Thursday, November 11, 2010

Alphabe~Thursday "H" is for Hankerin


 
I am linking to Jenny Matlock's Alphabe~Thursday. This week is about the letter "H". If you haven't already done so, you can stop by Jenny's blog and read some fun and creative stories here:
http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2010/11/alphabe-thursday-letter-h.html

Hankerin'


Since I have been on a diet, I have had a hankerin’ for food. Real food. Not the kind of food that is prepackaged for your daily caloric intake food. Not the kind of food that tastes worse than eating the box it came in, which I am relegated to eating on this diet.

I’ve got a hankerin’ for real home cooked Food! Pot Roast, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Green beans seasoned with bacon, corn bread slathered with sweet cream butter and sweet tea (the house wine of the south).…oh I’m dying here! My husband made Roast chicken, scalloped potatoes and asparagus this evening for his supper. Why I oughta #$@^@!!

Hankerin’- want, desire, craving. Best if used in Southern states.

Used in a sentence: “Hey Ames jeweat? Nawdjew? Got me a hankerin’ fer some real food!

15 comments:

Jingle said...

sweet H post..

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I'm not even on a diet and that menu is making me have a "hankerin".

xxoo,

RMW

Pondside said...

Yikes! I'm always glad when the site provides translation!
Just kidding! I completely get the word hankerin' when it's about food!

gabe said...

I have a hankering now too. . .

Good luck on the diet!

Rita said...

Delighted to find your lovely blog. As the daughter of a GRIT(girl raised in the south) hankerin has always been part of my vocabulary to the chagrin of my very language proper husband.

I posted a story about some of my southern experiences a few weeks ago on a meme called sunday favorites entitled "The Home Place" you my like.

Thanks for the visit to my H's this week. Your comment is like adding icing to a cake.

Deb said...

You have me laughing and hungry with this post.

H said...

It's amazing how starting a diet provokes a hankerin for food! It happens every time!

Betty (picture circa 1951) said...

Yes, eating healthy food can be very difficult. My son is supposed to watch his cholesterol and we met with a dietician. Brown rice, whole wheat pasta, fish, etc. It's not easy. You just have to throw it all to the wind every so often and splurge.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Haha...a lota hankerin' goin' on 'round my neck of the woods! :o)

Ah!!! One of my favorite beverages... (the house wine of the south)!

Blessings & Aloha!
Hope you get a chance to "mosey on down" to my place :o)

Jo said...

oh yikes ... so is the diet working??? (okay, your right, i am seriously trying to distract you from your husbands yummy food) ... tee he he

Brenda said...

Oh man I do not like dieting. I need to but do no want to. And the worse part is not being able to turn of the thoughts of all the food you would rather be eating.

nimaruichi said...

Now, I am hungry. Life is full of Hankerin', of one kind or another :)

Judie said...

Ain't nuthin better'n home cookin'!!!

Jenny said...

I always have a hankerin' girl. I swear, I could just jump on a plane and come down and join you for a big ol' home-cooked meal!

Love the way you write the 'talk'. It always cracks me up.

Thanks for linking to Alphabe-Thursday. I always adore my stops here.

A+

Splendid Little Stars said...

hankerin'......
totally with you there!