Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Alphabe~Thursday "D"

Sometimes life throws you a curve ball.



My daughter has been unemployed since last March, just before she was to go out on maternity leave. Dirty pool in my book, but as they say “When one door closes, another opens.”


So you may ask how does this tie into my “D” post for Alphabe~Thursday?


Well, since my daughter’s untimely and unfortunate unemployment started, making the dollar stretch as far as it can go has been a creative endeavor. While all this was going on, paw and I have been helping out any way we can, which brings me to my “D” post


No “D” is not for Dollars.


Not even for Dirty pool.


This “D” is for Diapers!


If you don’t have babies or grandchildren then you probably don’t realize how expensive those diapers are.


And babies poop a lot.


(((A LOT!)))


And have you seen the price of toilet paper?


Well that’s another story entirely.


Today I bought a $19.96 box of Huggies diapers for $4.96.



(((How you ask?)))


Well let me tell ya…..


I cut a $5.00 off coupon out of the Sunday paper for Huggies diapers .


I already had a coupon saved for a free $10.00 gift card from Target with purchase of a new prescription. And it just so happens that the doctor gave me a new prescription today.


Wahlah!


Diapers $19.96


Coupon -$5.00


Gift card -$10.00


$4.96 total cost for 96 diapers


Woo Hoo!


My daughter says she thinks I am the luckiest person, because I am always getting the deals.


Well you just have to pay attention and get creative.


P.S. My daughter has been offered a per diem job. Not the job she hoped for but she can’t turn it down. I hope all works out for her. She’s a hard worker, a wonderful mommy, and loving daughter. I am blessed to have her. I hope 2012 is a better year!


P.S.S. I know some of you probably could care less about diapers and how much they cost. But, it wouldn’t hurt to clip those diaper coupons if you know someone who can use them. Especially our military families over seas. Apparently expired coupons here stateside don't expire for six months overseas. The economy is in bad shape and every penny saved helps out!


Don’t forget to check out Jenny Matlock’s blog (off on my tangent) I’ve provided the short cut for you here:


http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/search/label/Alphabe-Thursday

Thanks for stopping by!~Ames



20 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

That's a shame about her job, dirty pool- absolutely! Good thing she has a loving, supportive mother!

Bookie said...

I am sorry to hear about the job. This world is in bad shape because there is nothing but greed running things...glad your daughter has you!

Brenda said...

Yes diapers do cost a lot and you got a wonderful deal. My youngest daughter is having another baby in May. This will be our 7th grandchild between two of our daughters. I think you are right I better start clipping those coupons now.

Vicki/Jake said...

D is for Diapers...haha.
And for lucky Daughter to have you:)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Ames you know I understand how expensive diapers are. I've gotten some deals myself using coupons and Groupon buys. You are a good Mom and Grandmom! hugs, Linda

Sue said...

That is a GREAT price. You really scored on that one.

Your daughter is lucky to have you in her corner!

=)

Annesphamily said...

My niece Holly was working a job too and "dirty pool" happened. I will have to tell you about it sometime. Meanwhile your post was perfect! I nearly fainted last Spring when I purchased diapers for my diaper cake for my niece Kate! But I had a great coupon too so the damage was much less painful then full price!
I will save my expired ones too. I did not know that about overseas and couponing!
I love that I came over here tonight! Hugs Anne

anitamombanita said...

Grandchildren are the best. We got a new one on Friday morning. But, yes, those dang diapers and stuff....soooo expensive!!

Deb said...

I completely understand the cost of diapers. We will be making that purchase today and I have the coupons saved. I'm off to look for that $5 dollar off coupon now.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I hope things get better for your daughter next year! So many people struggling...

Tina said...

You gotta love the bargains havent u. Hope your daughter fits in with her new job well.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

What a deal! I hope this new job works out well for her!

Betty (picture circa 1951) said...

I'm many years post diapers and I'm wondering how long those diapers will last? It looks like there's 96 of them in the box...will they last a month? When I first bought Pampers back in 1971 they were 69 cents a box. I can't remember how many were in the box, but for some reason I remember the 69 cents. I guess there were probably 12 in a box. Pampers were a big deal because prior to Pampers disposable diapers were basically a Kleenex with a piece of plastic attached and not very good.

tidbitsandtreasures2011 said...

I'm fortunate to have a job and just hope that continues. But I'm also a dedicated couponer and bargain hunter. It's rare anymore that I buy something that isn't either on sale or has a coupon offer to go with it.

Congrats to your daughter on her job. Hopefully it will eventually serve as a stepping stone to her dream job.

Nezzy said...

Woohoo!!! I'm always a great sucker for a great bargain and your right, ya have to be creative.

Outta my eight grandkiddos only one is still diaper clad but I have found many other great uses for diapers.

God bless ya and have a beautiful weekend sweetie!!!

Esther Joy said...

I never thought about clipping diaper coupons for someone else. What a good idea!

I hope whatever you had to get a new Rx for is doing what it is supposed to do for you, and that you are in good health!

Tina´s PicStory said...

looks like you are a good dealer :)

Cheryl D. said...

You're a good mommy! I hope your daughter's gig leads to something more permanent! Here's to a great 2012!

Splendid Little Stars said...

you scored!
Thanks for sharing about the coupons! great idea!

Jenny said...

Ames! I never ever thought about clipping diaper coupons and sending them away! I will start doing that this Sunday.

I am a big couponer...In fact I was just up figuring how my strategy for today since it's the first Wednesday of the month here...coupons plus 10 percent off your entire check out bill for Senior discount!

I suspect 2012 will be better for your daughter! Things just have to turn around soon!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Thanks for linking up!

This was delightful.

A+