Saturday, January 29, 2011

Saturday Centus #39 ~ Never Give Up!

It's Saturday! Time for Jenny Matlock's Saturday Centus. This week I am dedicating my contribution to Jenny. The humor in her stories brings me such joy. The encouragement I receive from her comments give me hope that one day I will be published. So with that said, on to the fun.

This week’s prompt is in bold: "she lifted the stack of letters from the ancient chest" graciously provided by Judie from http://rogueartistsspeak.blogspot.com/ and we are back to using UP to 100 words to tell our story. The prompt does not count for your 100 words AND it must be left intact in the body of your story. No illustrations are permitted. The story can be fact or fiction.

If you haven't already done so, please stop by Jenny's blog (off on my tangent) and check out some pretty talented and creative writing by clicking here:

http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/01/saturday-centus-she-lifted.html


And now on to my contribution…..
~~~
Meela was down in the dumps again. Today’s rejection letter sent her into the secret closet under the stairwell where she lifted the stack of letters from the ancient chest and revisited her inspiration. Great grandmother Jenny’s rejection letters from publishers she inherited along with a note that read "Never give up!"

"G" "G" Jenny, she lovingly called her, never gave up hope. "G" "G" Jenny ended up being one of the most famous authors in history. Famous for her "Meenie", "Miney" and "Mo" stories about her granddaughters. "Mo" was Meela’s mother.

"I can do this!" Meela said to herself."If  "G" "G" Jenny didn’t give up, neither will I!"

~Ames

21 comments:

elysabeth said...

I love it - what an inspiration to fellow writers and to someone who is encouraging you on your trek to publication. I'm sure you have some stories ready to be published so please don't give up. I truly enjoyed this - totally different than the others posted - E :)

------------------
Elysabeth Eldering
Author of the Junior Geography Detective Squad, 50-state, mystery, trivia series

Where will the adventure take you next?

http://jgdsseries.blogspot.com
http://jgdsseries.weebly.com

Cherie said...

Great take on the prompt and very inspirational!

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

I love your playfulness with words, Ames. (E.g., Meenie, Miney and Mo). This is fun and encouraging. Great soundtrack too.
PS I hope you're feeling better!
xoRobyn

Kat said...

I loved your take on the prompt Ames. Very unique, and very clever. I hope you don't ever give up your dreams of being published! Kat

Judie said...

Ames! Great take on the prompt! All those rejection letter poor granny got! I never would have saved them. Glad she did, though.

Sue said...

Any writer has to love this Centus! And I do!!

=)

Viki said...

I loved this immensely. This was such a great little story. Good job.

Poetic Justice said...

Very Nice, heartfelt and inspirational!

Bookie said...

A novel approach! Good job...

nimaruichi said...

Loved it!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Love it, Ames! Great way to stay inspired! Happy weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Tina said...

Oh awesome! Very original, and nice that it's dedicated to our hostess, Jenny. Thanks for doing! I'm sure it will mean a lot to her,

Dazee Dreamer said...

Very good. And I loved the PMA of the story.

Jo said...

some much needed inspiration and a reminder to us all ... loved this!

articlesoffaithandfancy said...

Great one! So true!

ain't for city gals said...

Especially if you are talking about Jenny from Arizona...love her!

Jenny said...

I love this! Oh, you just made my heart smile! Seriously. This was really lovely Miss A. I'll visit again in sequence but for now rest your fears...this was touching and lovely. Thank you.

JackSamMum said...

Clever...I liked how I instantly related to the writer's need to see rejection letters as part of the job and what a lovely form of encouragement Meela found!

cj Schlottman said...

What a clever way to take this prompt! I love your way with words and the inspiration they evoke. We could all uses a little "Never Give Up" reminder.

Thanks..........cj

gaelikaa said...

Well done! Loved it!

Nonna Beach said...

Ahhhh...perfect...being inspired by other writers is so wonderful !!!