Saturday, April 16, 2011

Saturday Centus # 50 Sunbeams~ A Review

Welcome to another Saturday Centus. This is week 50 and Jenny Matlock, from off on my tangent, has served up yet another shake-up! She has decided that we should review one of last week’s entries. Grrrooooan!


Disclaimer: I am not an Editor nor do I portray one on TV. I am participating in this meme to have fun and have no intentions of hurting anyone’s feelings. I apologize in advance if I do, ‘cause I luv ya all!


This week I have selected Claudia’s post from week #49 to review: http://claudiapage-bookie.blogspot.com/2011/04/saturday-centus-sunbeams.html  Her entry is included below her link and is titled “Sunbeams”. The words highlighted in blue within my critique are prompts taken from her story and are not included in the 100 word count.

Sunbeams

Jillian watched raindrops ramble down the window and felt as gray as the cloud-cluttered sky. Winter had been grueling with heavy snows, Ren’s cut in work hours, and the colicky baby.


Aunt Tillie would have some wit to stamp out the depression she was sure. She was always spouting things like “stitch in time”, “eggs in one basket” and such. Oh yeah, she’d say, “April showers bring May flowers”. Well, Jillian thought, I wish something would bloom in my life.


Then she noticed a purple crocus in the yard, heard laughter coming from the crib, and felt mental sunbeams.
                                            ~~~~~
and now….on to my review………

The author has provided us with a glimpse into Jillian’s depressed state. Ren’s cut in work hours signifies a financial stress. The picture she has painted of a long and grueling winter adds to the pent up anxiety one might feel with cabin fever that is exacerbated by the exhaustion of caring for the colicky baby.


The author clearly describes Jillian’s mood and provides the readers with examples of her thought process while trying to overcome her depression. It is then that Jillian has an epiphany when she sees the purple crocus blooming and hears the most wonderful sound of laughter coming from the crib, her mental sunbeams.


The author’s message? Not all is bleak and gloomy.


~~~~~~~

Please stop by Jenny's blog (off on my tangent) and check out some reviews of last week's stories crafted by crafty people. You can get there by clicking here:
http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/04/saturday-centus-shake-em-up-up-up.html


~Ames


13 comments:

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

That's a very thoughtful, detailed review, Ames. I really liked Claudia's post too.
Be well.
xoRobyn

Karen S. said...

I love all that is not bleak and gloomy...A + to your mastering of a fine review worthy of great writing! Good job!

jfb57 said...

A brilliant post & an excellent review! I really liked them as a package! Well done ladies!

Sue said...

Ames. These reviews (yours included) are right-on. You're very good at this!

And I enjoyed Claudia's story, too.

=)

Dazee Dreamer said...

wow, you did a great job. I found this weeks "job" to be rather a difficult one.

Judie said...

Well written, Ames. I forgot to put a link in mine, but I am going to do that right now!
xoxo

Jo said...

Wonderfully written Ames ... I am passing this week, i just don't have the courage to review my own stuff, or ability to single out someone to review!

Nonna Beach said...

Very well done ! I actually took the story at face value and didn't think too deeply about the symbolism contained in it, except for the crocus flowers. Thank you for adding another dimension to a great story !

Tgoette said...

Ames, a masterful review of Claudia's story! Clearly you have had extensive reviewing experience as your review was just awesome! Great job!

Bookie said...

What a great review of my little words, Ames! I just couldn't get time to play today! Thanks for choosing me!You did a swell job!

jeff campbell said...

Wonderful post and a fitting review...interesting how many took us on the short journey from sadness to hope...Peace and blessings

Anna said...

Great review. I agree with your interpretation. She has written a nice text with hope in it.
Best wishes,
Anna
Anna's SC-48-49-50

Jenny said...

Bravo! Bravo, brave lady! I know that many did not like this exercise, but I find it fascinating to re-read the stories with anothers viewpoint in my eyes. It makes me so much more aware of how reviewers 'skew' our perception of what we read. Wow. LOVED this!