Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Alphabe~Thursday "S" is for St. Cloud, Florida


Today Mr. Ames and I struck out with “The Girls” for a drive through the Deseret Ranch.* A beautiful and peaceful drive through the back roads of rural Florida. Scenes of vast green pastures dotted with cattle and horses grazing beside stands of Cypress trees, Live Oaks and Pine trees. “The Girls” got to get out and stretch their legs so everyone enjoyed the ride.
Our destination was to a small town called St. Cloud, Florida.


Funny how small towns get their start. In 1909 investors from Washington purchased the former 36,000-acre Disston Sugar Manufacturing Company on the East shore of Lake Tohopekaliga. Lake Toho for short.

Ruins of the Disston Sugar Mfg. Co.

Source: Flicker

Source:Trip Advisor



The new town of St. Cloud was laid out up in Washington and advertised to Union Civil War veterans as opportunity. Lots were sold for a mere $50 and included a free five-acre tract and a tent.

The streets are laid out in a grid and have names taken from states like Florida, Georgia, Maryland, New York and Pennsylvania.

This quaint little town has some really neat antique shops and Thrift stores in its historical downtown district. Mr. Ames and I decided to come back another day without “The Girls” so we can check out the shopping and eat lunch at Crabby Bill’s right on the lake.
Source: Trip Advisor




Our little get away drive to St. Cloud, Florida was 98 miles round trip and it cost us about $25.00 in gas plus the price of two cups of coffee for the drive back home. It was worth it. Sometimes you just gotta go and see.



* (If you are interested in more information about the Deseret Ranches, I have a provided a link to their website here: http://www.deseretranchflorida.com/welcome.html )
~~~*~~~

Please stop by Jenny Matlock's Blog off on my tangent and check out other Alphabe~Thursday posts about the letter "S".
Thanks for stopping by!~Ames

14 comments:

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

I would love to take a day trip like this. The area looks so picturesque. I would have to drive an awful long way to find anything like this.
Enjoyed your tour.
Dana

beckyp said...

I would love to go on a short trip like that. I love the Crabby Bill's sign. My hubby is named Bill and it suits him.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

We love little day trips like that also and St Cloud sounds like a fun place to visit! Hope you do go back and take some photos of your adventure! Hugs, Linda

Deb said...

I love short road trips. We haven't done that in awhile. You have inspired me to plan one.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh, I would love to drive there and look around. I'll put it on my list of places to visit. I love to take a drive...you always see something interesting! Hugs!

Sue said...

We love those little day trips. And my husband is retiring soon, so we hope to be taking many of them.

=)

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

How fun! I want to go to Crabby Bill's!!!

anitamombanita said...

Day trips are the best. It's always surprising to learn what's in our own "back yard". I didn't know about the Deseret Ranch either. That was pretty cool.

Sue McPeak said...

Yep, nothin' like Day Trippin'. What a neat place to go and I'd say you saved a bundle by just drivin' and drinkin'...til next trip of course. I can hear the junktique shops calling. I wanna go, too!

Annesphamily said...

So you have been traveling the back roads of Florida eh? SOunds like a good time! Sometime you have to kick back and savor the moment! Great S post. I liked it a lot! Hugs Anne

Splendid Little Stars said...

That sounds like such a fun little day trip! very interesting history.
I love to go exploring, but that usually happens only on vacation. How great to discover a place not too far from home that you would like to go back to!

Nonna Beach said...

That was a wonderful trip Ames and thank you for highlighting The Deseret Ranch, with my church owns. It is a wonderful place to visit. A couple of years ago, we visited and did some work on the ranch to get the camping areas ready for youth camps in the summertime. They also had service projects for the campers during the week of camp to improve the property for future campers.

Karen S. said...

Sometimes you do, but I like to add a bit of ice cream (just a scoop on some of those kinds of road trips!) we have a St. Cloud here in Minnesota too! Your town looks very inviting, thanks for sharing this.

Jenny said...

I love hearing the Special Stories about Small towns...

Thanks for Sharing St. Cloud's story with us for the letter "S"!

A+