Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Alphabe~Thursday "A" is for Alzheimer's

It's Alphabe~Thursday over at Jenny Matlock's blog (off on my tangent). This week is the beginning of round three and we start off with the letter "A".

now on to my contribution......
~~~~~
Sadness takes me down a road; I cannot remember how I got there.

There is nothing special to see, this road I am on.

Pebbles and dirt so dry, it is parched and void of life and joy.

No stately trees swaying to the earth’s sweet symphony.

No birds chirping in harmony that I might recognize their glee.

No flowers stretching their stems to the sky, bursting forth with joy.

No green grass twirling with the wind, twirling and twirling ever gracefully twirling.

No breeze to touch my face, to kiss me with its coolness.

No sweetness to breathe in, that I may sample life’s perfume.

How do I get off this road, the road of unknown?

Do I go back the way I came, down this same desolate path I have already been down?

Do I have to travel through this void where I become lost again?

Do I?

How do I get back to the light and joy?

Do I turn somewhere?

Or does it come back to me in time?

I can’t remember.

Please don't forget to stop by Jenny's blog and check out some crafty stories all about the letter "A". You can get there by clicking here: http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/04/alphabe-thursday-letter.html


I write this because my dear old friend is starting to slip away from me. I called her with the annual Easter dinner invitation and she abruptly informed me that she never comes to my house for Easter dinner.......the picture of her sitting in the rocking chair on my front porch with all my grandsons standing around her with their smiles and Easter baskets slips down from my hand. I am sad.~Ames

24 comments:

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I lost my sweet mother last year to this horrid disease. When I last saw her, she asked me my name and when I answered, she said "Oh, that name will be easy to remember, I have a daughter that is named that."

hugs to you....

jfb57 said...

This is such a wonderful post & one that will mean a lot to so many. This terrible disease is one all of us fear I think as we move into our senior time on earth.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

What a heartfelt poem...so sorry to hear that your friend has this in her life...and that those that love her are consequently touched by this too.

Blessings & Aloha!

Jo said...

Oh!...so sad ~sigh~.This is so scary,but I really felt the care you put into every line.
My heart is full to overflowing.
My thoughts and prayers for those that have family and friends suffering with this horrible disease,I hope your friend comes round.
~Jo
Lazy on Loblolly

Jo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ms. Bake-it said...

Such a terrible disease. I am sorry you are experiencing this with your friend. Even though she does not remember, take comfort in your memories of your times together.

Hugs,
Tracy

Jo said...

Hey!...I'm had to delete that post, I was trying to tell you I'm your newest follower,forgive me my fingers don't want to act right this evening.
Hugs
~Jo

Terra said...

Oh wow, I have to tell that until I read your commentary I thought this could have been written about me - now that I know it is a different situation it is EVEN BETTER...this could be a song...set to music and so many could relate on their own levels...This is beautiful.

Bookie said...

Such a sad A, Ames! You expressed it well and we could all feel the hurt. There are so many ways to loose people besides death itself...most are worse than.....

Judie said...

My sweet friend, you have made me cry. What a cruel disease it is! We have had many friends die of this in the last several years. There, but for the grace of God, go I. It could still happen, though.
xoxo

criticalcrass said...

i am so sorry about your friend. both of my father's parents had this, and i fear he is developing it, as well. it's hideous thing, that. i wish like heck it didn't exist.

Viki said...

I'm so sorry for your friend and you. I sometimes wonder who it is harder on the person with the Alzheimer's or the people watching it happen to the person they care about.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Ames I am so sorry. This is such an unforgiving disease! hugs, Linda

Donnie said...

I lost my mother to Alzheimer's and it is so sad to lose someone before they have left this earth. My heart is so sad now. Take care {{Hugs}}

JJ said...

Ames: I lost my mom to Alzheimer's. I thank God for my sister, who had to bear the brunt of it. There are no adequate words.

edenhills said...

I am so sorry to hear this. It's never easy to lose someone, but to lose them before they are gone seems especially unfair.

Teresa

Deb said...

I'm sorry you had to experience this kind of loss. Just remember the times you shared together. Such a beautiful post/poem. So sorry...

Jackie said...

It's sad to hear that your friend is forgetting these kinds of memories . Nice poem

Lola said...

A great post about a dreadful disease.

XOXO Lola:)

Sue said...

I am sad, too. And it made me sad to read your lovely poem.

Alzheimers is so hard.

"/

Mari's World said...

Oh I am so sad to read that your friend is slipping away from you it must be so terribly hard. I thought that piece was beautiful.
Happy Easter

Jingle said...

beautiful thoughts.

let go, no matter how hard,

engage in encouraging activities, smile a lot.

you will survive and shine and feel happy again.

from my wicked ways to turning a phrase said...

hhttp://frommywickedwaystoturningaphrase.blogspot.com/2011/04/alphathursday.htmli sorry I'm new to the group and posted late.very touching, my grandpa had it and now my grandma does so it touched me very much thank you if you'd like to read mine please go to link above.

Jenny said...

Ames, it seems we are having an epidemic of this horrifying disease.

You captured emotions so poignantly in this. It frightens me.

I'm sorry you are living through this with a friend.

Sending you a hug and a prayer along with your...

A+