Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Alphabe~Thursday "J" Is for Journal

I can't believe it's time for Alphabe~Thursday again. I guess that old saying really is true...the older you get the faster time flies.
This week it's all about the letter "J".....

....and  "J" is for Journal. 

Do you journal?

Is your journal packed full of things noone else should read?

Do you ever wonder what others might think if they were to read your journal in the future?

Would that prevent you from being truthful about what you write now?

Sometimes the contents of lost journals can change history as we know it.
~~~
This week I am trying something different. I thought I would try my hand at writing a continuation from my last Saturday Centus contribution "We Are Not Alone". If you want to follow along and read it from the beginning (it's only 103 words long) you can click on the link here: http://rivahchick.blogspot.com/2011/06/saturday-centus-59-we-are-not-alone.html

and now on to my SC continuation and "J" post......

~~~~~~~~
Sundeep stood, squinting against the noon day sun; his hand came up to shade his eyes as he scanned the topography. “How did you find it?” he asked.

Dr. Jarhreem looked up from his camera scope; his face was dark and deeply wrinkled from years of sun beating down upon him. His eyes were starting to turn cloudy from cataracts.“Purely by accident my friend. A new excavation has been started to the east. We were triangulating off the latest archeological discovery from satellite imagery when the surveyor rested against this stone. He felt the cool air coming from this small opening and thought he had discovered a shaft into another chamber. I was immediately notified. Once I came here and scoped the opening I was at a loss for words. We have sent everyone away and secured the area.” he said as he wiped the sweat from his forehead and went back to looking into his camera.

“May I look again?” Sundeep asked as he held out his hand for the scope. Dr. Jarhreem handed off the scope and stepped back. The light shining through the stone into the cave was just enough illumination to make out the size of the cave. Silence ensued for a long time. Dr. Jarhreem watched Sundeep maneuver the scope inside the stone, apparently taking in the contents of the cave and the area surrounding the spaceship. Dr. Jarhreem noticed the wind was beginning to pick up.

The silence was broken when Sundeep pulled the scope out of the stone and said “It appears to have crashed into a ledge inside of a very large cave below this stone. The cave opening has been covered by sand through time.” He handed off the camera to Dr. Jarhreem and started stepping off an area that he estimated to be the size of the cave. Dr. Jarhreem stared at Sundeep in silence. He still could not believe the size as Sundeep kept walking further away from him.

When Sundeep looked back at Dr. Jarhreem he yelled “We are going to have to notify the government.” As he rounded back and came close to Dr. Jarhreem he said as he was smiling “The question is, my old friend, do you want to notify them now? Or after we excavate a shaft into the cave?”

Dr. Jarhreem slowly beamed a smile and slapped Sundeep’s back. “We must work quickly my friend, take many pictures and document everything in a journal. The government may want to cover this up. They must not find out about the journal or any photographs taken. We must hurry!”

~~~~~
 
Now why don't you hurry on over to Jenny Matlock's blog (off on my tangent) and check out some more interesting post about the letter "J". You can get there by clicking on this link: http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/06/alphabe-thursdays-letter-j.html
 
 
I hope you enjoyed my story. Thanks for stopping by!~Ames

15 comments:

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I love your story! I've tried to journal in the past and just couldn't keep it up.

I like to think that my blog is a journal of sorts!

Amanda said...

Yes, I enjoyed the story. It brought back fond memories. As a child I had the privilege of watching many now defunct series of the 60s and the 70s. The story captures their spirit well.

Jo said...

Hey I'm a G.R.I.T.S girl too, I'm your newest follower visiting from Alphabe Thursday.
Great J word, my blog is my journal, and I love having fun blogging and meeting new people,hope you can follow back and visit, we were having a "J" oyous O time this weekend!
~JO
LazyonLoblolly

Nonna Beach said...

Wow Ames, that was a good read and I could hear the cute accent of Dr. Jarhreem when I read it. I'm sure you have a lot of good stuff to add to this story and I can't wait to read it !

La said...

I've started journals many times, but I never stay with it very long.

Judie said...

You, Ames, are a woman of many talents. This is a GREAT read!! Now you had better start writing more on this, or you know what will happen!!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

I went back to the start of this story...and how awesome of you to continue it here! oh...will there be more? ...makes me want to read more and more of it!

...my blog was started to go hand and hand with the art that I do...to give little glimpses of me and my family...as I post, I look at them as a journal of sorts to the things that I can remember... I wish that blgos were around back when my mom and dad, my hubby and I and our children were growing up...how fun it would have been to look back on... And so, I hope my posts will be for our children and future grandchildren to look back on, as well...

Blessings & Aloha!
(Last week, I didnt get to as many others on the "I" post link-ups, as I would have liked...but doing better this week!)

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This was so well done. I journaled in college and it seemed to pretty depressing stuff.

upinthecosmos said...

Great story, makes me want more:-)

Sue said...

Masterful post, Ames, combining a great story with a perfect J word...journal!

I used to journal in books, but now my blog suffices. For the most part.

;)

PⒿ @ $ € € ₦$ ₣®0₥... said...

Hi Ames - wonderful read.....made me feel like I was a fly on the wall there.

I've never kept a journal......until I blogged. It's a way of journaling only the things you'd want the world to read. :)

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Journaling is a wonderful form of free writing! I think it's ART!
Happy J day!
Coralie

Jenny said...

What a neat story. I love your imagination. I used to journal electronically but now I just blog. For some reason writing by hand takes too long and I can't get my thoughts down quick enough!

Thanks for a thoughtful post and a great jewel of a story.
A+

lulumusing said...

I ha e years of journals and, yes, I think occasionally about destroying them as there are some things there that belong just to me. In regard to everyday life, don't you think our blogs resemble a journal?

Deb said...

Wow girl, you have me on the edge of my seat. I can't wait to see what happens to Sundeep.