Thursday, August 25, 2011

Alphabe~Thursday "S" is for SPAM

Hi all! This week for Alphabe~Thursday everyone is talking about the letter “S” and since the Eastern seaboard of the United States has a Hurricane bearing down on it, I thought I’d share a few useless facts about SPAM, the other meat.
SPAM
Considered a staple, among us Southern folk, in Hurricane supplies that is, SPAM ranks right up there between matches, extra toilet paper, batteries, water and powdered milk.

Yes, it flies off the shelves during pre-hurricane preparedness in Florida. It keeps for a long time and has its own attached handy dandy can opener.

Fact: When you are hungry you will eat just about anything.

SPAM: A gelatinous pork brick.

Food of the Gods

Breakfast of Champions

It ranks right up there with pickled pigs feet and head cheese. You just haven’t lived until you’ve eaten a fried SPAM sandwich with yellow mustard. Once you’ve had one you won’t want another one until next year’s Hurricane season. But as soon as Hurricane season rolls back around your mouth begins to salivate. Ooouuuweeeboy!

And it comes in several varieties now: SPAM Classic, SPAM Hot & Spicy, SPAM Less Sodium, SPAM Lite, SPAM Oven Roasted Turkey, and Hickory Smoked, SPAM with real Hormel Bacon, SPAM with Cheese, SPAM Black Pepper, SPAM Garlic, and SPAM Spread. ¹ Consider the possibilities!

Did I mention it is considered a comfort food in Hawaii?? A prison guard that transports prisoners stateside once told me this. Not that I’ve ever been in prison, I just have a friend in the system. Yes, I have friends in low places.

They even serve it at Burger King in Honolulu. It’s called SPAM in the A.M. and McDonald’s even has their version of a SPAM, eggs, and rice plate.

Hey, did you know there’s a SPAM Museum in Austin, Minnesota?¹

And Austin, Texas used to hold a “SPAMARAMA” festival every year around April fool’s Day.¹ You gotta love those Texans! They are a hardy bunch of people with cast iron stomachs. Don’t mess with Texas or their SPAM!

Asians love SPAM too! It is often served with rice and is considered polite and acceptable to give as a gift to the hostess when invited into a person’s home.¹

Even Israel has a kosher version of SPAM called Loof.

There’s even a “Book of Spam” waahhhhhh (that’s me doing the heavenly choir) you can click on this link to check out the book: http://www.thebookofspam.com/ 

Don’t discount SPAM on your next grocery shopping excursion.

Try it! You’ll like it!

Maybe.

Well now, don’t forget to stop by Jenny Matlock’s blog (off on my tangent) you can get there by clicking on this link: http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/08/alphabe-thursdays-letter-s.html  Just don’t tell her I’m Spamming everyone; she’s liable to block me!

Thanks for stopping by! ~Ames



1. According to Wikipedia.
Photo credits: Wikipedia






16 comments:

myorii said...

Mmm, mmm, mmm, I love Spam too :) It is indeed very popular with Asians, at least I grew up eating spam with eggs and sandwiches. My grandmother also has this recipe that uses spam as the main meat ingredient :) Every time I go home, I stock up on spam and take it back with me to Japan because it's much cheaper that way. :)

Theresa Plas said...

You learn something new every day! I had no idea SPAM was so popular....Happy "S" day:)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

This cracked me up! When I lived in Hawaii in the late 60's we ate Spam and loved it! I haven't had it in years! Who knew there was a museum! Fun post!
hugs,
Linda

Sue said...

What a fun/ny post, Ames! Started off my day with a chuckle.

(I am not, however, a Spam fan...)

;)

Nonna Beach said...

Great post... Very clever Ames !

I ate fried SPAM and dipped it mustard nearly every week while I was growing up. If I have to eat it during an emergency so be it, but I never eat it because I love it( that's why they call spam on the net and in emails SPAM, because its the leftover junk from the animals !

Dazee Dreamer said...

omg, a whole post about spam. after I get done rinsing my mouth out of the throw up I just uped, I will give you congrats on such a nice post and use of the S prompt.

Self Sagacity said...

This stuff has been around for so long, my x loved it still
Double link-up, come join the conversations every Thursday and Post your questions on Thursday Two Questions Meme

Judie said...

Yes, indeed, Girl Raised in the South! We southerners love our Spam! I must confess that I have not bought it in years, because it is soooo high in sodium, but I notice that they now have lower sodium Spam, so maybe I should check it out. Nix on the head cheese, though! That stuff looks REALLY NASTY!!

EG Wow said...

Ha! No thanks to the Spam but I LOVED your post. It made me smile. :)

lissa said...

I used to like Spam but not anymore. I will only eat it if there's no other choice. fun post!

storybeader said...

I bet my DH has eaten it before but I haven't tasted this delicacy! Maybe we should put it on our shelves, just in case {:-D

Kerri said...

HIGH-larious! I canNOT believe they actually serve it in restaurants. Please, please do a post on "potted meat" - I am sure you know it too if you were raised down South like me! :P

PⒿ @ $ € € ₦$ ₣®0₥... said...

"SPAM: A gelatinous pork brick, food of the gods,
Breakfast of Champions" - I laughed so hard and it sounded like a cartoon character.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Ahh. I used to live in FL and I remember sticking a can or two of spam in the cupboard "just in case". I never actually ate it though...

just sayin...

lulumusing said...

Do you think spam will be an accepted word?!?
Would you believe we are readying for a hurricane this far north? I'm not loading up on SPAM, just bringing in the porch furniture!

Jenny said...

We grew up eating spam. I can honestly say, I have never, ever made it as an adult. I'd rather eat beans. It's something about the texture that creeps me out!

My mother was a master at attempting to 'disguise' it, though, and at our house you had to stay at the table until your plate was clean.

Yeah.

Ummm...

I had more than a few sore butt days from resisting ingesting it. Along with tripe, tongue and heart.

Acccckk.

Thanks for a funny post!

I love the way you write, Ames.

A+