Wednesday, November 10, 2010

On Walton's Mountain

                                   

This past weekend I wanted to see my older sister and was itching to see some spectacular fall color. A lot of you live where you have seasonal changes. Mostly here in sunny Florida we have green spring, green summer and green winter, sans the snow, but no fall.

One year my husband took me on a driving trip. One of our stops was in upstate New York to visit a childhood friend who was transplanted there. This was when I got my first glimpse of fall. Pumpkins decorated front lawns, leaves the size of dinner plates in bright red, orange and yellow covered streets and lawns, and the atmosphere was charged with fall festivals, hay rides, and corn mazes. So much fun!

I wanted to experience that feeling again. So I bugged my sister every other day by phone.

”Have the leaves turned yet?”

“What do the leaves look like now?”

“If I come this weekend will they be ready?

“What? Yeh, yeh, I am coming to see you, but I don’t want to miss the leaves!!!” She didn’t understand. She hasn’t lived in Florida for some time now and was already “acclimated.”

To me it’s like that line in the move The Color Purple, “I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field and don't notice”, and I feel the same way about fall!

Well she must have been annoyed with me because she said “Come this weekend. We will have our first hard freeze and it will be just beautiful! “

                                       

Well, I was a little disappointed. Some trees were beautiful, that is the one’s I could see from the back seat of our SUV while my husband was speeding down the road. My sister and I were in the back seat and my husband and brother-in-law were in the front seat. By the time my husband said “oooh look at that one!” it had already shot past me. Now, I don’t know about you, but I am not a contortionist. I cannot twist my neck like Linda Blair in the “Exorcist”! Buggers!

So I did a little back seat nagging. Ok I did a lot of back seat nagging! This was beginning to smell like a conspiracy. My sister wanted me to come and see HER and NOT the leaves, and my husband was annoyed for driving me there so he was going to do so as fast as he could in order to get back to his easy chair. Ok well maybe not. When you are mad, you can imagine things

I actually took these pictures when we stopped for gas.


 
Then we were lost. My husband not knowing where he is going (and he never reads signs) got us lost. My sister had out her map book. She would say turn here and then say “woops” after we were five miles down the road. My sister said “Think of it has an adventure!” I said listen, I watch a lot of “Criminal Minds” and I see what happens to people who get lost on desolate roads where there are no street lights, signs or lines on the roads. By the way, Virginia had a lot of roads with no lines, no signs and there are No street lights!! It started to get comical when my sister and I started calling my hubs the Skipper and our car the “SS Minnow”. We were singing the theme to Gilligan’s Island and we were on a “Three Hour Tour”. Oh well, you had to be there.


Eventually, we ended up in a little town called Schuyler, Virginia. It was the home of Earl Hamner Jr. He wrote and produced a 1970’s television show called “The Walton’s”. He wrote about the life and times of his own family “The Hamner’s” but changed the name to the “Walton’s”. Do you remember that TV show? Our family watched every episode. It was good wholesome TV programming, unlike some of today’s shows.







Anyway, we toured the “Walton’s Mountain Museum” where I took pictures of the recreated TV living room, kitchen, John-Boys bedroom, and Ike Godsey’s General Store. And while I was there I bought the “Baldwin Sisters Recipe.” Remember those two little coy so called teatotallers?

It was nice to step back in time. Afterwards we had a lovely picnic outside on top of Walton’s Mountain. My sister and I packed meatloaf for sandwiches, chips, big red seedless grapes and ice cold root beer. It was lovely and all was not lost!
I did a little "drive-by" shooting and here is what I captured.

 



At least the girls had a road trip. Pictured here in their new Red stroller.

2 comments:

RawknRobynsGoneBlogWild said...

Oh, I loved that show, Ames. I've often wondered about the Walton's house. I'm excited to see these pictures. I had a crush on John Boy, though Ben was cute too. xo

CCC said...

My goodness those pictures of the Waltons house all looked so familiar, like going back to a simpler time in my own life. Fall is long gone here so I appreciate the pictures of trees with leaves still on them. Glad you got visit with your sister too. Sisters are special.