Thursday, January 12, 2012

Alphabe~Thursday “H” is for Hair

This is not me. But it could have been me.
I’m here to tell you that I was born with two heads of hair.


No kidding.

Beauty Shops hate to see me come in for a shampoo and a blowout. It grows twice the speed of everyone else’s hair and it takes twice as long to blow it dry.

They all think they should charge me double but I’m such a good tipper that they better not even try or I won’t come back.

So anyway where I was going with this was…………

Oh yes. Now I remember …..hair.

My niece Toni was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia when she was two. By five she was deemed clean. A few years after that she was diagnosed with a different leukemia called chronic lymphocytic leukemia. I hope I didn’t get those backwards. It’s been 17 years ago. She eventually had a bone marrow transplant and was deemed clean again only to die at the age of thirteen from chickenpox going to her brain. She had no immune system.

She was the most wonderful child any parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle could have asked for. And she was such a loving sister. She didn’t ask for much in her short life.

She wanted to be a teenager. Check!

She wanted to drive a car. Check!

She wanted to be engaged. Check!

She wanted hair. Check! Check!

Thanks to many generous people that donate their hair, children and adults can have their dignity back.

Because of our little Toni, I have grown and cut, grown and cut, grown and cut my hair to donate. I have two heads of hair remember!

Well I am no spring chicken but I am no old hen either. I wonder if they will take gray hair.

See, I never dye or bleach my hair. They won’t take processed hair that has been bleached.

Maybe I’ll try one more time.

For Toni.

If you think this is something you might care to try, there are plenty of organizations to send your hair to.

Locks of Love are who I use. You can Google one in your area.

Shed some hair and spread some Joy!

~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~

Thanks for stopping by. I hear there’s some awesome topics on the letter “H” over at Jenny Matlock’s blog (off on my tangent). You can get there by clicking on this link: http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2012/01/alphabe-thursday-letter-h.html
Thanks for stopping by!~Ames♥

14 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

What a wonderful thing to do! My hair is fine and does not do well long or I would love to do this. Bless you and your niece who's memory you do this in. hugs, Linda

upinthecosmos said...

What a sad but great story. I think it's so awesome that she had her wishes fulfilled before she died. Cancer really does suck!

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

Wow, a great story and here's hoping they accept your hair. It is such a beautiful colour... but then again this redhead might be biased : )
Dana

jfb57 said...

I had no idea that such a service was available. Thank you for my learning today!

anitamombanita said...

Good for you! I know other people who do the locks of love thing. I think it's awesome. I also have two heads of hair. I had a lady (ahhh, she was no lady) bite my head off at a concert one time because she said I had big hair... She was sitting behind me. Lol. But I color my hair (shhh, don't tell) so they won't use it... Not to mention that it's wildly curly and unruly, like me!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your niece but it is a wonderful thing that you do and share with others. I'm sure they would take grey hair so it would look more natural and age appropriate for some.

Nonna Beach said...

OMGpsh Ames,

I cried when I read your words and memories about sweet Toni. This was a very touching way to remember her and honor her memory by donating your hair...BRAVO XO !!!

Sue said...

I know a few people who have donated to Locks of Love. What a worthy gift that is!

=)

PS. I used to have two heads of hair. Sadly, now I have about 1/3 a head of hair. (Age has done more to my hair than turn it gray, I'm afraid...)

Sue said...

PS. I wish all of Toni's wishes could have come true.

Francisca said...

What a thoughtful way to keep your memory of your niece alive.

Andy said...

Hello.
This is a most wonderful & thoughtful thing to do. Hair is such an important thing for men & women. It's our crowning glory.
Lovely post.
Thanks for sharing.

Harp Of My Soul

Esther Joy said...

Bless you! Locks of love is a wonderful thing to do.

P.S. My youngest daughter is a beautician/cosmetologist/hair stylist - whatever title you want to give. She had fun practicing on my HAIR as she was learning. Good "H" word!

Annesphamily said...

Your post was beautifully written. My niece has twice donated her hair to locks for love. I think Troy Polamalu from the Pittsburgh Steelers should too!

Jenny said...

Oh Ames. What a heavenly post. I know so many people that do Locks of Love. My hair hardly grows at all. It never has. I get a little bit trimmed every once in awhile. This is a great trait for, say, shaving legs once every few months, but not so cool for trying to donate hair.

You're wonderful to do this.

Thanks for a heavenly link for the letter H.

Hugs and A+