Thursday, February 24, 2011

Whittling Away At Our Existence


Space Shuttle Discovery sits on the launch pad. Photo credit Associated Press
 Well this is the last Shuttle launch for Discovery and I am sad. Just two more Shuttle launches scheduled. One more for Space Shuttle Endeavour on April 19th and one for Space Shuttle Atlantis on June 28th.

Some of you may say it is necessary, a waste of money, and a misappropriation of tax dollars. I cannot argue with you on any of it. But it has been a way of life for me and the people that live and die in my small town. Things will not be the same around here. Many of our friends have lost their jobs and homes, and businesses are closing left and right monthly. Not that there was a lot here to begin with, but it’s beginning to look like a ghost town here.

Some say leave. I cannot. It is my home. I was born and raised here, my family is buried here, my child and grandchildren were born here, and I will die here. This place is my roots and I am becoming parched.

So, this morning we decided to get up early and do breakfast out before the mad rush. Boy was that a joke. It’s 8:30 in the morning and you would have thought the circus came to town. People in RV’s and cars parked everywhere. Tents and lawn chairs everywhere. People came into the coffee shop buying $2.00 coffee’s just to use the bathroom, and the launch isn’t until 4:50 this afternoon. That’s crazy!
The traffic was so bad, but we didn’t care. We probably won’t see this kind of congestion for another decade. We just hope our little town will make some money and perhaps prolong the inevitable for a little while longer.

I’ll miss the giant contrail against the bright blue sky, the rumbling of the earth beneath my feet, the rattle of my windows and dishes accompanied by car alarms going off and dogs howling. Who knows, maybe I’ll howl too! ~Ames

1 comment:

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

I applaud your loyalty, Ames. I especially like the descriptions in your last paragraph.

PS I missed you too. It's good to be back. xo