Saturday, March 31, 2012

Saturday Centus #100~Dialing for Dollars

Hi all, it's a special Saturday Centus this week. Jenny Matlock is celebrating her 100th centennial. She gave us a prompt from her very first Saturday Centus and here it is in green:   My untied shoelace changed my life. As I leaned down to re-tie it, I kicked away a few leaves. When I turned my head slightly to look where the leaves had been, I was astonished to see a rubber-banded wad of hundred dollar bills nestled in a little indention in the muddy ground.
In addition to this long prompt she has given us the usual 100 words and as many pictures as we like.

And now on to my contribution.....

Dialing for Dollars

~~~~*~~~

Granny! I yelled as I ran up the steps and let the screen door slam behind me.
Slow down girl and ketch yer breath. She said
“Granny! My untied shoelace changed my life. As I leaned down to re-tie it, I kicked away a few leaves. When I turned my head slightly to look where the leaves had been, I was astonished to see a rubber-banded wad of hundred dollar bills nestled in a little indention in the muddy ground. Can ya believe it! I said with excitement.
“Give it here child.”
I reluctantly handed it to her.
“You can’t keep it child.”
“But!”
“Girl, this kind of money was needed for something important. Someone worked long and hard to earn it. I bet they’re just sick over losing it! Do the right thing.”
She dialed the Sheriff, then handed me the phone.

~~~~*~~~~
Something like this happened to me when I was a child. I found a man's wallet at the end of our street and I ran home and gave it to my father. He called the man who's name was on the driver's license and he met us at the end of the street.

That man was so grateful he tried to give me $20. My heart skipped a beat as I looked up at my father and he told the man "She won't take it." I felt so ashamed in my heart for even thinking I deserved that man's money. I felt my face turn red, which probably made me look like Bozo the Clown! The man thanked me and shook my father's hand and left in his car.

My father walked me home and all he said to me was "You did the right thing and I hope you will do the right thing next time too." 
I learned a good lesson that day. One I passed on to my daughter and I hope she passed on to her children!
Well now, I hope you'll do the right thing too and stop by and congratulate Jenny on her 100th centennial. You can get there by clicking here: off on my tangent
Thanks for stopping by!~Ames

15 comments:

Dreaming said...

I love your blog post... but even more I love the way your dad taught you such a grand lesson. What a great man!

anitamombanita said...

Wonderful lesson for you and your children and grandchildren, I'm sure. Nicely done, Ames!

Bookie said...

This was just wonderful, Ames!
I was involved in a garage sale and didn't feel well either so Centus once again flipped to the back seat of my Saturday. But had to check yours out and glad I did. What a wonderful story to end my day on.....

Jo said...

oh my gosh Ames, that was beautiful! what a wonderful lesson!

PⒿ @ $ € € ₦$ ₣®0₥... said...

Great story. Great life lesson. You were raised well!

Judie said...

Ames, your dad just didn't realize just how much "useless stuff" you could have bought with that $20! Hahahaha! Great take on the prompt, and a wonderful life lesson.

Viki said...

Good lesson your dad taught you. This time though the woman in mine was going to use it plus the money from the last time, oops LOL.

Sue said...

My parents taught me these same lessons. I wish more parents did.

=)

cj Schlottman said...

What a good man your father was. I too, had a similar experience and my mother gently guided me in the right direction. I do believe that most people of the current era would let the child keep the money. No, really. Sad, sad, sad

Namaste.............cj

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

That's a touching story, Ames. You were a better girl, and are now a better woman, than most. [I would've grabbed that $20 and darted for the candy store. Or I like to think I would have.] Congrats on making it to the 100th SC. Again, you're a better woman than me.

xoRobyn

jfb57 said...

What a story of a story. Heartfelt. I'm pleased about the conscience!

Pondside said...

That's it - why am I not following? I'm going to fix that now.

Ames said...

Thanks everyone! And a big welcome to my new followers.

BECKY said...

Awwww, sweet stories....Both of them!

Jenny said...

Oh Ames. This was wonderful. The right thing isn't always the easy thing.

On Friday I was at the store and bought like five bucks worth of stuff. The cashier gave me change for a 50 instead of the 20 I had given her. I told her she had made a mistake and she got mad at me!

She said, "No, you gave me a 50!"

I said, "No, I don't think so. I only had a 20."

She huffed and puffed and found she had put a 20 in the drawer and then grabbed my change back.

Yeah. No good deed goes unpunished.

People can be weird about stuff, can't they?

Glad you gave the wallet back, though.