in you!

You always crack me up!

Place where peppers grow? Are you pulling our legs?

ha!

Thank you for linking up!

A+

Annesphamily said...

Such a story teller you! I love knowing all this cool stuff about your state!