Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Alphabe~Thursday 2011 Christmas Post

     This is a repost from last year. My husband is going in the hospital tomorrow and I won't have time to write something new.  Don't worry, he will be better after his surgery. ~Ames                                                    


                                The Christmas Piglet

When I was a little girl my father went hunting every hunting season. I even walked behind him not knowing that he was tracking a deer. And if you can get beyond the fact that doing so is considered a very unsafe decision on a parent’s part, please keep in mind that song that Bucky Covington sings “A Different World” because I grew up in a different world from kids today.

One Christmas my father came home from the hunting lease with a burlap sack tied with a red ribbon. There was something wiggling inside that sack! My older sister always wanted a pet Raccoon and thought perhaps my father brought one home for her for Christmas! After she asked him if it was a Raccoon, my father told her that Raccoons don’t make good pets because he had one as a child and it turned mean on him. So we wondered what was wiggling inside the burlap bag. Then we heard this thing squeal as my father placed the burlap sack on the cold shiny asbestos tile floor. When it wiggled its way out of the sack it shot down the hall, slippin’ and a slidin’ trying for all its might to get a foothold, to get away from four squealing little girls.

There it was. A squealing spotted piglet being chased by four little squealing girls. It finally managed to out maneuver us and hightailed for the dark space under mine and my little sister’s bed. All one could see were four little butts sticking out from under a bed. What fun! What excitement! What a wonderful Christmas present.

After we caught this little piglet, and it was so very little, and each sister had an opportunity to hold it and pet it, our father told us how he found it. Apparently its mother had been killed, which was illegal to do so, and her untimely death left behind several little piglets. Each of my father’s hunting partners caught a piglet and each took a baby piglet home to bottle feed until it was old enough to survive on its own. Or at least that’s the version my father chose to tell us.

We bottle fed that little piglet until it was too big for its temporary home inside one of our rabbit pens. After Christmas, our father then gave our little piglet to a family that lived out in the woods. He said it was a better place for the piglet to grow up and we never saw that piglet again. I can only hope it didn’t end up on my plate at some point down the road.

Many years have come and gone since that Christmas, but I will always remember that little Christmas piglet.

Please take a few minutes to drop by Jenny Matlock's Christmas Alphabe~Thursday. You can get there by clicking on this link: http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/search/label/Alphabe-Thursday

Have a joyful holiday and a Merry Christmas!
~Ames



20 comments:

Viki said...

Good luck to your husband. I'll be thinking of you both.

Judie said...

Too bad you couldn't have kept it for a pet. Pigs are highly intelligent, you know, and easy to train.

Terry is going to feel soooo much better after his surgery!!

xoxo

Betty (picture circa 1951) said...

I hope that little piglet grew up and died of old age. That's what I like to think anyway.

Good luck to your husband. Hope he'll be home for Christmas and feeling well.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Thinking of you and your hubby! hugs, Linda

upinthecosmos said...

What a sweet little story, i can just picture you all squealing after the piglet! Hope all goes well for your husband. Happy Holidays:-)

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I am sending up prayers! Merry Christmas!

edenhills said...

I remember this story from last year, and I enjoyed it just as much this time. I hope your husband comes through the surgery without incident.

Lola said...

We send our prayers too!

Season’s greetings and a Happy New Year to you and yours!

It’s been such fun stopping by hereyour lovely blog this past year and look forward to *seeing* you again in 2012!

Vicki/Jake said...

Hope all turns out well for Christmas..keep us informed. And what a cute story! Oink Oink :)

Sue said...

Praying for a great surgery for your husband. Have a wonderful :Christmas, Ames! (And I hope your dental situation improves drastically very soon.)

=)

PS. I put up my Christmas Eve story today. It's not short, but I think it's a keeper.

Deb said...

I hope everything goes well with your husbands surgery. Will he be home for Christmas?

Nonna Beach said...

Oh, Ames, what a sweet story ! You have inspried me...I may have to start doing Alpha Thursdays after the holidays.

Hope all goes perfectly with your Hubs surgery !

EG Wow said...

I hope your husband is now on the mend and that you will have a joyous Christmas!

anitamombanita said...

Great story. Makes me kind of sad that we're having pork roast for Christmas dinner, though. :( Merry Christmas!

jeannette said...

That's a great story and so touching! Have a very merry Christmas!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a sweet memory! Merry Christmas dear one! ♥♥♥

JJ said...

And very Happy Holidays to you!

cj Schlottman said...

Thanks for this heartwarming story. I have your husband in my prayers.

Namaste.........cj

Annesphamily said...

Prayers for your hubby! I just realized you celebrate your wedding anniversary on my birthday! No wonder we are both so cool!
I love your story. What fun you must have had!
Love knowing you here. Hugs Anne

Jenny said...

Ames! I'm so late visiting and I hope everything is okay there! I'm going to scroll ahead!

I liked this story!