Saturday, August 6, 2011

Saturday Centus #66~ A Rose Called Sharon


Hello friends! It’s time for another Saturday Centus. Jenny is digging down deep into her bag of tricks and turning up surprises with this week’s Centus. We can only use 50 words and this prompt: “You Are My Sunshine.

My story this week is about Jack and his award winning roses. Each year Jack enters a new variety into the contest. He has walked away with "First Place" every year.

All of the other gardeners know a hardy rose needs several things to flourish; Six hours of good sunlight, soil with proper drainage, water, dead heading of old blooms, and a really, REALLY good organic fertilizer. But what does Jack do differently?


Now on to my contribution…..


~ ~ ~
Jack started humming “You Are My Sunshine” as he patted the dirt around the rose bush.


He got up from his knees and said “There, that’s that.” As he looked around at his beautiful rose garden he spotted the lone tennis shoe.


“Oops, now how did I miss you?”



~~~~~~


I know you are dying to read this week's Saturday Centus offerings. Why don't you drop by Jenny Matlock's blog (off on my tangent) and check them out. You can go there by clicking on this link:


http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/08/saturday-centus-you-are-my-sunshine.html


You are my sunshine, my only sunshine ~ ~ ~
You make me happy, when skies are gray ~ ~ ~
You'll never know dear, how much I love you ~ ~ ~
Please don't take...my sunshine...away.

Thanks for stopping by. ~ ~Ames

24 comments:

Bookie said...

Brief but catching! Your Centus made me realize I misunderstood Jenny! I thought an extra 50 and not ONlY 50. Darn. You did well with yours but I don't have heart to start again I don't think.....

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Naughty! Hope you're having a great weekend:@)

cj Schlottman said...

Too funny! I was all set for a different ending. A tennis shoe. Really? I love this!

Namaste..........cj

Nonna Beach said...

Excellent and unexpected Ames !

A Mystery never solved ? I have a thousand questions in my head !
BTW, like Bookie, I misunderstood the instructions and corrected my submission.

Gems said...

The tennis shoe was a surprise! Now, you might need to post the answer to that puzzle :)

Gems x

JJ said...

Ames: I love your mind.

beckyp said...

such a great post I can picture my dad doing the same thing

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Very clever, Ames. Now I know what to do with my old tennies.
Be well.
xoRobyn

Daydreamertoo said...

Smiling at this, great use of the centus prompt!

Jo said...

Now I know why his roses grow so well ... and it really creeps me out ... darn, i have little shivers now ... darn you and your wickedly delightful mind!!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I am still laughing about the comment you just left me! I LOVE it...my FAVORITE comment of them all! Hugs! ♥

Dazee Dreamer said...

haha. so good. and what a beautiful picture.

Judie said...

Ames, my kids had some tennis shoes that would have made terrific fertilizer. Just the smell would make your eyes water. Great take on the prompt!!

5thsister said...

Ha! Those stinky shoes repurposed! Your friend Jack is quite "green".

PⒿ @ $ € € ₦$ ₣®0₥... said...

A good read takes us where we weren't expecting to go.....the tennis shoe. Loved it.

I never even read the rules for this week's Centus...obviously. I broke them all. I'm quite sure Miss Jenny is going to make me wear the dunce cap.

Amanda said...

I heard eggshells are good too, but I've no idea why. :D

ain't for city gals said...

Hi Ames..this is the song we sang to my niece forevery while she was growing up...she just finished taking her bar exams last week!! and that was what I told her no matter what happens with the exams..you are my sunshine!...I laughed at your comment..I know Jenny wants a lime green trailer but this one is for me...I think it will be my saving grace in a couple of months...going to go camping and reflect on things with my dad in my heart...

Sue said...

If I interpreted this correctly, you are a wicked woman. And I love it!

=D

Erika said...

Wow. This could be a funny ending or one slightly more sinister! Love it.

Anna said...

Dear Ames,
Thank you for your words of wisdom on my SC-post. I agree with you. If Sanna will ever meet Mr Right it will be when she least expects it.

Great centus you have here, but I am not sure I have understood it.

I am thinking that it wasn't the tennis shoe that helped the roses, but something much more sinister and dreadful. Or maybe I've been watching too many old Hitchcock films on DVD!

Please tell me I'm, wrong!

Best wishes,
Anna
For the benefit of other readers:
Sanna's Sunshine SC Wk 66

For a little lighter reading, visit my cat, Sara's own blog:
P is for Presents - Sara Cat AT-rd-3-P

Barbara Rosenzweig said...

Thanks for stopping by and telling about your dad's amending the soil to change the hydrangea's colors. Neat!

Have a great week.

upinthecosmos said...

That's some organic fertilizer alright;-)

Madge said...

HA!! That's awesome, LOL!!

Jenny said...

How many missing people are reported in Jack' neighborhood?

Yikes!

Macabre and good.

It made me shiver.