Friday, January 20, 2012

Can an old dog learn a new trick?



For about 10 of the 25 years I worked, it was alongside a wonderful man I shall call Hector.

Only Hector is not his real name.

Just sayin’

Well not everyone could work with Hector. They couldn’t understand what he was saying.

You see, Hector had a speech impediment. And he was Hispanic.

The rrrrrr’s just rolled out of his mouth.

I was the only person that understood Hector. To me it wasn’t hard; I just focused on every word he said.

He talked to himself a lot. Every time he was frustrated he would say the  “Sh*t” word.

I said “Hector, you’ve got to stop saying that. Someone will hear you and take offense.”

He would say “I dough not know how to stop saying the
 “Sh*t” word.”

I said “Think of something else to say in place of “Sh*t or I will charge you a quarter for each time you say “Sh*t” and we’ll buy ice cream with the money and you won’t get any!”

He looked at me with confusion. I could tell he was thinking. I could tell he was searching for the appropriate word.

From then on, Hector would drop something and we would hear him say “Shoes!”
Photo courtesy of BenettonTalk

“Shoes this and shoes that!”

The years flew by and one day I showed up at Hector’s (not his real name) retirement party. He approached me with his wife, gave me a big hug and told me in his thick Hispanic accent,

“I just wanted you to know, I dough not ever say the word “Sh*t” or “Shoes” anymore.

“That’s fantastic Hector. How did you stop?” I asked.

“Yolanda (not her real name) charges me a whole dollar if I say the word “Shoes.” She said she is sick and tired of hearing it. And she took all my money.”

~~~*~~~



Well I guess you can teach an old dog a new trick. ~Ames


6 comments:

BECKY said...

Awesome!! :)

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

This story could be the beginning of a great book!!! :)

Deb said...

That's greatness! You made quite an impact on Hector's (not his real name)life.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love this! Made me laugh!

Sue said...

Funny story, Ames. I laughed out loud.

=)

Jo said...

Hilarious story!!!! thanks so much for this laugh!!!