Thursday, February 23, 2012

Alphabe~Thursday "N" is for Numismatics

Welcome to Alphabe~Thursday. This week is about the letter "N"

"N" is for Numismatics.

~~~*~~~


On November 22, 1963 I was sitting on the floor in front of our black and white TV and watched the assassination of our 35th President John
Fitzgerald Kennedy. I called out to my mother, who was in the kitchen making the cookies I had begged her to make.
“Momma! The President just got shot!” My mother literally dropped what she was doing and ran into the living room and turned up the TV. She started crying and threw a tea towel over her face. I was only six years old. I started crying because my mother was crying and I didn’t know how to comfort her.
To this day I can close my eyes and smell the chocolate oatmeal drop cookies burning on the stove and I remember the dress my mother wore as if she were standing right here next to me. That was a time in my life that I will remember forever.

The following year, my father gave each one of us girls a 1964 John F. Kennedy Silver Half Dollar coin. He told us to hold onto it and never spend it. I still have mine. It is locked away in a safe deposit box.
Owning this special coin was the first coin I had ever collected. I wanted to know all about it.
I already knew it was a special coin, but there were other components to this coin that made it unique and this is what brings me to this week’s Alphabe~Thursday post “N” is for  Numismatics, the study of currency.
On the front or obverse side of my 1964 JFK coin is the bust of John F. Kennedy, the youngest elected President of the United States. He was 43 years old but was not the youngest President to sit in office.  Theodore Roosevelt was 42 years old when President McKinley was assassinated in 1901.  Roosevelt, the then vice President, automatically became our 26th President.



Handsome devil isn’t he? I have a thing for Teddy. Maybe it was his rough and ready cowboy persona, or all of the fascinating things he accomplished in his lifetime. I enjoy reading books about him and find the little bits and pieces of his life so interesting. Like the time he went to The North Entrance of Yellowstone in 1903 to dedicate the laying of the corner stone in Roosevelt’s Arch.

Teddy brought along his hunting rifle, thinking he would take in a little  game hunting while visiting our Nation’s First National Park until his advisors explained otherwise. (Hee hee)  He had grit!  

Yes, I have a thing for Teddy. Sigh.

WHOOPSY…I got side tracked here.

Okay back to the JFK coin.







On the reverse side is a version of the presidential seal. A heraldic eagle with a shield on its breast, holding a symbolic olive branch (peace) and a bundle of 13 arrows (strength)   The thirteen stripes represent the 13 colonies. The horizontal bar across the top represents Congress forming one government from many. Fifty stars representing the fifty states encircle the eagle which gives this coin the distinction of having more stars than any other coin. The metal composition is 90% silver and 10% copper. It’s total weight is 12.5 grams.

~~~*~~~

Okay. There you have it. Your lesson on the “N” word Numismatic is complete. Now if you will all get in a single file line and head back over to Jenny Matlock’s blog  (off on my tangent) you can learn more about the letter “N”.
 
Thanks for stopping by! And if you would be so kind as to remove Word Verification from your blog it would make commenting so much faster for all of us who would love to leave you a comment. Thanks and have a blessed day! ~Ames

* I heard that Blogger may be doing away with the Follow Me Button. Please click on the Linky Friends  button on the top left of my sidebar to continue following me. I sure would hate to lose you as a friend!~Ames 

20 comments:

PⒿ @ $ € € ₦$ ₣®0₥... said...

You and I, being the same age, have similar memories of our moms crying. I still have a stack of Kennedy half dollars. Never to be spent.

Lavender Cottage said...

Yes, a day remembered even in Canada and imprinted in my mind. Our 6th grade teacher came into the room crying and told us what had happened.
I just checked my wallet and I have a half dollar the same as yours, only a little newer. It was given to me by my father who had a thing for 50 cent pieces and since he passed away a couple of years ago, I hold on to this coin.
Interesting how another's post can affect a reader.

Sue McPeak said...

Thanks for sharing your 'Where Was I...JFK Story'. It's always been interesting to me to hear where others were and how they remember this historical and tragic event.

I was a junior in HS home for lunch and watching it on TV. I think nearly all Texas Schools let out for an early lunch so kids could watch the home black and white TV's. When we went back to school that day...everyone in shock...they sent us back home.

Afterall these years, it still saddens me...for the nation and for Texas. I have the coins and think Teddy was 'Superman'. Great Post!!!

Maggie said...

A very interesting and informative N post for A-T, thanks.

upinthecosmos said...

Great post, got to learn and have fun doing it:-)

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I was in school and Mrs. Miller, our teacher, left the classroom for a few minutes, returned, and said that the President had been shot and we all should just walk home.

My father came home from work and we all watched tv for the rest of the day, my mom was crying.

I'll never forget it!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I was 13 and in school when I heard that awful news. We all cried! I too have a Kennedy half dollar...this was a great post Ames. Hugs, Linda

Sue said...

I was at school when I found out, and my teacher was crying. It was surreal.

When I got home, my mother was crying, too. What an overwhelming day, and I remember that there was nothing at all on TV but news about the tragedy for the next couple of weeks.

I was 11 years old, and I remember as if it were yesterday.

"/

anitamombanita said...

It was a surreal moment, wasn't it? I imagine that anyone who lived through it remembers it well. I was at school and I just remember how everything changed that day. I still remember my teacher from that year because of that day. Nice post!

Jo said...

Oh the memories of that day still burn deep ... i was also 6 at the time, and even up here in Canada it was such a life changing event. My mom and aunt were shopping for Christmas presents ... my mom was thinking of getting the boys toy guns, she was holding one as the announcement came across the PA system at the department store ... my mom never did buy the toy guns ... that was a dramatic lead in story to your N post, well done Ames!!!

bluegrassnotes said...

I remember sitting in Mr. Clevenger's sixth grade class when the principal came over the loudspeaker to tell us the President was dead. His voice broke while he told us and Mr. Clevenger started crying and then we all started crying.

Annesphamily said...

This is an excellent post! I think I still have a JFK half dollar too! I always enjoy some history in my blog hopping! My oldest son is a history buff and getting a degree in History too. He is such a swell guy! I will show this to him!
Hugs and happy weekend! Anne

Gattina said...

I also remember this day although it was in Belgium. My mother and I were in a supermarket and suddenly we heard it through the loud speakers. Everybody stopped and there was a silence, I will never forget !

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

I loved reading your post of your memory and also those of your commenters of what and where they were at...

(I had to smile about your being sidetracked with Teddy:o) Thank you for your informative and memory post!

Oh! also...
I kept reading how Google friend connect will be something of the past, but did NOT want to believe it...cuz computer/tech changes are not something I enjoy! :o) But I took a leap into and got connected with Linky followers...so, whenever you get a chance, please follow along with my blog there...it is on my sidebar.

Hm...just when I finally get comfortable to something (some has taken me longer than others to learn!) and yikes, another change...just like facebook's new Timeline? Havent done that one yet.

I am following you now too :o)

Blessings & Aloha!

Erika said...

I was not born when that happened but I was in school and glued to the tv in school watching the first teacher go into space when the shuttle exploded. That will forever remain in my memory.

Erika

Splendid Little Stars said...

I do remember that day. I was in school. Everything stopped.

enjoyed this post!

Kara said...

Great post. I did not know that word so thanks for sharing.

Andy said...

Hello.
Interesting post, Ames.
I hear you too about word verification...half the time I can't decipher the words. I belong to a few Facebook groups whose members regularly post. Sometimes, I'll have 100+ blogs to read...when 95% of them have word verification...let's just say I start out with a full head of hair...by the time I'm done, I'm half bald! (LOL) It's a shame, because when I come across a blog with WV on, I just pass it by.
Thanks for sharing & visiting.

No Anguish Or Pain

Jenny said...

What a Neat lesson in Numismatics...

I suspect that you wish Teddy was on some American currency... (((winkwink)))

Nostalgic post for the letter "N"!

Thanks for linking.

A+

Blogger said...

Using BullionVault you may obtain physical gold & silver bars at current market prices.

Your gold and silver is stored at one of 5 secure global vaults. And you are able to sell it online or take out physical bars.