Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Alphabe~Thursday "E" is for Evanovich, Janet Evanovich


Janet Evanovich
Photo credit: Wikipedia
Back in 2004 we moved into a condo while building our new home. When it wasn’t raining, I’d hang out at the pool and read. That summer I read 17 books through the months of June and July. There wasn’t much else to do between working and constantly having “Come to Jesus” meetings with our building contractor. So I floated in the pool and read.

I read all kinds of books. I have them stacked everywhere. And I love to share books that I have read and liked. One day while at the pool I met my neighbor Connie. Connie is a well tanned elderly woman with big white hair and a raspy voice. Every sentenced that came from her mouth started with “Honey.” We had a pleasant conversation and she handed me a book and said “Honey, you’ve just got to read her!”

The book she handed me was titled “One for the Money” a Stephanie Plum Novel, and it was written by Janet Evanovich. The series is considered Romantic Adventure novels. Little did I know I would become hooked on Evanovich, and because Connie and I shared a love for all books written by Evanovich, we have remained friends to this day.

So my “E” offering for Alphabe~Thursday this week is about Evanovich, Janet Evanovich and her Stephanie Plum series. I love the way Janet writes. Her characters are funny, earthy, crazy, wild, sexy, daring, and embarrassing and oh “Honey you’ve just got to read her books!” Here is her website:

If you haven’t already read her books, Janet writes several different series, but for the sake of Alphabe~Thursday I am introducing you to her Stephanie Plum series. You can find them in the library and they just might turn out to be your favorite summer read. Not too heavy, light hearted and funny! I can't remember laughing so much! I am also including this series in my Library Geek category below my header.


STEPHANIE PLUM SERIES:


ONE FOR THE MONEY


TWO FOR THE DOUGH


THREE TO GET DEADLY


FOUR TO SCORE


HIGH FIVE


HOT SIX


SEVEN UP


HARD EIGHT


VISIONS OF SUGAR PLUMS


TO THE NINES


TEN BIG ONES


ELEVEN ON TOP


TWELVE SHARP


PLUM LOVIN'


LEAN MEAN THIRTEEN


PLUM LUCKY


FEARLESS FOURTEEN


PLUM SPOOKY


FINGER LICKIN' FIFTEEN


SIZZLING SIXTEEN


SMOKIN' SEVENTEEN



Here is a review of the first book “One for the Money.”


Photo credit: Amazon.com
Stephanie Plum is so smart, so honest, and so funny that her narrative charm could drive a documentary on termites. But this tough gal from New Jersey, an unemployed discount lingerie buyer, has a much more interesting story to tell: She has to say that her Miata has been repossessed and that she's so poor at the moment that she just drank her last bottle of beer for breakfast. She has to say that her only chance out of her present rut is her repugnant cousin Vinnie and his bail-bond business. She has to say that she blackmailed Vinnie into giving her a bail-bond recovery job worth $10,000 (for a murder suspect), even though she doesn't own a gun and has never apprehended a person in her life. And she has to say that the guy she has to get, Joe Morelli, is the same creep who charmed away her teenage virginity behind the pastry case in the Trenton bakery where she worked after school. ~Amazon.com review.

~~~~Please don’t forget to stop by Jenny Matlock’s blog (off on my tangent) and read all about the letter “E”. Without Jenny, none of this would be possible. You can get there by clicking on this link:
http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/05/alphabe-thursdays-letter-e.html


Enjoy! And thanks for stopping by!~Ames

17 comments:

JJ said...

Ames: I value your judgemnt. I will read her books and advertise them on my websites. Thanks for the tip.

from my wicked ways to turning a phrase said...

may have to check this out seeing as i read 2-3 books a week i may need to expand my author pool

Betty (picture circa 1951) said...

I think I'll check out One For The Money...especially since it's set in NJ and that's where I'm from originally. It sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Ames we are so alike! I almost wrote about Janet Evanovich for my E post also! I love the Stephanie Plum novels and have read everything but her latest...is it out yet or soon to be? One of my friends always buys it and I read it after her! I love to read also and like to share my favorite authors! hugs, Linda

Judie said...

Hahahaha! I am a little white-haired tan woman who floats around it the pool all summer long and reads!!!! I might have know that was you I've been talking to!

Sue said...

She is the favorite author of one of my good friends.

=)

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love these! They are as addicting as candy!

La said...

I love Janet Evanovich and the Stephanie Plum series is my favorite.

Deb said...

You make me want to read her books. I think I'll look for it the next time I'm out.

Ames said...

Thanks everyone! Her latest book "Smokin Seventeen" is due out June 21, 2011. Race ya to the bookstore! :)~Ames

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I will put her on my "to read" list.

I love your comment about Come to Jesus meetings with your contractor. I had many many of those and there are a few more in my future..

Can you tell me why they just don't get it done? Just get up in the morning, get in your truck and go to work!

arghhh...

lissa said...

have not heard of Evanovich but I might check out her Stephanie Plum series though I'm not big on series.

have a lovely day.

Gattina said...

I don't know her at all, maybe because her books are not translated into French or German and it's hard to get English books here in Brussels.

Jenny said...

I love her! Even my husband reads her. She looks like a fun person in person, too!

Thanks for an entertaining and engaging link!

I need to check out some of her latest. I've definitely missed a few!

A+

Cheryl D. said...

Her books all blend into each other. They have her bouncing between Morelli and Ranger. Her grandmother is obsessed with funerals. Every book is pretty much like every other one.

You know what? I don't care--I love the Stephanie Plum series too! June is always my favorite month because a new one comes out. I got into reading them when I had to travel a lot on business (pre-kid). I think I've been into them since around the year 2000.

Amanda said...

I was a (online) bookseller for several years and Evanovich was a big favorite among my customers. Have you tried Jennifer Crusie? She's awesome too.

Diann said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this series!!