Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Library Geek

Hi all. I am starting a new post category titled The Library Geek. I have decided to start this ongoing post to share a few books that I have "Already Read", or that are on my "To Read" list. I will also start a stand alone page for the title and author information for you if you are interested in checking these books out of your local library or if you are looking to purchase them to add to your own library.



 

 The first author I want to share with you is one of my favorites, Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. In 1928, Rawlings purchased a 72 acre orange grove outside of Hawthorne, Florida in a hamlet called Cross Creek. Her homestead in Cross Creek is now a Historic State Park. http://www.floridastateparks.org/marjoriekinnanrawlings/ 
It's worth the trip there to see this quaint and peaceful place. I have been there several times and I would love to live there myself. There is a certain romanticism surrounding her life in Cross Creek, and the connection she had with her rural neighbors inspired the characters in several of her books.

If you were to pick one book to start reading, I would suggest you start with The Yearling. This was also made into a movie in 1946, starring Gregory Peck as Ezra Baxter, Jane Wyman as Ora Baxter, and Claude Jarman, Jr. as Jody. The story also takes place in the backwoods of Florida. I suggest reading the book before watching the movie.

Next I would read her books in order by date published, if you can still find them in print. I happen to own several first editions that were given to me by a friend of Rawlings, Alice Kirkland. Ms Alice used to walk with Rawlings on the beach at Cresent Beach, Florida when they both had summer cottages there.

As a side note, Marjorie stayed extensively at the Castle, a mansion turned hotel, and is now the Riplyey's Believe it or Not  Odditorium in St. Augustine, Florida. If you ever get the chance to go there, take the time to visulize the Odditorium as a hotel that she stayed in with her first husband, Charles Rawlings.  It's Moorish Revival style architecture is very opulent.

A few of her books:
Cross Creek (1942)~also as a movie
When The Whippoorwill (1940)
The Yearling (1938)~earned her the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1939
Golden Apples (1935)
South Moon Under (1933)
Jacob's Ladder (1950)
Gal Young Un (1932)
The Sojourner (1953)
The Secret River (1955)

Cross Creek~The Movie
Starring: Mary Steenburgen, Rip Torn, Peter Coyote, Alfre Woodard and Dana Hill. One of my favorite movies. You will most certainly enjoy it. If you have read the books and viewed the movies, please click on The Library Geek page just under my header and leave a comment. I'd love to know what you think.~Ames



4-14-2011: I am reposting and linking to Jenny Matlock's blog (off on my tangent). You can get there by clicking here:

13 comments:

Deb said...

I like the new category title. Very cute. These books sound like they would be very interesting.

oneoldcowgirl said...

I'm beginning to really like women from Florida. I love the outfit she is wearing in the picture. I think I've read The Yearling but the can't remember it at the moment. It's too cool to have first editions with a history like that. I love this post, learning about authors is always fun.

Jenny said...

Okay, yeah, this is cool, but where is the g-baby news? arrrggghhh.

dogsmom said...

What a great way to keep track and share talk of good books. I remember reading the yearling way back when.

Cathy Kennedy said...

The Library Geek...that's cool! Visiting you from Alphabe-Thursday. Already follow...

Cathy Kennedy, Children's Author
The Tale of Ole Green Eyes

Check out…
Get into the blog Hop!

Debra Ann Elliott said...

Great post! Stopping by from Alphabe-Thursday

Keri said...

I love learning the backstory on authors. I read the Yearling a long time ago. Thanks for sharing!

Sue said...

I need to rediscover this author. All I've ever read is The Yearling.

Thanks!

=)

Tracy said...

what a great idea to give people ideas of books to read I will be kindling the yearling

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I love love love Marjorie Rawlings and The Yearling is my favorite book of hers...

I need to do a reread of her this summer!

Thanks for reminding me...

NatureGirl said...

How great! I love to share books. And I love the story behind the books and authors. Thanks for sharing...I gotta get to the library...Happy AlphabetSoup!

Judie said...

I could see The Yearling over and over again! What a great post!!!!

Jenny said...

I've not read her as an author. I think I need to add to her to my summer reading list.

Thanks for a great link for Alphabet Soup.

I am really enjoying the variety this week.

A+