Saturday, October 1, 2011

Saturday Centus #74 ~All Creatures Great and Small .....

Welcome to Saturday Centus #74. A writing meme created and hosted by Jenny Matlock.

The rules are simple. She provides a prompt and tells us the amount of words we are allowed to use to write a story that includes the prompt. It can be any genre we choose.


This week the word count is 100 plus this 10 word prompt: "The number you have reached is no longer in service."


and now on to my contribution......


~~~~~~~

The automated voice on the other end of the line said "The number you have reached is no longer in service."

“Great, another pet abandoned.”

Gwen managed to get the last dog that was locked in a foreclosed house rescued and adopted. With people losing their jobs and homes, they were walking away from everything, including their pets.

“Lord? What kind of person abandons their family pet?”

Gwen sat down next to the sick dog. She lifted the poor animal's head and looked into its lost eyes.

“You are a creature of God. You give unconditional love and this is how you are paid back? I won’t let you down.”




                                          ~~~~~


All things bright and beautiful,


All creatures great and small,


All things wise and wonderful:


The Lord God made them all.


~by (Mrs) Cecil Frances Humphreys Alexander (1848)


Want to see how many different takes there are on this one prompt? Go to Jenny's blog (off on my tangent) and check them out. You can get there by clicking on this link: 




20 comments:

beckyp said...

great post Hope the puppy finds a new home

Wanderer said...

What a sweet post! It really makes you think about animals. I often wonder what they are thinking when we don't take time with them when they are so unconditional with us. Just gave my dog a little affection as she naps beside my chair!

Nonna Beach said...

Awwwwww... love this Ames. Our companion friends certainly deserve loving care, kindness and our loyalty because they give it to us unconditionally !

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Great story! This scene (pet left at a foreclosed house) probably occurs more than we know! Many years ago a neighbor moved and left their cat....He became one of the best pets I've ever had!

Daydreamertoo said...

That is so sad because, it is so true. How people can just walk away and leave them I do not know.

Amanda said...

That was strong! Great work Ames!

Bookie said...

I wanted to "paly" today but just not enough time yet! Have to say you did an excellent job with Centus today yourself!!! I just don't understand walking away from pets either...it happens here too. Imagine what these pets must think...and dogs DO think!!!!

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

You and this post are very sweet, Ames. I'm ever appalled at the numbers of pets that are abandoned around here.

Great job conveying an important message.

xoRobyn

Judie said...

Ames, you made me cry! Our pets are such an important part of our lives!!! Some people just don't deserve to have pets!!

xoxo

cj Schlottman said...

Ames, I love this, and I love you for rescuing the dog. Thanks, also, for the timely reminder of just what is going on in this country. It's a damned shame.

Namaste.............cj

Alison said...

This almost made my cry. Great use of the prompt. And I don't understand how people can abandon their pets, even when times are tough. It is so sad, and wrong. No matter what happened, I would never abandon my cats.

upinthecosmos said...

Nice use of the prompt:-)

Viki said...

This is such a relevant post. I've seen this happening on the local news here. It is very sad that people do this.

Sue said...

Really touching, Ames. And sad.

=)

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Ames, this is so true and such a great message you've posted. Well done! laurie @ Battling My Inner Critic

Dazee Dreamer said...

I have a really hard time with people that abandon and misuse their pets. You did a very good job of this prompt.

The Cello Strings said...

perfect.


you are a thoughtful writer.

JJ said...

Just saying hello, Ames.

oneoldcowgirl said...

Hi, been missing you. Cows are gone at the end of the month and maybe I'll have more time to get back to blogging and writing, like you. You're doing great :-)

Jenny said...

Oh Ames, this really touched me.

It makes me sad that this is something that really happens. People ask like it's trash they're leaving behind...not a living, breathing, loving life!

This really touched me.