Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I've Waited Seven Years

When we built our house back in 2004, it was through four hurricanes. 

Charley
Charley-Initially a catagory 4 storm in August. I say initially because they fluctuate in intensity.

and

Francis
Frances- Initially a catagory 2 storm that stalled off the coast of Florida for two days dumping excessive amounts of rain on us in August.
and
Ivan
Ivan-Initially a catagory 5 storm in September. This one just couldn't make up it's mind. Oh Florida isn't wet enough let's circle back around and hit her one more time.

and
 
Jeanne

 Jeanne-Initially a catagory 3 storm in September, it too couldn't make up it's mind . Florida no...oops wait ...yes I think I want to hit Florida!

Did you ever hear that song by Keith Whitley...you know ...the "I'm No Stranger To The Rain" song?...
"To ride the wind and dance in a hurricane, I'm no stranger to the rain."
 
Well we Floridians were no strangers to the rain in 2004. We just about drowned down here!

back to my story....

That year, 2004, we were renting a condo while our house was being built. We had so much wind and rain that the condo roof blew off and the water from the second floor collapsed the ceiling of the first floor condo. Fortunately for us we weren't in it at the time the roof flew off.  My husband was staying with my father trying to keep him from blowing away and I was stuck at work.
 
We were then homeless. So, rather than wait on the tile we slapped down vinyl flooring  and moved in as quick as we could. That was seven years ago.
 
Finally, after seven years I am getting my kitchen, dining room, laundry, pantry and eat-in kitchen area tiled. I can't really say specifically why it took so long. Health issues? Money? Time?
 
anyway....
 
Yippee! Dang diddy dang di-dang di-dang diggy diggy !
 (I'm doing my happy dance here)
  

What a chore the prep work has been. Moving all the appliances, painting walls and baseboards. Moving a china cabinet, a hutch, two tables , and 10 chairs. I am exhausted and my back is killing me not to mention how worn out my hubby is. And, the girls don't understand stand what's going on. They are clingy and whiney too.

But, I'm excited! It's going to look so nice!

Yay! :)

That honey do list is getting shorter!

I'm ready for a hot bath now, a glass of wine and a good night sleep!

~Ames





10 comments:

Bookie said...

Your going to love it! But I understand about the aches and pain and tiresome stuff. We are painting the house and it is not going well at all...issues come up! Yesterday hubby fell off the ladder! Today, the paint is not right and we need to change...ah, can't wait until tomorrow.
You will so enjoy that floor when done, but be careful with that tile. It is a different living...don't drop a pickle jar! (I have.) Do let a child run on a wet floor as he can wreck some teeth. (Mine did.) But boy they last...hopefully through hurricanes!

Deb said...

I bet it's going to be gorgeous! I hope you got your well deserved good nights sleep.

That's crazy about the 4 hurricanes hitting y'all in one season. Thank goodness you weren't home when the roof fell in.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I am doing the happy dance with you! I know how hard all that work is also. So glad you finally are getting your floor! Enjoy the wine and hot bath.

Sue said...

Hurray! That is going to give you a new lease on life, for sure!

=)

Judie said...

When we did the kitchen, family-room and lr/dr, the tile was laid by Mexican tilers who had a cousin trying to become a Mariachi singer. They had a tape of him singing and they played it all day long. He was a horrible singer, but those guys were very family-oriented. Maybe they thought that if they listened to it over and over again, the singer would get better. Didn't happen.
It nearly but me in the state hospital, though.
Be prepared for tile and grout dust everywhere for weeks afterwards.
xoxo

JJ said...

I remember the weather very well. I'm still a little wet. We got hit several times.

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

It's your ahhh-hahhhh moment! Know you will enjoy it so much!
Blessings!!

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Congrats on the new floor and you'll like it even better after the hot bath and wine!!!

oldgreymare said...

Happy happy new tile floors dance. yay!
happy weekend...
xx
z

Jenny said...

Oh wow. This is gonna be gorgeous.