Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Alphabe~Thursday "D" is for Daytona


Hi all, I’m back with another round of places in Florida.   
This time it’s Daytona.

See the big red dot? It’s on the East coast of Florida
It’s famous for its beach. Maybe a few of you have been there before?  

Daytona Beach
There’s even a few pristine beaches with nothing built on them. If you are looking to surf, the East coast is where you want to head. You can’t catch a wave on the West coast of Florida.



But wait, there’s more!!
We have  Racing!!!!!
The Daytona 500
And....
If you are a biker then you probably already know about Bike week (March 9-18 2012)
and Biketoberfest (October 18, 2012 to October 21, 2012)

The Loop further north in Ormond is a famous route for bikers.
And there’s camping too!



Tomoka State Park
Within the park is the site of the Timucuan village of Nocoroco, located on the Tomoka River. The site was inhabited approximately a thousand years ago. It became a state park in 1945. On May 7, 1973, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.

But wait!
There are other places nearby that everyone should go and see if they are in the Daytona area.
South of Daytona beach on the beach peninsula is the light house at Ponce Inlet. Completed in 1887, the Ponce de Leon Inlet Light Station is open for tours as well as the light keepers dwellings. It is the tallest lighthouse in Florida and the second tallest in the nation.
Oh and there is a great place to eat right across the street. It’s backs up to the river and it’s called Lighthouse Landing. Here’s a link:
A little bit to the south on the beach peninsula is the old community of Eldora.

                   



Eldora House
Isn’t it beautiful? Eldora House is located in what was once a prominent community of orange groves in the latter part of the 19th century. After a freeze destroyed most of its crops the community was abandoned. This house is all that is left and it stands 3 feet above sea level inside the Canaveral National Sea Shore Park.
Florida is a beautiful place to visit. Almost paradise. But I have bored you enough as it is and that’s all for this week. To return to Jenny Matlock’s Alphabe~Thursday you can click here:

Thanks for visiting! ~Ames




11 comments:

Jo said...

Daytona looks interesting! i love lighthouses, i would love to see it!

Deb said...

I love your state. Beaches everywhere!!! I've been to St. Pete, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach twice, and I've driven from Panama city to Pensacola down 98 stopping at every beach that I could find. I also spent a couple of weeks in Lake Mary working but I didn't really see anything on that trip except when I was driving. I'm going to get back there again some day and drive all the way to Key West.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I've not been to Daytona but I do love Florida and the beaches!! Hugs, Linda

Sue said...

There's a little bit of everything in Daytona, right?

=)

jfb57 said...

Well, I'm always pleased when I've heard of these far off places. It certainly has a lot going for it!

Sue McPeak said...

WOW...I wanna visit Daytona! What a great tour guide you are! I wish HiHoney was a 'Travelin' Man'...we'd do the whole SOUTH Route all the way to Florida! I'll be callin' you for the grand tour...if-n I can get him in the mood to go...I think the word GOLF might work. Actually he's been to Florida on business and got to play Arnold Palmers golf course. Maybe a better word would be BeachBabes!

There are more PICS of the places around Lola's...I'll get them in one of the Alphabe's!

Emille said...

Great views of Daytona! The only way I knew about Daytona was because my middle daughter's first car was a Daytona. Her friends called her Plankfoot! Now in her thirties, she's still a fast driver!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a fun post! And another thing...I live pretty close to Daytona! heehee! Enjoy your week! We're getting some of those pop up showers this week...I guess you are too!

tidbitsandtreasures2011 said...

Your post makes me want to pack up the car and go, but I think I'll wait until November when it's a little bit cooler (I'm in the Tampa area).

Splendid Little Stars said...

I've never been to Daytona, but you sure make it look most inviting!
My parents lived farther south in Florida, so I never stopped "up North."

Jenny said...

I've never been there but I want to go see that red lighthouse and drive on that delightful road to Ormond and visit the Eldora house.

I think of Florida as being flat and flavorless...you keep proving me wrong each week!

Thanks for being such a delightful tour guide!

A+