Friday, September 2, 2011

Alphabe~Thursday "T" is for Turnips and Turnip Greens

“T” is for Turnip
A turnip cannot be coaxed, squeezed, or cajoled into producing blood. All efforts at obtaining blood from this vegetable will be futile.”
~Urban Dictionary



There you have it.


You can’t squeeze blood out of a turnip.


But…. us Southern folk can create pot liquor out of Turnip greens.


That’s right, pot liquor. That green juice produced from stewing the green tops of the Turnips.


Toss in a little ham hock, a ton of greens (they cook down) and season with salt and stew, stew, stew and you’ll get pot liquor.


Sop it up with a hunk of corn bread and Ooouuuweeeboy!


Liquid gold…er I mean liquid green


Nectar of the Gods


Breakfast of Champions


Good for what ails ya


Keep’s things moving


Try it sometime…you’ll like it.


Maybe.


See! Aren’t you glad you stopped by? But please don’t forget to stop by Jenny Matlock’s blog (off on my tangent) or she’ll turn into a green meanie. Not really but you can get there by clicking on this link: http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/08/alphabe-thursdays-letter-t.html






Thanks for stopping by! ~Ames

16 comments:

upinthecosmos said...

LOL, sounds interesting. Who doesn't love greeeeeen?!?

Pondside said...

I have never heard of pot liquor. I thought, at first, that it was some strange southern cross between a drug and a drink. Whew - I was glad to realise that it was something to eat!...and dunk bread into. I could be all over this!

Wanderer said...

Never heard of pot liquor. Sounds good. We make something similar with cabbage.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Oh I love turnips! Greens and the root cut up in them. YUM!

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

I was raised on turnip greens, pot liquor and cornbread!!! YUM!!!

Sue said...

Sure sounds good to me! (Is it okay to add some beans??)

=)

Judie said...

As soon as I saw the word Turnip, I knew this post would be about pot likker (shame on you for spelling it like liquor!)!! It is best for "sopping" with cornbread. What wonderful memories of my grandmother this brings to me! Thanks, you sweet thing!! xoxo

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love any kind of 'greens'! I'm as Southern as they get! If I could write as slow as I talk...well! heehee! ♥

lissa said...

I've never try turnips in any of its forms so it's a surprise to me to hear of turnip into pot liquor. how does it taste?

JennieB said...

I love roasted turnips. You can mash them too. But I never knew about this!

beckyp said...

sounds kind of good I love cornbread Does it smell funky?

Birgit said...

Gosh, the things I learn each day! What a GREAT post -- and thanks for visiting my blog earlier today. :)

Greetings from Germany,
Birgit

Betty (picture circa 1951) said...

Although I live in the south now I was raised in the north. I have never eaten greens and I'm afraid they don't appeal to me because of the way they look. I guess I'll always be a Yankee at heart.

lulumusing said...

I wonder where the blood out oa turnip thing originated. I like turnips and have tried fixing them in a variety of ways, but nothing works for my family, not even calling them mashed potatoes!

Our Village is a Little Different said...

I'm a NY girl - I'm sorry to say I've never had anything like this - but I'm sure I'd give it a try - at least once!
-Catherine

Jenny said...

I see the south just shining out of this neat little link!

My Grandma did the whole dandelion greens thing a lot, but we never had turnips. Ohio perhaps wasn't the place to grow them. Not sure!

Thanks for a fabulously terrific link this week.

I loved it!

A+