Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sticker Shock!


Today was grocery day.

I asked my husband to take me.

I had a list.

He said "I don’t think we brought in enough recycled bags!"

He went back to the car for more.

The check out girl asked "How long will these groceries last you?"

I said "About 4 weeks."

I would still have to come back for milk or bread etc. in between.

Total bill? $304.00

Look on husband's face?


Priceless!

We pushed two carts to the car.

He put them all away when we got home.

I did the math for him.

$304.00 divided by 4 weeks? =$76.00 per week.

$76.00 divided by 21 meals? =$3.62 (rounded up)

Feeding 2 people for $3.62 a meal? = $1.81 a meal per person

Breakfast out this morning? $21.00

$304.00 is a lot easier to swallow now.
Sometimes they need a reality check. :)

~Ames

6 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Good job on the grocery shopping and the breakdown! It is so much cheaper to eat at home then out that is for sure!

Kat said...

I detest grocery shopping, it seems that every time I go the prices have shot up again. That being said, still cheaper than eating out. Loved the way you explained it to the hubby. And I think all husbands should help with the shopping once in a while, it is a reality check! Kat

Lisa H. said...

Thanks for the math. I keep forgetting to put the shopping bill into perspective.

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

Great job putting it into perspective, Ames. Plus, almost everything made at home is better!

Jenny said...

Love your perspective here! I'm going to use this on my husband next time he has a hissy.

oneoldcowgirl said...

I'm going to show mine your math. Good job.