Friday, December 30, 2011

My Take~ The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo


I went with my neighbor last night  to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I had seen the previews and it sucked me right in. I waited for it to come to my small town. 

Two men who had already seen it warned me in advance. But I still had to go.

Written by Steig Larsson, the original title was Män som hatar kvinnor – "Men Who Hate Women."  After his death he left three unpublished books.  This story is the first in his works known as the Millennium  series. The movie starring Daniel Craig, the hunky James Bond in Cassino Royale and Quatum of Solace, and Rooney Mara who starred in A Nightmare on Elm Street and The Social Network, both of which I have never seen.

I applaud Mara's acting. I don't think anyone else could have played the part of Lisbeth better than her. And that's what made the movie so real for me.

It was dark.

It kept me guessing.

It was raw.

There was  violence and abuse.....towards women.

Revenge.

It revealed the ugly side of life.

"... lurking within the fabric of Europe"

Horrors of the dark and the dammned.

Investigate the dead, you reveal the death

...and the atroscities

If you can endure viewing such ugliness to understand the story then I urge you to go and watch it.

 I was on the edge of my seat.

I was mortified.

I couldn't stop watching.

I couldn't stop thinking about how vulnerable we are.

Xenophobia

I had to go look it up .

Xenophobia: "An unreasonable fear of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange".

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was different.

She was strange.

But she was just as vulnerable as you or I.

Go see it.

I wonder if I would have understood the authors version in my mind any better than watching the directors interpretation of the authors work.

I think not.

I couldn't fathom such atrocities.

~Ames

9 comments:

Bookie said...

I don't shy away from difficult books or movies, but this one sounds like I might pass. For some reason, I have avoided the book while all around me have been reading it. I didn't know why exactly, must have sensed its darkness. I was considering the movie just for Daniel Craig viewing, but believe now I will wait for his next movie. Thanks for the tips!

DearHelenHartman said...

I have avoided the books and will the movie but so many friends are devotees of the story and writing that I can understand your reaction.

Judie said...

I have seen the original version in Swedish, and it was excellent. I read all three books before they were published in the states. Bought them in Mexico in 2010.

Even though the film I saw was in Swedish with English subtitles, I forgot after a while that it was not in English, because I became so engrossed in the plot.

Happy New Year, Ames!!

Sue said...

I decided to pass on this one, but one of my kids saw and liked it. He is the one that felt I would not enjoy watching, and he usually guess right on such things.

Glad you enjoyed it, and Happy New Year!

=)

pchickki said...

Dang girl! I can't wait to see it !1
Happy New Year

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

That book is still so popular, but I just can't do it, Ames (the book or movie). Better you than me. It's a great review, though.
Have a wonderful New Year, my friend.
xoRobyn

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I tried to read the book and couldn't get into it. I will however see the movie I think. I like things that challenge me occasionally! This sounds like one of those movies.

BECKY said...

Hi Ames! I didn't read the book. Not sure why. Probably because I usually don't read what everyone else is reading, or saying is a wonderful book. So, I had no idea what it was about. Just this afternoon while having lunch with a group of writer friends, did I hear about it and how difficult it is to watch some of the scenes. I won't go see it, or read the book, but I'm impressed that you did! And...totally off the subject, I just read about your mishaps in Jenny's comment section. So sorry you had a bad day! (now can you hear that song playing in your head?!)

Jenny said...

I didn't like the book so I probably wouldn't go! How is your husband?