Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Alphabe~Thursday "G" is for Gainesville Florida


Where off to Gainesville folks! See the green star on the map?
It’s located right off from Interstate #75.

First off let me tell you this…the country side in Gainesville is unlike any that you would imagine being in Florida. There are beautiful gently rolling green pastures and flowing moss on stately oak trees in north Florida. If I wasn’t a rivah chick I’d love to live in North Florida!

But…..
They also have sinkholes over in the center of the state. One ancient one is the Devil’s Millhopper, a 120 foot deep sinkhole that you can walk down steps to the bottom. Not a big attraction for me because I have bad knees and can’t do stairs. But you might like it.
So tell me….
When you think of Florida gators do you think of University of Florida?


It’s the home of the University of Florida Gators. The U of F has cranked out such notables as: Tim Tebow, Actress Faye Dunnaway, and country singer Mel Tillis, just to name a few.
 



Southeast Gainesville Residential District contains 94 historical buildings. Beautiful examples of diverse architecture like this one above. It is the Sweetwater Branch Inn Bed and Breakfast formerly the Mary Phifer McKenzie House.
There is also Paynes Prairie. Yep you are seeing correctly. Florida has several prairies running down the center of the state.
And there’s a nice viewing platform just off I -75.

Speaking of things to see... you might also like…

…to see the giant Victoria water lilies at the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens in Gainesville.
~~~~*~~~~
Well that’s it for Gainesville. The only other thing I might go there for is to visit a childhood friend that I have known since she was two and I was four. She’s been a keeper!
Thanks for stopping by. Check out more Alphabe~Thursday at Jenny Matlock’s blog off on my tangent
Have a great Fourth of July week!~Ames





17 comments:

Gattina said...

What a beautiful place and so unusual to see in Florida !

bluegrassnotes said...

You always make the town of Florida sound so appealing (well except that one not long ago about the place no one would want to stop in -- and that served as a good warning).

jfb57 said...

Gee, what a GREAT post. Looks like a super place to visit.

Debra said...

So interesting! That first picture ? I would never have quessed FLA! :)

Debra said...

So interesting! That first picture ? I would never have quessed FLA! :)

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

I also love to see moss flowing from the trees...Gainesville sounds like a great place to visit!

Sarah~Magnolia Surprise said...

I've been to Gainesville many times - it's beautiful! My grandparents lived in Bascom, a little town in north Florida -- my grandmother and Faye Dunaway's grandmother tried to get Faye and my brother together but it never worked out!!!

Jenny Schouten Short said...

Thanks for the delightful roadtrip. It is beautiful. xo Jenny

Bookie said...

Such a nice post...I had NO idea there were prairies in Florida!!!!! Amazing.

Andy David said...

Hello.
When I see or hear about prairies, I think out the wild west. Who would have thought they exist in sunny Florida! Now there's first. Nice post. Thanks for sharing.

Goddess Of Fantasy

Sue said...

Somehow I never imagined prairies in Florida!

=)

Annesphamily said...

Goodness this was a great geography lesson! Thanks! Enjoy the weekend!

Judie said...

It really is a good geography lesson, Ames. Where are we going next week? Homestead?

xoxo

anitamombanita said...

So many things to see...those water lilies were crazy! But what? No snakes for you?! LOL Thanks for your visit, Ames!

Deb said...

Those are some LARGE water lillies. WOW, you could say Texas Sized:)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

We love driving to Gainesville! The horse farms are so beautiful...and they have a really good mall there, too! I'm loving your alphabet. I'm learning a lot!

Jenny said...

I've been to Gainesville and I don't think I saw ANY of these places!

It would be glorious to hang out! BUT not in the summer! ha!

Thanks for a great link for the letter "G".

A+