Saturday, May 14, 2011

Saturday Centus #54~ The Comforter

What a crazy week we have been having,with Blogger having issues and making repairs. But there are worse things in this world to fret over.

I thought I would take a few minutes from painting the baseboards in my laundry room to try and crank out my contribution for Saturday Centus #54. 

I am shocked that my hubby even let me hold a paint brush after I dump a container of paint on the guest room carpet. Oh well, momma always said not to cry over spilled milk....or in this case paint.

As usual, the prompt is in blue : Hush little baby don’t you cry.”

now on to my contribution.......

  ~~~~~~~
As I came out of my safe room, the scene unfolding before me left my hair standing on end. My home was gone. The air was still and eerie. I struggled to get through the debris to find my neighbor. Dear God, please let her be okay!

I heard what sounded like whimpering but I wasn’t sure. I called out “Susan, Susan are you okay?”

When I finally got close to the sound I could see Susan’s legs sticking out from under a door. Her three year old daughter Emily was cradling Susan’s bleeding head in her lap and singing “Hush little baby don’t you cry.”
~~~~~~
Mother nature sure has been down right hard on a lot of unfortunate families across our United States. Let's do what we can for them, and keep them in our prayers too!
      and.....
Please remember to stop by and read other Saturday Centus stories over at Jenny Matlock's blog (off on my tangent). You won't be disappointed. You can get there by clicking here: http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/05/saturday-centus-hush-little-baby.html
 
Thanks for stopping by!~Ames

16 comments:

upinthecosmos said...

Ok, this kinda reminded me of the Wizard of Oz... LOL. Not to make light of those dealing with these things, it's just where the words brought my mind:-)

Bookie said...

Yes, this scene has been real to too many folks this year. Good job capturing it in words!

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

This is the perfect story to remind us how many people were affected by the tornadoes.

Judie said...

I have been in a tornado in Georgia, and have even outrun one on the freeway! When we lived in Memphis, an entire subdivision of half-million dollar homes was completely destroyed in just a few minutes. My experience with being in a tornado left a permanent mark on my brain. Whenever I am coming down with something, like a bad cold, or the flu, I always dream of tornadoes just before the symptoms hit.

Patti said...

This is especially poignant, since I have a cousin who lives in Tuscaloosa. She and her family are fine, but still...so many of their friends are not.

Blessings,
Patti

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

This was so poignant and relevant. Thanks for reminding us to help, and appreciate our blessings in this moment. It's all we've got.
Hugs to you.
xoRobyn

Sue said...

So many troubles from this year of crazy weather. This was a good reminder of people who need our thoughts and prayers.

Thanks.

=)

Deb said...

Tornadoes and now the floods. Mother nature can be fierce. I'm praying for them daily.

Be careful with that paint bucket!

cj Schlottman said...

Ames, This is heartbreaking, but it's laced with hope and love. The image of the 3 year old says it all. This is wonderful. Thanks.

Namaste..........cj

Porky said...

That turns the world upside down, showing a thing we can hope we never need face. A challenge, and one done very well.

Amanda said...

This made me tear up. That means well done!

Tina said...

love the idea of a safe room. shame we cant all have one for these disasters that keep happenin. grippin story though! n yes the blogger thing was a nightmare!

Nonna Beach said...

Great job Ames !

Our material posessions may be gone in a few seconds from nature's wrath but are replaceable, unlike all of our dear family and friends...a thoughtful reminder to keep praying and be grateful for our own comfort and blessings !!!

Rek said...

Great centus.....emotional and sad, but nature's fury leaves a lot of scars behind.

Fiauna said...

I found you via Saturday Centus. I love your story. Very poignant and relevant. Nice work!

Jenny said...

I swear I left a comment here. This little story gave me the shivers. You really captured how I imagine the aftermath would be.

Brilliant, Miss Ames!

Bravo! Bravo!