Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christmas Cards? or E Cards?


Dortie's Card
This little card was given to me by a very dear old friend named Dortie. Dortie is no longer with us. But every year I pull her precious little card out and remember her at Christmas.

Today I got a really cute Christmas E-card in my email in box. The sad thing about it is I could not show it to anyone else. I couldn't place it in a pretty bowl for my family to enjoy reading or looking at it during this Christmas time. I couldn't save it and look back at it next year, or the year after that. I was so disappointed.

So there it is. Is this the end of sending Christmas cards through the mail to your neighbors and friends and relatives faraway? What if someone doesn't have a computor? Will you just say oh well?

I'd rather pay 44 cents for a stamp and give someone something other than a bill to open up this month. In addition to that, I'd rather support the United States Post Office who in turn employs many postal workers and carriers.

Letter writing is becoming a way of the past. Just like cursive writing is being done away with in schools. For all of you christians out there, let's continue to spread good tidings of great joy by sending Christmas cards through the United States Postal Service.

Luke 2:10-14 (King James Version)

10. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
12. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
13. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
14. Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

Blessings!~Ames

4 comments:

JJ said...

Ames: At the turn of the 20th century, people could not see their friends and family as often because of transportation difficulties. The Christmas card was perfect. We have turned a beautiful tradition into an obligation. I have heard stories of folks who became angry with one another for not sending out cards. That's not Christmas spirit. In any event, I agree. An e-card is not as good as a phone call.

All that being said, allow me to electronically wish you a very Merry Christmas!!

Ms. Bake-it said...

E-cards are nice, but I too like to receive a handwritten note or card in the mail. There is a button on my blog regarding the Art of Letter Writing which is hosted by High Heeled Life, you might want to check it out.

Thanks for stopping by and entering my giveaway!

~ Tracy

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

I do miss those days when people actually sent holiday cards in the mail. I've been pretty routine about sending out a new year's mailing.
xoRobyn

CollectIn Texas Gal said...

I look forward every year to receiving Christmas Cards with stamps, and since the age of the www, I receive fewer and fewer with stamps. I have printed out a few email cards to add to the hard copy cards I save for every year. I, too have some very special cards from years gone by that I treasure. Someday those Ecards that I've printed out will be Treasures, too! Hope your week before Christmas is filled with JOY!