Thursday, June 16, 2011

Alphabe~Thursday "I" is for Information

Is too much information useless?

Is too little information dangerous?

Is information knowledge?

Can we learn from it?

A Commanding Officer once told my ex son-in-law ….. “I didn’t know... is not a valid excuse. It’s up to you to know.”

According to a quote from Albert Einstein ~Information is not knowledge.

I’m not sure in what context he was applying his quote to, but for me, learning information helps me to become knowledgeable.

So…here is a little piece of information I find fascinating.
~~~~~

Times Beach, Missouri
Route 66 State Park in Missouri was once called Times Beach, Missouri.

Times Beach was founded in 1925 as a resort community that eventually became home to 2200 residents.

It is the site of one of America’s worst pollution disasters.

Times Beach could not afford to pave their roads, thus from 1972 to 1975 city officials hired a waste hauler to spray waste oil on unpaved roads to alleviate dust.

The waste hauler also used waste oil to control dust in horse stables which resulted in the death of over 60 horses. In 1979 the Center for Disease Control and Prevention was called in to investigate. It was found that the waste hauler had subcontracted to haul waste for Northeastern Pharmaceutical and Chemical Company (NEPACCO).

During the Vietnam War, the NEPACCO facility had been a producer of Agent Orange and the waste clay and water removed from the plant contained levels of dioxin some 2,000 times higher than the dioxin content in Agent Orange.

The waste hauler claimed he was unaware that the waste contained dioxin. The dioxin had already permeated the soil, and flooding from the Meramec River further spread the dioxin throughout the town.

Long story short…..

The town was bought, dismantled and decontaminated by the United States Environmental Agency (EPA). The EPA purchased the town for 32 million dollars and spent 110 million dollars cleaning it up before turning it over to the State of Missouri.

Though dioxin has been connected to cancer, skin diseases, immune disorders, and birth defects, the long term effect on the exposed residents is still unknown.

This information was brought to you by the letter “I”. Please stop by Jenny Matlock’s blog (off on my tangent) and checkout other stories about the letter “I”. You can get there by clicking on this link: http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/06/alphabe-thursdays-letter-i.html

I hope you enjoyed my contribution for this week’s Alphabe~Thursday. Thanks for stopping by! ~Ames

17 comments:

mom2kiddos said...

The effects of pollution is devastating and even more so the long term effects. It's good of you to share this piece of knowledge. It doesn't hurt to know and learn more.

Jo said...

110 million dollars!~whew!
This info was interesting great "I" word,love this post I'm visiting from Alphabe Thursday.
Come see me I have "I" provised and having my first giveaway!
~JO
LazyonLoblolly

Deb said...

That is just down right scary! What a bunch of idiots. Good that they bought the town and cleaned it up. Where in the world did you come across this information? Very interesting.

Sue said...

Wow, I had no idea. What a gruesome story that is.

"/

PS. I hope their clean-up actually worked!

Dazee Dreamer said...

What a sad story. Thanks for the information.

Jingle said...

sorry for what happened in the story.

the questions on top is playful and wonderful.
Bless you,
Happy Thursday.

JJ said...

I agree with the commanding officer, and with you. Information gathering puts one on the road to expertise. It enables us to seek additional facts, until we become knowledgeable about things. Great post! I never heard of that pollution disaster. It is a pity.

Tes said...

Oh geez, that's scary! Good that they cleaned up! :(

Jamie said...

Wow, that is disturbing. Sometimes finding out what we don't know is scary, it makes me wonder what else I don't know! Thanks for stopping by my "Incredible Flowers" post-everyone tells me they are Peonies, and they smell amazing! Just some more information :)

Judie said...

Ames, I had no idea that this place existed. This is a fascinating story!

I agree with the commanding officer, and I also agree with Einstein--What one does with the information produces knowledge!!
xoxo

Lola said...

A truly gruesome story - so fascinating.

Thanks for stopping by!

XOXO Lola:)

Nonna Beach said...

Wow that was an awesome post, but terrible situation...I dearly hope it really was cleaned up....it's amazing to me what people will pollute and destroy for money !

I think in 1960, my Mom, Nana, me and my little brother might have passed close to that town. We drove Route 66 from California to Boston and back one summer...

ain't for city gals said...

There is so much that I don't know...if this happened there it probably happened else where..

Jenny said...

I think there can never be too much information.

Unless it's about something like yeast infections (which is also an I word that I'm thankful you DIDN'T write about this week)

What a horrible thing...it's amazing how many bad things occur that we know nothing about...or maybe it's a blessing...would any of us ever be able to sleep again?

Thanks for a fascinating stop this week.

A+

Vicki aka Jake said...

Information teaches so much. Some things you wish you didn't know.... This was a great I post.

myorii said...

In my opinion, it's always good to be well informed in life. Never hurts to know too much because you never know when it will be useful :)

As for the story behind Times Beach, Missouri...WOW! That is such a horrible thing to happen to an entire area. It's just awful the way we abuse the land we live on. This has been a very educating post for me. Thanks!

Farmer's Wyfe said...

Wow. Scary. I don't think we'll know all the results of the things we do in this world...every time my neighbors all spray their yards with poisons to keep the dandelions away, I wonder what kind of stuff is seeping into my well.
Interesting stuff here...thanks for sharing!