Saturday, February 5, 2011

Saturday Centus #40 ~To Spit or Swallow. That is the Question

Hey all. It's Saturday and that means it's time for Jenny Matlock's Saturday Centus. This week is a prompt by yours truly and is bold: It was growing bigger by the minute. Just remember, you can only use up to 100 words (not including the prompt) and No pictures are allowed.

Don't hate me too much. Just have fun with it. But please, please, please be sure to drop by Jenny's blog (off on my tangent) and check out everyone's creative entries by clicking here:
http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/02/saturday-centus-it-was-growing-bigger.html

now on to my contribution.....
~~~

Our daughter –in-law wanted to host this year’s Thanksgiving dinner. After hosting it for years, I figured I was way over due for a break.


We were so proud of her. She made everything.

There was just one tiny little piece of information she neglected to mention, and I realized it as soon as I took a bite of the Turkey. It was growing bigger by the minute in my mouth and there was nothing to do but swallow. I’d already said grace.

My daughter-in-law is a Vegan.

Looking back I now realize she only ate the veggies last Thanksgiving.

~Ames

22 comments:

elysabeth said...

I'm confused - lol - what grew bigger? the turkey? the tofu? the what? At first when I saw your title, I was thinking this was an X-rated posting but when I came to your blog, realized it couldn't even go the direction I thought originally. So is this a true story? It was fun though - E :)

------------------
Elysabeth Eldering
Author of the Junior Geography Detective Squad, 50-state, mystery, trivia series

Where will the adventure take you next?

http://jgdsseries.blogspot.com
http://jgdsseries.weebly.com

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Oh no, did she not realize it needs to be cooked? I hope your tummy's recovered. This was a great, fun prompt, Ames. Your contribution was amusing, as always.
xoRobyn

Judie said...

Hmmmm. To spit or swallow. Well, you sure had us fooled! Great take on the prompt.

Kat said...

Tofu turkey. That is just NOT right! This made me smile. And explains why I insist on cooking Thanksgiving dinner and will continue to do so until you pry the baster out of my cold, dead hand :) Great take on the prompt (and it was a fun prompt!) Kat

Cherie said...

Ohhhhh my worst nightmare! Definately spit!! Ha Ha
I hope this didn't really happen. Great job!

Bookie said...

Oh, it must have been a VERY unusual Thanksgiving dinner!

jeff campbell said...

Tofurkey...too fun ;-) Peace and blessings

Viki said...

Oh no that would be terrible. My son's girlfriend is vegetarian. I hope if they marry, we never have a Thanksgiving like that LOL. I loved your prompt. I think people are having a lot of great takes on it.

Koby said...

Ewwww...yuck (I hate turkey) but I loved your story and your prompt!

Dazee Dreamer said...

hahahaha. too freaking funny.

Sue said...

Spit, spit, spit!

For sure!!

=)

Deborah said...

Aaw, you've got to swallow :o)

Karen S. said...

Oh No! you can only eat the real stuff not the pretend to be turkey what a silly idea she had like for the rest of the family...! Bet the other stuff was yummy though!

LEAT said...

A big swig of wine to wash it down!! The 'neglected to mention' idea is very interesting book-ended against the 'looking back', and perhaps a wink to the fact that Mums and daughters-in-law can sometimes have difficult times understanding each other? My friend's sis-in-law is vegan, and she always has interesting family gathering stories to tell!

Tina said...

haha i no what a surprise for the taste buds there!

Rekha said...

Loved this...was it undercooked or dressed up to resemble a turkey?...a Thanksgiving to remember...
I am a vegetarian and thankfully don't have Thanksgiving to worry about. :D Thanks for the prompt...was different and fun to work with. Far too many thanks out here...

Poetic Justice said...

That title had me going!!!
Wonderful use of the prompt Ames, very funny.
Loved it!
~Michelle

Nonna Beach said...

Ewwwww...turkey tofu ! Good job !
I'm really feelin' this one...my daughter-in-law is also a Vegan...politely tolerates our love of real meats !

gaelikaa said...

Vegetarian turkey! I guess it's possible.

Anna said...

Oh my! Why would she want the turkey to be booby-traped! Because it was meat?? A vegan revenge???
Well done.
Best wishes,
Anna
Anna's SC week 40 '...growing bigger...'

Anna said...

I almost forgot to say that I love the prompt!
I could have written several centus texts from it, but haven't had the time. I'm just glad that I can get some comments in here!
Best wishes,
Anna
Anna's SC week 40 '...growing bigger...'

Jenny said...

Oh no! A tofurkey!

Accckkk!!!!

Gag!

What fun!

Such a clever use of this prompt.