Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Alphabe~Thursday "I" is for Ipanema

I am linking to Jenny Matlock's Alphabe~Thursday. This week is about the letter "I".  If you haven't already done so, you can stop by Jenny's blog and read some fun and creative stories here:


http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2010/11/alphabe-thursday-letter-i.html



“I” is for Ipanema
Ipanema is a neighborhood in the southern region of Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. It is the birth place of Bossa Nova and the beach at Ipanema was made famous after the song “Girl from Ipanema” was written by residents Antônio Carlos Jobim and Vinícius de Moraes as an ode to their neighborhood.
The version I grew up listening to was by Astrud Gilberto and Stan Getz.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJkxFhFRFDA

And there’s a versions for all the boys out there too!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1vmqFACFvA&feature=related

I have always loved this song and wondered where Ipanema was. The name Ipanema means bad water. Just look at that water. Doesn’t look bad to me! Actually the term “bad water” refers to poor fishing. Who cares! I wouldn’t be going there for the fishing anyway!

Lord have mercy! If I were 30 years younger and had a figure to boot, I’d be sashaying it down Ipanema beach too! Why I can just see myself lounging in a cabana, being waited on by a cabana boy..zzz..Cabannnnna boy...ZZZZZZ...


"Hon. HON!!! We're out of toilet paper again!!"

Okiedokie. Sometimes reality sucks! Gotta go. My cabana boy needs me. :-(


~Ames


This daydream was brought to you by the letter “I”.


Photo credit: Jeff Belmonte/Wikipedia

18 comments:

Tracy said...

Loved this post

myorii said...

You are too funny! Yea, if I wouldn't mind vacationing there myself :) By the way, I love that song, "Girl from Ipanema." Never knew that Ipanema was a real place either! Now I know!

Jingle Poetry said...

a lovely city, I enjoy the ocean view.
xx

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I think your reality is close to mine and my husband should know where the toilet paper is.

Theresa said...

tee hee! gotta love that!

Judie said...

Ames, that is a hoot! I always loved that song, too.

Marlee said...

Great post...love that song! I didn't realize that Ipanema was in Brazil. Never was good at geography.

Jo said...

I remember that song ... it was so popular ... Brazil has always sounded appealing to me

JJ said...

I am your newest follower from the blog hop. Please follow me as well. Thank you.

The Disconnected Writer
http://thedisconnectedwriter.blogspot.com/

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Why can't your husband stock up on toilet paper himself? I was enjoying your fantasy.

Thanks for the wonderfully supportive comment on my blog. Height is just a state of mind. xo

Jackie said...

Lol Ipanema sounds lovely . I love beaches too . I grew up really close to one .

Charmingdesigns said...

I'm so glad you stopped by to visit me. I love your blog!! I'm going to go looking around some more

Tina said...

I had never heard of it before today. Looks stunning.

Brenda said...

I remember that song but had never seen the artist. Did not know there was a real Ipanema, thanks for sharing.

Pondside said...

I loved that song when I was a girl - it conjured up visions of romance and exotic places. I've never seen the real beach, but it's on my list.

Lourie said...

This is the second time I have seen pictures of a paradise I would love to go to! And instead of my husband interrupting, it is my kids. *sigh*

Jenny said...

Thank you! I have to admit I've always wondered about that song, too, but have been too lazy to research what it was really about!

Thanks for the daydream.

It was perfect for a Sunday afternoon reading through Alphabe-Thursday links!

This was a great post!

I say we all head out right after Thanksgiving. We'll leave the kids and husbands to clean up after Thanksgiving.

Thanks for a fun stop!

A+

PERMANENT POSIES said...

Ames.....I think I would like to sit on that beach too. It looks beautiful. Your cabana boy sounds like mine...ha.