Sunday, May 29, 2011

Saturday Centus # 56~ The Wounded Soul

He loaded coffin after coffin into the plane, so many that he broke down and cried.

I want to go home real bad, but not like this” he thought as he wiped his nose on the backside of his hand and then down his pant leg.

After he returned home, his grandfather noticed the change. His grandson was a lost and broken soul.

The old man reached out and put a Purple Heart medal in his grandson’s hand. “They call it the legacy of heroes.” he said “For the memory of my brother’s name...... I’d rather have you than one of these.”

His grandson cried.


~~~~~
 
I noticed the changes in my nephew when he came back from Iraq. Only God knows what torments his soul. He is distant and has all but shut down wrestling those demons. You don't always need to take a bullet or shrapnel to feel the pain of war.
 
I hate war.
 
Maybe if mothers were in charge of the world........
 
~Ames
 
Please stop by Jenny's blog (off on my tangent) and read up on this powerful prompt in honor of Memorial Day. You can get there by clicking on this link:
 http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/05/saturday-centus-legacy-of-heroes.html
 
God bless those who serve. Thank You and God bless America!

16 comments:

Amanda said...

It's the worry of every mother. My heart sinks just thinking about it.

JJ said...

War is a stupid way to resolve human problems. It is SOMETIMES necessary to preserve freedom. We should honor our men and women who serve our nation. They are not politicians.

Bookie said...

Perfectly written, Ames.

Judie said...

Ames, what heartbreak! I am so grateful that my son never saw any action while in Egypt. When he returned, he was in the National Guard for several years. I'm glad he got out when he did. My son-in-law was still in the National Guard when he was called to serve in Iraq. He came back with severe PTSD, and Crone's Disease. It took many months for him to finally get his disability.

War over oil, war over religion-what a waste!!
xoxo

Deb said...

So sad...I hope your nephew gets help for those demons. War is truly hell for everyone fighting and for the families at home. God bless our troops and their families.

jfb57 said...

Thank you for reminding us that war does not stop on the battlefield.x

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Yes, yes, Ames. If only mothers ran the country. Cheers to you for a great post.

I didn't feel I could do justice to this prompt - hanging head low - so I skipped it. You certainly did.

xoRobyn

peaceroad said...

A very moving piece, an excellent job in writing it, Ames. You put tears in my eyes. I hope your nephew can conquer his demon one of these days. Healing takes time. It's a journey. What he needs is a lot of support, so that he knows he's not alone. May you and your family find peace this weekend or someday.

Sue said...

Same with my girlfriend's son. He really struggled for a couple of years, but he seems to be doing better since he met a great girl and fell in love. I think she has helped him talk about and work through a lot of his pain.

I hope your nephew can heal, too.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Very touching Ames. I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew.

gautami tripathy said...

This touched me. Your nephew may have changed in many ways but he will find his peace eventually...

jingling chains

Nonna Beach said...

Excellent Job ! You got me right in the gut , along with a few tears.

A searing take on the prompt Ames ! In wars past, our service members were told to "suck it up" if they had problems and demons haunting them from the horrors of war. Thank God now they can get the help they need without fear of being judged weak by the chain of command. I pray your nephew will come to terms with and put to rest his demons of war in time !!!

Tgoette said...

Such a poignant and moving story, Ames! And a solemn reminder of the senselessness of war and the leaders that nonchalantly send our soldiers to die.

Keda said...

My sentiments exactly. Although I wish grandfathers would speak up BEFORE their grandsons enlist. No one knows the damage that killing another human does to a person. THey say that during WW2 only a third of all soldiers could pull the trigger when faced with another person that they would be killing. THey say that this is kept silent and away from soldiers and mothers. I will never be able to give my son to the war of others this way...

Thanks for a beautiful and inspiring post.

cj Schlottman said...

Ames, This post made the hair on the back of my neck stand up - just before I started weeping. Well said, very well said.

Namaste..........cj

Jenny said...

Ames, this post made me cry. How can a vision of hell not change a life? I'm so sorry for your nephew. Would that war become a thing of nightmares and not true...brave young men like him would not be changed forever.

I'm sorry.

Thank you for sharing this.