Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Alphabe~Thursday "U" is for Renting a U-Haul



I’m sitting here forcing myself to watch a TV show with my husband. The show is called Hoarders. If you haven’t ever seen this show, it is about people that live with things they can’t part with. The stuff accumulates over time and consumes them and their houses.

I usually try to find something more productive to do while he watches this show, like laundry, because it disturbs me to watch it. But today I am watching it with him, and I am appalled at how these hoarders can live in such filth.


I know hoarders have issues to work out but just watching the show makes me start to feel like we have too much junk stuff in our house. I find myself desperately wanting to go out and rent a U-Haul, clear everything out of the house, and become a minimalist. Nothing but the bare essentials!


When I started thinking about it even harder, I began to realize that most of the stuff in our house is stuff I brought into the house, not my husband. I am starting to feel a bit closed in. And maybe a little guilty. I know I am not a hoarder, but do I really need that sixth ceramic rooster or another book? I haven’t read that last three I brought home. Or even another dust catcher?


Did you know women are natural hunters and gatherers? They go out and forage for food and find things to bring back to their nest to make it homier.


Women are nesters.


Men don’t do that do they?


I need to start applying the Pioneer motto to my everyday life strategy “Fix it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.”


And I need to keep asking myself “Do I really need this or do I just want this?


I need a do over!


We get do over’s don’t we?


So maybe I’ll rent a little U-Haul, clean out my house, and have a warehouse sale. Yes a U-haul, that's what I need!


Then afterwards I can go shopping for more stuff.


Just kidding!


~Ames


Hey, why don't U-haul yourself over to Jenny Matlock's blog (off on my tangent) and check out some crafty stories about the letter "U" by clicking here:
http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/03/alphabe-thursdays-letter-u.html

20 comments:

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I totally need to purge too.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

But... I-need-all-of-my-kitchen-toys... I do know what you're saying though:@)

Judie said...

I really did think about doing U-Haul, because I was forced to clean out my studio by Rod. Even though he never even opened the door and looked inside, he knew that it looked like a hoarder's nesting place. It was difficult from the get-go, and I still am not through!!!

Jackie said...

That show disturbs me too . I don't understand it . I've only met a few people in my life who were like that and I couldn't even walk around , it's totally disgusting to me . Just like we need to breathe , I honestly think a House feels the same way . It needs to breathe too ! U-Haul is a great choice for Alphabe Thursday , good job Ames . Have a nice rest of the week

Wanda Metcalf said...

That show is so hard to watch I agree. But it's not just stuff. Like you say.... I have have a lot of stuff maybe I should have a sale. Noooo they have pizza boxes from 1967 with pizza still in it!!!! creepys ~

good post!

Jo said...

oh men do do that ... i've know a hoarder ... he lives just down the street ... but he doesn't go and buy stuff like most women do, he roots through garbage and bins and stuff to drag home ... he's feathering a very very messy nest.

Kat said...

I've only the seen the show a couple of times, but I just can't watch it, it makes my skin crawl. When my MIL passed, my husband and his brother had to clean out her house. She wasn't a hoarder like the people on this show , but she also never threw anything out.
It took them almost three weeks to go through everything. When he came home, we had a purge! Kat

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

U make a lot sense!!!

Deb said...

That show is crazy, it's like watching a train wreck. I know I shouldn't watch but I can't take my eyes off of it.

I'm supposed to be purging for a garage sale right now, instead I'm reading blogs.

Tracy said...

I need to shift a load of un needed junk. Will look at have a car boot sale in spring have started filling boxes

CollectIn Texas Gal said...

Here's my motto..."Use It or Lose It"...therefore, I find a USE for EVERTHING I 'Gather for My NEST"! There, problem solved...Feeling better? Thought you might, and I've saved you enough money on UHaul rental to go out and feather your nest a bit more! One more thing....don't watch that show....go to Goodwill instead!

Cheryl D. said...

I've never seen that show, but I suspect my house could be on it. Yikes!

EG Wow said...

I don't watch that show but I do know someone who hoards and it is truly a terrible thing to watch. Apparently she cannot help herself. She needs help.

Donnie said...

I watched that til they got really gross but every time I did I cleaned out something. I don't collect anything so that helps me out. Cute post.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

So, I am actually pretty good about being selective as far as bringing things in my home that I will have to take care of (books, especially cookbooks, don't count). My boyfriend, however, is the ultimate collector of all things useless. He has more stuff than anyone I know!

Sue said...

I think one of my sisters is something of a hoarder. The show is pretty interesting, I think.

I guess most of us have a little bit of the hoarder in us.

=)

Vicki aka Jake said...

I've moved so many times in my life, and had to purge to pack everything in the U hauls:) But I've always told my kids I won't be leaving them any money...they can fight over my stuff..HAHA
Enjoy your purging..

RNSANE said...

I have to move by the end of May from a home I've rented for 13 years...because of budget cuts which ended my 21 year nursing job for the city and county of San Francisco. It's ben so difficult for me - iwt an income drop of $100,000 a year in my retirement! I am definitely purging things, very sadly, that's for sure.

Jenny said...

Ames, this was really cute! I say, 'bring the u-haul over here with all the cool antiques and stuff' and then you can haul all my non-cool stuff away!

That show creeps me out! Hoarders are scary.

I would, however, like to find enough money to hoard. I wonder how that can happen?

Thanks for a fun stop today on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's letter "U".

U are always cool!

A+

Jingle said...

vacation time, uh?

lovely take on U.
Happy Weekend.