Saturday, October 9, 2010

My Knight in Shining Armor


My Knight in Shining Armor


I am so grateful to be married, and not single and struggling to meet someone. I call it the “selection process.” Here I am waiting on a park bench, under a tree, on a street corner in the Village, where I wait patiently for my husband to show up and take me to dinner. He is riding on his motorcycle to meet me, coming here with a group of our friends. All of us are going to eat Pizza together at a nice little Pizza Parlor in the Village.

As I sit here, watching people go by, listening to someone singing, her voice wafting through the air, entertaining myself while playing with my Droid, two men sit down beside me. One man is around my age, and the other man is considerably younger. They strike up a conversation with me. Before long, I realize they are a couple and actually not hitting on me. I relax. Not that I get hit on all the time. I am just self conscious as I didn’t have my wedding ring on, a result of my swollen fingers. You know, water retention and middle age. Joy.

Anyway, it just felt awkward trying to converse with men that approach you out of nowhere. I am rusty at the "selection process" and I am happily married now. I have forgotten how to strike up conversations with strangers. It must be coming back though. They invited me to go upstairs with them to the Pub for a drink, to listen to their friend sing, who was entertaining in the Pub that evening. I declined.

“I’m waiting for someone” I said. They get up; reinforce the invitation, before leaving to go hear their friend sing.

The breeze is blowing, it’s starting to get a little chilly, I’m still playing with my Droid, and I look around and see a young woman walking down the sloping sidewalk towards me. The first thing I notice is that she is barefooted. She is wearing one of those crinkly skirts, a belly dancing coin belt, and she is lighting up a cigarette. She sits down next to me. I am guessing she was the one I heard singing earlier. She looks flamboyant, like one of those new age artistic singers. Or am I profiling. I watch too much Criminal Minds.

“You look mad” she said.

“Hummmm” I’m thinking to myself, “what a strange way to strike up a conversation with a stranger.”

“I’m not mad; I’m just waiting for someone.” I said.

Then she starts to tell me she is new to the area, and loves it here and blah, blah, blah,…. blah, blah, blah is all I hear because when I look up I see my knight in shining armor walking towards me. And he is holding my sweater. Look at him, he is so handsome! I love him! I'm happy! I am so glad to be out of selection process!





5 comments:

RawknRobynsGoneBlogWild said...

And you have every reason to be!!
xoRobyn

Viki said...

Boy, you must have been sitting at a popular spot lol.

I wouldn't even know where to begin nowadays in finding someone new and I don't think I'd want to. I have friends that are divorced and it doesn't seem fun at all.

Deb said...

Amen sister! I hated being single and didn't stay that way for long.

CCC said...

It was hard enough to find the first cowboy, where would I ever find another one? I'm so glad I don't have to look. I freak out when people I don't know talk to me like that. I just smile and go away.

Manuela@TPOH said...

I love chatting with people I don't know, but I'm glad I'm out of the whole "selection" process too.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Manuela