Saturday, April 9, 2011

Saturday Centus # 49~ Lack of Concern Kills Planet

Saturday seems to roll around fast. The older I get, the faster they come. I better sit up and pay attention to what's going on around me. Before you know it, Saturdays will be whizzing by me until there are none.

Was that deep? I must be in need of a nap.

This Saturday, Jenny has turned back down the road to normalcy. But I thought..."Why be normal?"

So, with that in mind, I have taken what can be construed as a normally bright and cheery saying in a  different direction. This week's prompt "April showers bring May flowers" is in bold pink.

and now on to my contribution....
~~~~~

“What is it? Can we eat it?” asked Ollie

“I wouldn’t.” Myron said in a matter of fact tone.

“Is it a flower?” asked Ollie

“Maybe it’s from one of those genetically enhanced seeds.” Myron looked around at the apocalyptic devastation.

“Well you know that old saying…April showers bring May flowers!” Chimed Ollie.

“I hardly think acid rain constitutes an April shower. Keep walking!” Myron grumbled.

“I’m hungry!” Ollie whined as he rubbed his concave stomach. “Where are we going? I hope it isn’t much further, my feet hurt. I wish it was 2011 again.”

“You can’t undo greed, once everything’s already gone. Keep walking!”

~~~~

Don't forget to stop by and check out some very creative stories over at Jenny's blog (off on my tangent). You can cyber hop by clicking here:
http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/04/saturday-centus-april-showers.html
~Ames

17 comments:

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

So realistic. I love that you attached April showers to acid rain. This is nicely eerie.
Be well, Ames.
xoRobyn

Debra Ann Elliott said...

I really enjoyed this true to life piece. Thanks for stopping by Writing with Debra.

Christine said...

Brings visions of the movie the Road to me, familiar sayings may be all that we have left one day.

Nonna Beach said...

Very well written ! You are really good at conversation...so natural !!!

Judie said...

Rod came home soaked to the skin! I was nice and warm in my recliner with my dog children. Great post, Ames!!!

Sue said...

Well done, Ames! I agree with Robyn about the acid rain line. It's a good one.

=)

Porky said...

Great writing. The treatment of the flower was the cleverest bit of all for me.

Madge said...

Great idea, acid rain and food you can't eat. New twist on the dust bowl.

ain't for city gals said...

Ames,...don't give up on your dream of a little trailer....they are so much fun and easy to pull...hope your husband stays healthy and you have some good camping time ahead!

EG Wow said...

Scary and I fear very close to a future truth...maybe not so far into the future, actually.

Karen S. said...

A slice of life bring forth! Awesome!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I served acid rain to JDaniel just last week.

Tina said...

uw i love a fururistic disaster story. they are my fave!

Jo said...

loved the acid rain twist to your story ... Ames, you always have something interesting to say!

Rekha said...

Sorry I am late, a tad unwell...loved this despite its grim foretelling....with radiation doing the rounds now, can acid rain be far away? :)

cj Schlottman said...

You really touched a nerve with this little story. Who is to say it's not far off the mark? With well crafted words you took us into a future that is not out of the realm of possibility. Great centus!

Namaste...........cj

Jenny said...

Oooh, this gave me a little shiver. This felt believable and scary.

Cool writing Miss Ames!

I'm a fan!