Saturday, October 15, 2011

Saturday Centus #76~ Finding Home

Welcome to Saturday Centus #76. This week is umm ... well it feels quite odd. I mean Jenny has decided to give us a challenge and frankly I am not sure if I am understanding what it is she is directing us to do.  It's the usual 100 words and the prompt is this picture but....we have to describe the image in a story using these  five senses: hearing, sight, touch, smell, and taste.

Okiedokie here we go, so on to my contribution.....
~~~~~~





The smooth walking stick in my hand kept a rhythmic glide with my stride.

Age would not deprive me of my journey down this old dirt road.

The quiet filling of my senses; sweet grass, and chimney smoke wafting in the air.

I took in the sight of it, run down, weathered and neglected.

The sound of leaves flickering with cold rain; the sweet taste of it misted upon my face.

The rain turned the old gray clapboards a warm patina; every tree around it seemed greener.

Then it became clear to me, this would always be home. I smiled.

~~~~~
 
Ok so how did that feel... uh I mean smell... no I mean did you perceive anything ?? Oh well perhaps maybe you can stop by Jenny's blog (off on my tangent) and maybe you will have a better understanding of what Jenny means. You can get there by clicking on this link: http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/10/saturday-centus-literary-device.html
 
Thanks for stopping by!~Ames

18 comments:

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

This is so nice, Ames. You did a great job!
xoRobyn

Judie said...

Hey, Ames! Come on in!! You're home!! (you're also very good at this!!!)

Mary Elizabeth said...

I heard, smelled, and saw everything! Enjoyed it!!

Viki said...

This was tough for me too. You got all the elements in as far as I can see. The best thing was, it was a very enjoyable read. Good work!

Bookie said...

Nice work...feel the importance of place!

Sue said...

Great use of sensory detail, Ames. I really felt like I was there with you!

=)

anitamombanita said...

I can smell the wet grass and smoky air. Nice job.

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

I think your story was the perfect example of sensory story-telling! Love it! Great job!

pchickki said...

Fantastic! and I love the photo :)
Job well done . How fun !!

JJ said...

Ames: Terrific job! However, you used six senses. Perception?

Ames said...

Oops..just caught that. :)

DearHelenHartman said...

Great job - sometimes you have to use extra senses, if you can do it and make it work, you're allowed.

Dazee Dreamer said...

Sweet. I'm glad that you went in a good feeling in the house.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Nice story!

Nonna Beach said...

Excellent Ames ! Very vivid and a pleasure to read !

PⒿ @ $ € € ₦$ ₣®0₥... said...

Have you ever written short stories? You should. You have a lot of talent, Ames.

Diann said...

I think you did a great job with using the picture and the senses!

Jenny said...

Loved this Ames. I could see it in my mind...even without the picture.