Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Alphabe~Thursday "T" is for Fire Triangle or Tetrahedron

Hi everyone. It’s Thursday. Time for Alphabe~Thursday over at Jenny Matlock’s blog (off on my tangent). This week I had to reach down deep in my "bag of stuff I might need to know later" to find a post. I’ve got a lot of that stuff stored in there and here’s one for this week’s letter "T"

"T" stands for Fire Triangle or Tetrahedron.

Heat, Fuel, Oxygen and Chemical Reaction

Have I already lost ya??


In the world of the Fire Science, this triangle is called a Fire Tetrahedron and it represents the four components that make fire.

Basically the first three components were necessary for burning to take place and it was termed the "fire triangle." Since then they have included chemical reaction which starts getting too in-depth for this post so I will just say that we will do the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) method and only talk about three of the components. I could add a 5th side myself for "Stupidity of others actions" but then it would be a 5-sided Polygon and not a 4 sided tetrahedron.

But if you must know…


Chemical Reaction: Is a process where the molecular structure of material burning is broken down by the heat. The released atoms combine with other radicals to form new compounds which again are broken down by the heat. Thus a chain reaction occurs.

Now back to the fire…

To make a fire you will need one (1) of each of the components of the triangle or tetrahedron.

So Let’s dissect! (I always wanted to say that!)
You will need:

(1) Heat source: Can be an open flame, sun, sparks and arcs, friction (chemical action), electrical energy, and compression of gases.

And….

(1) Fuel source: Can be Gases (natural gas, propane, Butane, hydrogen, Acetylene, Carbon Monoxide etc), Liquids (gasoline, Kerosene, Turpentine, Alcohol, Cod liver oil, paint, varnish, lacquer, olive oil etc.), and Solids (Coal, wood, paper, cloth, wax, grease, leather, plastic, sugar, grain, hay, cork etc).

And then you will need….

The Oxygen source: It only takes 16% of the 21% of oxygen to support burning, and some fuel materials already contain sufficient oxygen within their make-up to support burning.

So let’s make fire…hypothetically…

You pour gasoline (a fuel source) on the open ground (which is surrounded by oxygen) and light a match (a heat source-open flame)
and…

you get Fire!


Throw some wood (another fuel source) into the mix and slap a steak over it and you have…
 

a BBQ!


Well there you have it! The Basics of a Fire Triangle or a FireTetrahedron.

So before you rush out and start fires (Oh and I didn’t tell you how to do it just in case the Fire Department should ask), the important thing to remember is this: Call 911!


Hey why don’t you check out some other "T" post by clicking here:


http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/02/alphabe-thursdays-letter-t.html

I hear they are burning down the house with some smoking hot stories over there!

Just kidding! ~Ames






17 comments:

Pondside said...

I've got a lovely fire going for this snowy day - I'll look at it differently when I go back to feed it!

JJ said...

Thanks, Ames.

Jo said...

lol ... i loved the BBQ part!

edenhills said...

How fun! I really wondered where you were headed with this.

Teresa

House Revivals said...

Thanks! I enjoyed this very informative post -- and I'm glad you kept it simple :)
~Amanda

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I learned so much reading this post.

Judie said...

OMG! And I chose to NOT write about quantum theory for the "Q" week! I could have done it, and everyone would have understood it about as much as I understand this! Well, there's always next year. Now I am going outside to make fire.

EG Wow said...

This is the first I've heard of a fire triangle. :) But it all makes sense, I think. To make a fire you need fuel, heat and oxygen...right? :)

Natasha said...

This post is making me wish it was winter here Down Under and that I could light a nice Toasty fire!

Best wishes,
Natasha

Nick Thomas said...

As a chemist by profession, I still enjoy a good conflagration.

Oh, and it would be remiss of me not to say Happy (belated) Presidents Pets Day - the day after Presidents Day, as I like to call it. In the US, we love our presidents..... pets. See my blog if you’re in the mood for a good ol' irreverent howl.

jen said...

911 That's my best option. Too many kids around to remember all that!

CollectIn Texas Gal said...

I was going to say you'd make a good Survivor Candidate with all that FSS..Fire Starting Science...but I think all you get on Redemption Island this go round is Sticks and Flint! I must say though, I'm impressed with your Tetrahedron Thingie and the fact that such a complex thingie makes BBQ!

Donnie said...

My hubby is the neighborhood burner of all things natural. Limbs, leaves tree trunks. The neighbors just pile them up for Don and he gets the matches as soon as we come back from Florida in the spring.

Jenny said...

Ames. You are a first class nut!

I adore you!

This was a terrific stop this week on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's letter "T".

Love your segue to BBQ.

A+++++

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

haha! Love that oxygen + heat + fuel =BBQ! Yahoo! I love BBQs!

Blessings & Aloha!
...finally have a chance to get to more reutrn blog visits! Thank you for stopping by!!! I would love to see your mosiac tile rug that you created at your last house. Do you have a photo of it?

Vicki aka Jake said...

Reminds me of the Firefighter training I took in CA...haha! I won't talk about the BBQ's we had :)
This was cute!

Jingle said...

This is so creative..

well done.
:)