Thursday, April 21, 2011

New Paint

My dear husband painted our guest room yesterday. Gone is the builder grade white. Hello Sherwin-Williams Meander Blue. The picture is a little crooked but you get the jest.


I actually pulled the color from my Florida Highwaymen paintings. I have three Florida Highwaymen paintings, these are the two that I have hanging in the guest room. They were painted by Sam Newton. If you have never heard of the Highwaymen paintings , here is a link for you to look at: http://www.floridahighwaymenpaintings.com/


The one above the bed is by Sam Newton. Sam actually asked me what I wanted him to paint and I told him either the river or the beach. He brought me this painting of the river at my job, oh I guess about about 12 years ago maybe. I can't remember. Anyway, how I met him was through an ex-daughter-in-law who owned an antique shop. 

The painting below was my first Highwaymen painting. My husband bought it for me from my daughter-in-law's shop. He paid $250.00 for it back then. It's probably worth 10 times that now. It is quite large. The one hanging over the bed was the last one I bought myself directly from Sam and I paid $150.00 for it and it too is estimated to be about 10 times the original price as well.

 See here is the uniqueness about these paintings. They were painted on anything they could find. Gypsum wallboard most likely and then trimmed in baseboards or crown moulding. The paint was anything they could find, and most painted using a pallette knife. They would drive around to local business' and sell them from the trunks of their cars. Well when I first encountered a Highwaymen I didn't have extra money on hand to buy a painting from one. Back in those days it was just as hand-to-mouth for me as it was for him. With time all things change. Wages go up the longer you stay on the job, well at least it did for me, and so did the price of their paintings. They call  it appreciation. And I appreciate the talent of these men and woman, as they depict my Florida. Most people think they are guady and if they have one they reframe them. To do so takes away from it's value. I like them just as they are.

Speaking of paint. My dear friend and yours, Jenny Matlock, sent me this sample of Valspar paint. The color is Pink Flower in honor of my little grandaughter. Thank you Miss Jenny!

And speaking of flowers, here is my first Lily this year. Well, my first Lily is actually my new grandaughter, Lily. So this flower is in honor of her.


~Ames

8 comments:

Sue said...

The paintings are great, and I love the wall color, too.

=)

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

The history of your paintings is so interesting. They make the perfect inspiration for your new paint color. Good choice!!!

Deb said...

I love how they have become collectible and the history is interesting. Lucky girl to have three of your own. Great job to the hubby for the painting!

I just noticed that you put my button on your sidebar and it made me smile. Thank you!

That pink Lily is a beauty. I think the big freeze killed mine. Sadly, they didn't come up this year.

I got the photo you sent me. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

JJ said...

Ames: You are a Romantic. You should have been born in the 19th century.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Ames I love that color blue and your paintings! I've not heard of the Highwaymen but will check it out. I love this kind of art. How sweet of Miss Jenny to send you that pink paint! I got a sample but choose some whites! boring! lol. Love your Lily and your Lily in your yard! hugs, Linda

Bookie said...

Your room is beautiful...it looks so peaceful, full of restorive rest in the shade of ocean waves...

Ms. Bake-it said...

Hello Ames,

I love your Highwaymen paintings! I agree with you about loving the paintings just the way they are. I do not have any of them, but a friend of mine does.

~ Tracy

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

The color of the room is beautiful...restful & soothing...easy to the eyes. Your hubby did a great job painting (my hubby is painting each room...the builder's grade cream is perfect like a primer! :o)

Thanks for linking to the Highwaymen site...that is so neat!

And what a pretty lily for your precious Lily :o)

Blessings & Aloha!
Thank you for visiting and for your kind comment! :o)