Friday, November 19, 2010

Thrifty Finds

This week I am participating in a little Linky party called Junkin Finds. It's being hosted by Linda over at her A LA CARTE blog . You'll be amazed at some of the nice thrifty things that friends can find while out and about. You can check them out here:

http://ljm-alacarte.blogspot.com/2010/11/junkin-finds-friday-4.html

You can click on this picture to enlarge it.

Christmas poppers from Lilian Vernon $3.00. These will look great on my Christmas table!

Small scrapbook, appears to be unused $1.99. Perfect for our latest trip to Walton's Mountain! This particular one is $9.99 at Target.

A Pooh book for my new little granddaughter (to be here soon). $.39 cents.

Another yellow doily. $.50 cents. I guess you can tell I like yellow.

A vintage beaded orange and 4 new green napkins. I purchased these in an antique store in Amelia Island. The napkins are hem stitched and were $1.97 each. The orange was $8.00. A little expensive but the orange is really heavy and I have been looking for beaded fruit without the sequins. And this one doesn't have any sequins!



You can click on this picture to enlarge it.

I found these little gems at an estate sale here in my neighborhood.

The green Fire King vase was $1.00. This makes my third green piece. Now I am a collector of green FireKing. I still collect the red and the Jadite too!

The sweet little honey pot was $1.00

And I saved the best for last. A pair of white milk glass spiral taper candle holders made by Westmoreland. Shown in the first picture. I put the black tapers from Halloween in them so you can see how they look. I just love them! They match my milk glass fruit bowl and they were only $9.99 for the pair. I have seen higher prices for them so I feel I did well.
~~~
About Thrifting
  • I have noticed recently that the prices are really going up at the SPCA Thrift store and The Goodwill retail store in my area. I like to donate and shop at the SPCA because I am all for helping out the animals, but I hesitate to buy anything now unless it's really a bargain. So do your homework first before you go and know what the going price is for something. Let the clerks know that you can buy it new for the same price. They won't change the way they price items unless you bring it to their attention.  
  • Another thing I have noticed that The SPCA and Salvation Army do, but not Goodwill,  is that they  mark on things with indelible ink, like Sharpies. It is very hard to get off and sometimes I won't buy the item if I don't think I can get it off. Bring this to the attention of the clerks that work there. That is the only way you will get them to stop doing this.
Happy Hunting!
~Ames



6 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Ames I agree so many things are overpriced at the thrifts. I love all your finds but my favorite are the spiral milk glass candle holders. They are gorgeous. Thanks for joining Junkin Finds Friday. hugs, Linda

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You did get some nice finds. Yes - the over pricing is big here also, and I feel sure they have lost many customers as a result. Me for one!
Enjoy your weekend.

Susan said...

Nice finds, Ames. I especially love the milkglass candlesticks....very classy!

I want to thank you so much for visiting my blog and commenting. It was great to have your visit and I hope you'll come back often. Susan

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Overpricing on some things here too. It seemed to happen overnight this summer. I am very cautious about what I buy.
Looks like you got some good bargains on all of your finds. I especially love the milk glass candle holders.
Have a great weekend, Annette

Betty said...

Those candlesticks are really nice! I completely agree with you about the prices at Goodwill. Prices went up two years ago, and then again, this year. I have to be really careful. And I can only shop the Salvation Army on half-price days. It's the Goodwill around here that goes crazy with the sharpies. They even mark on clothing!

Erin@likegrandmas said...

Love that vase!!!