Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Alphabe~Thursday "B" is for Bok Tower


Photo credit: Wikipedia

Take a Sunday drive over to the center of the State of Florida between Orlando and Tampa and you will find the beautiful Bok Tower Gardens, a jewel in the middle of my State.

What is in Bok Tower?

A carillon.

What is a carillon you may ask?

Photo credit: Wikipedia

Photo credit: Wikipedia

 
It’s an instrument made up of various bells connected to what looks like a keyboard and is played by someone called a carillonneur. That’s as simple as I can explain it.

To listen to the carillon playing click here: http://boktowergardens.org/the-tower/the-carillon/
 
 

Photo credit: Wikipedia

Bok Tower was built on one of the highest elevations in Florida, Iron Mountain, 295 above sea level.

The Gardens were designed by Fredrick Law Olmstead Jr., son of the famed Fredrick Law Olmstead who designed Central Park, the Biltmore Estate grounds, and many other notable places.

My husband and I love spending the day on the grounds of Bok Tower. One time we purchased a bag of peanuts that the Garden sells to feed the squirrels. My husband was squatting down feeding the squirrels that came right up to him and took peanuts right out of his hand. I was sitting on a bench watching him when we both noticed a big fat shiny black rat coming out from under the ferns. My husband told the rat he could have a peanut too and the rat walked right over to my husband and took the peanut right from his hand and ran back to his sanctuary under the ferns. He was hungry too!

This “B” is from my beautiful State of Florida.

Bok Tower, an enchanting place to visit!

~Ames

Please stop by Jenny Matlock's blog (off on my tangent) and check out some fantastic stories about the letter "B" by clicking here:

http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/04/alphabe-thursdays-letter-b.html

13 comments:

Judie said...

I LOVE Bok Tower! I have actually visited it. Great post!!!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

Glad the rat only wanted peanuts!

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

I've never heard of Bok Tower. Thanks for the tour and history!!!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

What a great B post! I love the look of this place! Feeding the squirrels is fun...rats? not so much! hugs, Linda

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

So I lived in So Fla for 15 years and never know about Bok Tower.

I may have to visit it next time I go see my family in Florida!

Sue said...

I would love to visit there. The sound of the carillon is really cool, too.

=)

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

The pictures are beautiful. I'm not sure why they carillon sound wouldn't play for me. It sounds like it's calming enough to tame the rodents around there.

Thanks for your sweet comment and hugs back to you.
xoRobyn

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Your Bok Tower reminded me of the tower on the UC Berkeley campus in Berkeley (across the bay from San Francisco) that I had to go look it up. Similar, but yours is more detailed. I learned that the Olmstead brothers designed part of the campus. I do know that Frederick Law Olmstead created Golden Gate Park in SF. I like how our world connects.

hip-chick said...

I have never heard of that before. Pretty cool and the bells are lovely also.

Deb said...

I didn't know about the Bok tower or the gardens. The bells are beautiful. I spent a couple of weeks in Lake Mary working once but didn't get to take in any sights. I've also been to West Palm Beach, St. Pete, Ft. Lauderdale and up and down the panhandle. Thanks for the tour.

edenhills said...

I always loved listening to the carillon at Iowa State University. Such a beautiful sound. You certainly have shown how beautiful your state is!

Teresa

Jenny said...

I love carillon's. What a beautiful place. I bet this is absolutely enchanting at sunset.

I am going to imagine myself there and let the beautiful sound of those bells wash over my heart.

Thanks for a lovely link this week, Miss Ames!

A+

Esther Joy said...

I hadn't heard of Bok Tower, but if it's not raining there, I'd love to visit. We have had TOOOO much rain this week. In one 24 hour period we had 14 inches!