Saturday, January 8, 2011

Saturday Centus # 36~ The Grapes of Wrath?

Yodelayheho! Hee hee! It's Saturday and time for more torture from everyone's favorite memememememe hostess with the (hic) mostess, (hee hee) Jenny Matlock. This time she didn't give us much to go on 'cept this stinkin lil picture of an orororange (hic) with snanasnow on it. Humm (hic) scuze memememe I really had to pull on my thinkin cap and dradradragg out the ole wine bottle for this one. (hic) She left me no choice in the mamamatter. She's done drove me to the drink! Torturous wowowowoman! That's ok, I dont need no stinkin prompt. I got my bottle (hic) o wawawine (hic) for i n s p i r a t i o n (birp) and I'll do jez fafafafine (hic) without it! Just in case, you might wanna go read some oooother good stories by clicking here:
http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/01/saturday-centus-shake-up-hey-dont.html

Now where wuz I? Oh yeah, life in the Citrus industry in Florida is not an eassssy life. You knaknaknow the sayin' "It takes a village to raise up the dead?" Or is it "It takes a child to dig up the dededead?" Whatever. Anyhoo, in Florida it takes a village to save an orange grove.

~~~

Roz was out of breath, “We heard the train whistle blow and came as fast as we could. How’s it lookin’ Doc?”


“Not good. The temps will go below 32 degrees. The Coach is rounding up the basket ball team and the boys from the shop class to help fire up the pots. Hell must have frozen over. We’d be better off if it would just snow. This grove is all I’ve got left. If I lose it, I’ll be growing grapes. Maybe the Lord prefers wine. I’ll have the good Reverend put in a kind word with the maker.”

Tootleloo (hic)~Ames

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please say prayers for the families of the Tucson Shooting tragedy.~Ames

21 comments:

Kat said...

This was a great little story Ames. We have a lot of peach orchards south of us, and we always see stories about the entire town turning out to help save the trees. And your intro had me rolling with laughter. You are too funny! Kat

Sue said...

heehee

You had me at the intro.

But I loved the story, too.

=)

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Great (hic) story:@)

jfb57 said...

Great take on the post! Cheers!

Koby said...

A whole town will turn out to save trees? Amazing, and I loved that you took your post there.

Anna said...

Wonderful story!
I don't know very much about this, but it occured to me that at some time the temperature may drop low enough in those areas where citrus fruits are grown. What do they do? I saw this film set in a wine-valley where they put out these warming pots to save the plants from freezing.
I like your SC-text. I don't know if they would do something similar in an orange grove, but you have written your story making it believable.
Lots of fun too.
They say that drinking a glass of water upside down helps!
Best wishes,
Anna
Anna's SC#36

Anna said...

OOOh, almost forgot to say: I like the references to John Steinbeck's novel here! I can't remember the title of the film. It was not a classic, but a fairly recent film (10-15 years old.) I think Keno Reeves played the male lead.
Anna

Anna's SC#36

Terra said...

Personally I prefer the OJ, but hey, who am i? Loved your story adn your build up too....Jenny can do that to us can't she!

articlesoffaithandfancy said...

This image must strike fear in the hearts of orange growers every where. Nice take.

Tgoette said...

Oh Ames you are too funny! I loved your hilarious spin on this week's prompt! Truly inspirational! You go girl!

5thsister said...

I laughed out loud at "maybe the Lord prefers wine" comment. You are a witty one!

Elaine said...

Very cute Ames and yes you passed the test...I didn't want the little blog things showing up and it did

noexcuses said...

Very funny! I loved that the help came from tall kids! It's a serious subject, but you gave it some great humor!

Jo said...

i think the Lord does prefer wine ... perhaps a fruity little iced wine?
I enjoyed this!

Judie said...

Ames, thanks for your comment on my post. I just couldn't come up with a post for this week's centus. Yours is great, though!!

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

You're great, Ames. You always take us to a fun and unique place and time. Wherever/however you found this music - well - it's interestingly perfect for this post.
xoRobyn

Rek said...

Maybe he can offer the finest champagne next time.....really lovely, humorous plot and post...

JJ said...

Ames: I was speaking with God just this morning, and He suggested you send me two bottles. Happy weather from a fellow Floridian!

gautami tripathy said...

Great post!

destined destination

Tina said...

Smiling. That was a fun one! Makes me want a glass of wine...

Jenny said...

Ames, this was some awesome dialogue. When I read it out loud it was spot on! That is a hard thing to write like.

I hope your hangover is better by now and your headache is gone enough to read shouting without hurting:

DARN GOOD WRITING THERE, OH CREATIVE ONE!

Thanks for linking.